New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
    Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
    By John Borland
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

    Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
    Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
    antipiracy effort.

    The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
    copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
    ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
    the software remain widely available online.

    Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
    RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
    tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.

    "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
    Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
    bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
    Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
    when you can do something about it?"

    The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
    market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
    groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
    studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
    protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
    proves practical.

    Rest of article:
    http://news.com.com/New copy-proof ...5.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1026.20
    --
    "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
    doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"

    Tarkus, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Tarkus

    theyak Guest

    In article <9.com>,
    says...
    > New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
    > Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
    > By John Borland
    > Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    >
    > Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
    > Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
    > antipiracy effort.
    >
    > The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
    > copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
    > ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
    > the software remain widely available online.
    >
    > Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
    > RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
    > tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.
    >
    > "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
    > Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
    > bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
    > Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
    > when you can do something about it?"
    >
    > The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
    > market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
    > groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
    > studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
    > protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
    > proves practical.
    >
    > Rest of article:
    > http://news.com.com/New copy-proof ...5.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1026.20

    Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
    day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
    played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
    more stupid than they seem already.

    They will never learn.

    theyak, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/15/2005 12:17:15 PM, theyak wrote:

    > Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
    > day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
    > played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
    > more stupid than they seem already.
    >
    > They will never learn.

    If the studios continue to give them money, it is they who are the fools,
    not Macrovision. Macrovision is in business to sell a product; whether
    or not that product works is secondary.
    --
    "If words were cherry stems, my tongue would be in Sherilyn Fenn's
    mouth."

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"

    Tarkus, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Tarkus

    georgiarose Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
    > Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
    > By John Borland
    > Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    >
    > Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
    > Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
    > antipiracy effort.
    >
    > The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
    > copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
    > ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
    > the software remain widely available online.
    >
    > Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
    > RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
    > tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.
    >
    > "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
    > Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
    > bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
    > Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
    > when you can do something about it?"
    >
    > The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
    > market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
    > groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
    > studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
    > protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
    > proves practical.
    >
    > Rest of article:
    > http://news.com.com/New copy-proof ...5.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1026.20
    > --
    > "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
    > doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until
    > he bites you, and those black eyes roll over white."
    >
    > Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"

    A mate brought back a copy of Delovely from Thailand not so long ago and it
    is the first title I have been unable to copy. Not sure if it is a legit
    title or a pirate (probably the latter), but it has beaten me. It plays
    without issue in any ordinary standalone player but is seemingly not
    detected by any DVD drive. My Pioneer 106 or 108 refuse to acknowledge the
    discs existence, nor does my mates Lite-on or LG drives. The disc cannot be
    "explored" - it is as if there is no disc in the drive. Therefore none of
    the "rippers" work. Anyone had a similar experience?

    georgiarose, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Had a few dvd's like that as well.. They play fine in any stand alone dvd
    player. But put them in your computers dvd rom drive (even region/macro free
    ones) and the computer fails to recognise the existance of a dvd present. I
    don't know what causes this. Maybe others can shed some light on this.

    Gregory Kleverlaan, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Wasn't there a thing with audio CD's where they did something to the first
    track so a computer CD drive could not read them?

    Bruce Markowitz, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Tarkus

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Subject: Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
    > From: "Gregory Kleverlaan" <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd, alt.video.dvdr
    >
    > Had a few dvd's like that as well.. They play fine in any stand alone dvd
    > player. But put them in your computers dvd rom drive (even region/macro free
    > ones) and the computer fails to recognise the existance of a dvd present. I
    > don't know what causes this. Maybe others can shed some light on this.

    I have made this problem go away on several systems by turning off the "auto
    insert notification".

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Tarkus

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect,

    No copy protection is, or ever will be.

    > the new
    > RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
    > tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.

    At least until it's cracked, which will take about a week.

    > "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
    > Macrovision's senior director of marketing,

    "Senior director of marketing" = professional liar. What's his definition
    of "works"? If he means unbreakable, then no encryption scheme works.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Tarkus

    theyak Guest

    In article <9.com>,
    says...
    > On 2/15/2005 12:17:15 PM, theyak wrote:
    >
    > > Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
    > > day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
    > > played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
    > > more stupid than they seem already.
    > >
    > > They will never learn.

    > If the studios continue to give them money, it is they who are the fools,
    > not Macrovision. Macrovision is in business to sell a product; whether
    > or not that product works is secondary.

    True enough, I suppose.

    theyak, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Tarkus

    georgiarose Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Subject: Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
    >> From: "Gregory Kleverlaan" <>
    >> Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd, alt.video.dvdr
    >>
    >> Had a few dvd's like that as well.. They play fine in any stand alone dvd
    >> player. But put them in your computers dvd rom drive (even region/macro
    >> free
    >> ones) and the computer fails to recognise the existance of a dvd present.
    >> don't know what causes this. Maybe others can shed some light on this.
    >>

    > I have made this problem go away on several systems by turning off the
    > "auto
    > insert notification".
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    I've never had it switched on.

    georgiarose, Feb 16, 2005
  11. "theyak" <> wrote in message
    > In article <9.com>,
    > says...
    >> New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
    >> Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
    >> By John Borland
    >> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    >>
    >> Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
    >> Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
    >> antipiracy effort.
    >>
    >> The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
    >> copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
    >> ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
    >> the software remain widely available online.
    >>
    >> Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
    >> RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
    >> tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.
    >>
    >> "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
    >> Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
    >> bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
    >> Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
    >> when you can do something about it?"
    >>
    >> The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
    >> market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
    >> groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
    >> studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
    >> protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
    >> proves practical.
    >>
    >> Rest of article:
    >> http://news.com.com/New copy-proof ...5.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1026.20
    >>

    > Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
    > day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
    > played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
    > more stupid than they seem already.
    >
    > They will never learn.

    correct. they try that with audio cd`s that can`t be copied, you can run the
    cd through a hifi cd recorder and it copies...so i`ve heard...cough

    howie feltersnatch, Feb 16, 2005
  12. Tarkus

    Tims News Guest

    I'll give it 2 days b4 its cracked.The pirate market place is too large and
    funded by some big powerful people the best hackers and rogues in the world
    will be on the case within moments of the first disk being released

    --
    Tim

    Tims News, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Tarkus

    Ed Kim Guest

    georgiarose wrote:
    *snip*
    > A mate brought back a copy of Delovely from Thailand not so long ago

    and it
    > is the first title I have been unable to copy. Not sure if it is a

    legit
    > title or a pirate (probably the latter), but it has beaten me. It

    plays
    > without issue in any ordinary standalone player but is seemingly not
    > detected by any DVD drive. My Pioneer 106 or 108 refuse to

    acknowledge the
    > discs existence, nor does my mates Lite-on or LG drives. The disc

    cannot be
    > "explored" - it is as if there is no disc in the drive. Therefore

    none of
    > the "rippers" work. Anyone had a similar experience?

    i haven't had that experience, but on THE GRUDGE (and a few others),
    when i try to dvddecrypt it, i get CRC errors.

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Feb 16, 2005
  14. Tarkus

    Anoni Moose Guest

    Tims News wrote:
    > I'll give it 2 days b4 its cracked.The pirate market place is too

    large and
    > funded by some big powerful people the best hackers and rogues in the

    world
    > will be on the case within moments of the first disk being released

    You're assuming it's something crackable. AFAIK from the
    news releases, it's not a software based thing and it's
    compatible with current players. That means it's probably
    playing head-games with the way current players and DVD-drives
    are built. Some/most drives won't work, and some brands
    will (but players will be happy), is the way I read it.

    I don't know how players and dvd drives are different.

    Mike

    Anoni Moose, Feb 16, 2005
  15. Tarkus

    doS Guest

    I concur, they haven't come close to stopping me yet, and to beat all, most
    of the newer mega hit stuff doesnt use copy protection, because it is too
    expensive!!!

    http://news.com.com/New copy-proof DVDs on the way/2100-1026_3-5576375.html?

    doS, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Tarkus

    doS Guest

    yep, it is region 3......

    doS, Feb 17, 2005
  17. Tarkus

    Alpha Guest

    "Anoni Moose" <> wrote in message
    > Tims News wrote:
    >> I'll give it 2 days b4 its cracked.The pirate market place is too

    > large and
    >> funded by some big powerful people the best hackers and rogues in the

    > world
    >> will be on the case within moments of the first disk being released

    > You're assuming it's something crackable. AFAIK from the
    > news releases, it's not a software based thing and it's
    > compatible with current players. That means it's probably
    > playing head-games with the way current players and DVD-drives
    > are built. Some/most drives won't work, and some brands
    > will (but players will be happy), is the way I read it.
    >
    > I don't know how players and dvd drives are different.
    >
    > Mike

    I agree. It may very well be a combination of things, including physical
    mods to the DVD.

    Alpha, Feb 17, 2005
  18. Tarkus

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Anoni Moose wrote:
    > Tims News wrote:
    >> I'll give it 2 days b4 its cracked.The pirate market place is too
    >> large and funded by some big powerful people the best hackers and
    >> rogues in the world will be on the case within moments of the first
    >> disk being released

    > You're assuming it's something crackable.

    It's crackable. If it's built by humans, it can be broken by humans.

    Number of fool-proof copy protection schemes introduced in all of recorded
    history: zero. I expect it'll stay that way basically forever.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 17, 2005
  19. Tarkus

    Jay G. Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:35:52 -0800, Mike Kohary wrote:

    > Anoni Moose wrote:
    >> Tims News wrote:
    >>> I'll give it 2 days b4 its cracked.The pirate market place is too
    >>> large and funded by some big powerful people the best hackers and
    >>> rogues in the world will be on the case within moments of the first
    >>> disk being released

    >> You're assuming it's something crackable.

    > It's crackable. If it's built by humans, it can be broken by humans.
    >
    > Number of fool-proof copy protection schemes introduced in all of recorded
    > history: zero. I expect it'll stay that way basically forever.

    There's a statue in the middle of CIA headquarters that has a code on it
    that has yet to be completely cracked after 15 years.

    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,66334,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

    -Jay

    Jay G., Feb 17, 2005
  20. Tarkus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    georgiarose () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > A mate brought back a copy of Delovely from Thailand not so long ago and it
    > is the first title I have been unable to copy. Not sure if it is a legit
    > title or a pirate (probably the latter), but it has beaten me. It plays
    > without issue in any ordinary standalone player but is seemingly not
    > detected by any DVD drive. My Pioneer 106 or 108 refuse to acknowledge the
    > discs existence, nor does my mates Lite-on or LG drives. The disc cannot be
    > "explored" - it is as if there is no disc in the drive.

    Some DVDs from outside region 1 use the "bad sector" technique to stop
    copying, and this might make it appear as if there is no disc in the drive.

    Also, there might be multiple sessions on the disc and standalone players
    see only the "real" one, while an OS sees all of them, and the first has
    no files. A good disc explorer (like UltraISO) will see all the sessions.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Feb 17, 2005