    I did unplug the wireless router but no help,

    suggestion please,

    L.
    L., Jun 12, 2007

  2. L.

    Lem Guest

    L. wrote:
    > Not sure what has happened.
    > Been using a wireless connection to internet for 2+ years. Now I'm getting
    > the "limited or no--" msg and cannot connect.
    > There is another wireless router somewhere around here and I can connect to
    > it. It's not ours but connected to test my system to see if the problem
    > was/is with this system.
    > As far as we can tell, we haven't done anything to system to cause this
    > problem.
    > When I click repair, I get an IP of 169.254.30.151 and submast of
    > 255.255.0.0, no Default Gateway or DNS server #'s.
    >
    > I did unplug the wireless router but no help,
    >
    > suggestion please,
    >
    > L.

    The IP address of 169.254.30.151 indicates that you're not successfully
    connecting to your router (or at least, you're not getting an IP address
    from the router's DHCP server).

    Try power-cycling the router:

    turn off computer
    unplug the router and plug it back in
    wait 60 seconds
    power on the computer

    If no joy, try connecting to the router (temporarily) with an Ethernet
    cable. Access the router's configuration utility and make sure that
    settings are as you expect them (e.g., radio on; DHCP on; encryption off
    while testing, then on with known key; MAC filter off; other filters
    off; etc.).

    Can you see your SSID in the "Choose a wireless network" screen? If
    not, it's possible that some portion of the router has died. If so, the
    "brick" power supply is a likely suspect.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jun 12, 2007

  3. L.

    L. Guest

    May need some help.
    I did power on/off system, no help.

    I'm on a system writting this that is connected to the network(wired), need
    help connecting to the router to check settings. Not sure how to do that.
    The person who "normally" helps us is on vacation for next 1 1/2 weeks.

    FYI- There is a cable connected from our high speed cable modem/router to
    this router and then to another wired system, that is working ok. Did notice
    the lights on the router seem to be working ok, 'power' on, 'status'
    blinking, 'Lwan', '1' & '3' are blinking. The ones not on/blinking are
    'Wan', '2' & '4' (nothing plugged into slots 2&4).

    Can see Network Name(SSID), signal @ 60%(normal). Channel 11. Using
    Netgear Smart Config.

    Hope this helps,
    L.

    L., Jun 12, 2007
  4. Hi
    If you can connect to another system the other system it a none secure open
    system, otherwise you will not be able to connect. If you are wisley runing
    a secure system and the wirless computer can connet to a none secure system
    it meands that the wirless copmuter security has to be configured to match
    your Network security (or lost the security configuration).
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2007
  5. L.

    Lem Guest

    The typical way to access the router is to type the IP address of the
    router into your web browser. This usually is 192.168.0.1 or
    192.168.1.1. If you're not sure, it's the IP address of the "default
    gateway".

    Your best bet is to go to http://www.netgear.com/ and download the
    manual for the particular Netgear router you have. That will show you
    how to check (and set) the various router settings.

    Before you do that, what are you using for a wifi adapter in the problem
    computer? Are you using Windows to configure it or is this what you are
    using "Netgear Smart Config" for (I'm not familiar with Netgear Smart
    Config)?

    That you say that you are using Channel 11 show 60% signal strength
    suggests that you are NOT using Windows to configure the adapter. On
    the other hand, if you have not disabled Windows Wireless Zero
    Configuration (and the mfr's utility doesn't do that for you), that may
    be a source of problems. See http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    Is the box checked, as shown in the top of this screenshot?
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...tion/Properties/Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml

    I believe that the Netgear utility (if that's what you're using) should
    automatically disable Windows WZC, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

    If you're confident that you know the encryption key for your wifi
    network, try deleting the profile and re-create it with the correct key.
    Note that you can download a manual for the adapter as well as for the
    router.

    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jun 12, 2007
  6. L.

    L. Guest

    Answer/responses below between *****.

    "Lem" <> wrote in message
    > The typical way to access the router is to type the IP address of the
    > router into your web browser. This usually is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
    > If you're not sure, it's the IP address of the "default gateway".

    ******
    I take it I need to use the system that is attached to the router, not this
    on attached directly to the cable modem/router. :)
    This is what I get when I type in 192.196.1.1 on this system,
    http://www11.charter.net/search?qo=192.196.1.1&rn=JPHCqu7PTWKAR3z
    ******

    > Your best bet is to go to http://www.netgear.com/ and download the manual
    > for the particular Netgear router you have. That will show you how to
    > check (and set) the various router settings.

    ********
    Netgear is my card in the system not working. The router is a D-Link.
    ********

    > Before you do that, what are you using for a wifi adapter in the problem
    > computer? Are you using Windows to configure it or is this what you are
    > using "Netgear Smart Config" for (I'm not familiar with Netgear Smart
    > Config)?

    ************
    Using NetGear Smart Config. always had.
    ************

    > That you say that you are using Channel 11 show 60% signal strength
    > suggests that you are NOT using Windows to configure the adapter. On the
    > other hand, if you have not disabled Windows Wireless Zero Configuration
    > (and the mfr's utility doesn't do that for you), that may be a source of
    > problems. See http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    *********
    When I install the driver/utlilty program for the card, it ask to disable
    WWZConfig.
    *********

    > Is the box checked, as shown in the top of this screenshot?
    > http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...tion/Properties/Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml
    >
    > I believe that the Netgear utility (if that's what you're using) should
    > automatically disable Windows WZC, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

    ********
    correct, disabled.
    ********

    > If you're confident that you know the encryption key for your wifi
    > network, try deleting the profile and re-create it with the correct key.
    > Note that you can download a manual for the adapter as well as for the
    > router.

    *******
    Not sure on this one.

    Will check above setting with router before continuing.
    Will have to get on the one system that's attached to the router. Probably
    tomorrow.
    Please check back and thanks,
    *******

    L., Jun 12, 2007
  7. L.

    L. Guest

    Question--

    We reset our server and cable modem/router a couple weeks back but may not
    have turned OFF the wireless router.
    Could that be the problem?

    Reading about the d-link router commands and it talks about shutting things
    down and how to start back up with the cable modem/router first and so on--.

    Trying to find the simpliest things first.

    To be honest about security, we have none on this router.
    It's in the middle of a large building and I can only get 60% 15 feet from
    it. Test have shown that our laptops in parking lot can not connect. No
    that's not a good procedure and we may change that now but for now that is
    not the problem.

    L.

    L., Jun 12, 2007
  8. L.

    Lem Guest

    Yes, I meant for you to try to access the router's configuration utility
    using a computer that's connected to it with an Ethernet cable. When I
    said to look at the IP address of the "default gateway," I meant to do
    so on a computer connected by Ethernet cable to the D-Link.

    You can download a manual for the D-Link router from www.dlink.com.

    The usual address for D-Link routers is 192.168.0.1. However, this may
    well have been changed in order to accommodate the connection from your
    cable modem/router. The user name is admin and the password should be
    left blank (unless the defaults were changed).

    The typical configuration with a cable modem/router and a second
    wireless router is as follows:

    The cable modem/router will have one or more Ethernet jacks. It sounds
    as if yours has at least two.

    Most D-Link wireless routers have 4 Ethernet "LAN" ports and an Ethernet
    "WAN" or "Internet" port that is spaced apart from the other 4.

    If you have a cable or DSL modem that is NOT also a router, an Ethernet
    cable will be connected from the modem to the WAN port of the D-Link.
    If you have a combination modem/router, an Ethernet cable will be
    connected from the modem/router to one of the 4 D-Link LAN ports. The
    WAN port of the D-Link is left open. In this case, the LAN-facing IP
    address of the D-Link (the address you need to use to access its
    configuration utility) *may* be changed from its default of 192.168.0.1
    to an address that is on the same subnet as used by the router portion
    of the modem/router.

    If your cabling configuration is different than above, please include
    that info in your next post.

    Lem, Jun 13, 2007
  9. Hi
    It might be that the resetting set back some configuration to the general
    default and the system does not work together as it should. I can not tell
    since terms like, Server, Modem. Router, etc. are general terms it depends
    how the system works, what does the authentication. how IP are assigned,
    etc. There is no way to know unless some one that is familiar with the
    specific settings can give more information.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 13, 2007
  10. L.

    L... Guest

    Thanks. At home so will check tomorrow and report back.

    L.

    L..., Jun 13, 2007
  11. L.

    L... Guest

    update for tomorrow.

    I just got off phone with our "tech" guy. He's also a good friend and his
    wife was checking in with mine as we're watching their house.
    Anyway, he said that we have a cable modem from Charter. I forgot the brand.
    Then we have a wired router,d-link, as the "main" connection for, at the
    time, our 4 computers. A couple of folks ask for a wireless router so they
    could use their laptops in the building and we added a couple of more
    computers to the office so he installed another d-link wired/wireless router
    running off the "main" router. He doesn't know what happened unless someone
    may have been "playing" with the wiring/connections. We moved some desks
    around a couple weeks back so that may be a cause of the problem.

    Sorry, I'm tired and went to looong with this. I just thought I'd better get
    it down before I forgot what he told me.

    L.

    L..., Jun 13, 2007
  12. L.

    Lem Guest

    That all makes sense. In the description in my previous post, just
    substitute "wired router" for the router portion of "modem/router."

    You may end up having to wait for your tech guy to come back. If some
    setting did get reset to a default value, you may not be able to
    recognize it.

    Lem, Jun 13, 2007
  13. L.

    L. Guest

    Glad it makes sense to you. :)

    I may not have explained correctly what the setup is. Trying again after
    looking at the setup.
    We have a charter modem/router for incoming line. It's a Zyxel(Prestige 900)
    with 3 systems plugged in plus the server. Out of it a connection to a
    D-Link DSS-8+ wired router(#1) with 3 more systems plugged into it including
    the line to the D-Link DI-524 wireless router #2.
    Working backwards- router#2 is plugged into router#1 which is plugged into
    cable modem/router. Everything is working fine except my wireless
    connection.
    Thinking about unplugging #2 and bringing it over to my office plugging it
    in between this sytem(wired) before messing with/checking the settings.
    The person that has their system plugged into #2 can just plug directly into
    #1 so it doesn't matter where #2 is setup.
    I would not want to mess up someone else's system.

    I'm trying to fix a problem and learn at the same time. scarry

    Thoughts please?

    L.

    Still don't understand why the wired system into #2 is working but not the
    wireless(mine).

    L., Jun 13, 2007
  14. L.

    L... Guest

    12:30pm update...

    We plugged in a Belkin wireless on this system. This system(wired) is
    working ok but same problem with wireless system. The card on the wireless
    system shows the Belkin but will not connect.
    I took the tower home for lunch and it pickup and connected to a neighbors
    wireless router so I doubt it's my system/card that is the problem.
    correct??

    question- would it make any difference if I unplugged this cable and plugged
    it into the cable modem/router(Prestige 900) bypassing the #1, d-link,
    router?
    IOW- could the problem be because I'm running the wireless router(Belkin,
    d-link) through another d-link wired router AND through the Charter
    modem/router even though the wired part/connection is working fine?

    Hope this isn't getting to confussing for you.

    L.

    Someone suggested I take the card out of the tower, uninstall all software
    and start over. I did take card out, started system, shutdown, reinstalled
    card and started system, no go... I'm going to beat this thing yet. :)

    L..., Jun 13, 2007
  15. L.

    Lem Guest

    Your system is complicated enough so that you really are probably better
    off waiting until the person who is familiar with the setup comes back.

    Your DI-524 should have 5 ports on the back. Four of these are in one
    group and the 5th, labeled "WAN," is next to the power connection.

    Confirm that (a) nothing is plugged into the WAN jack and (b) an
    Ethernet cable goes from the DSS-8 to one of the other 4 jacks on the
    DI-524.

    It's not clear to me where you have connected your computer. Connect
    the Ethernet cable from your computer to one of the 3 open ports (NOT
    the WAN port) on the DI-524.

    Can you connect to the Internet?

    If yes, then the problem is in the wifi portion of the DI-524. Given
    that you can connect to ANOTHER wifi network, the problem is either that
    there is a security setting on the DI-524 that is blocking you or the
    wifi radio is broken. You said that you have no security on your wifi
    network. You also said that your Netgear adapter utility showed the
    DI-524 broadcasting at 60% strength on channel 11. This suggests to me
    that the wifi radio receiver of the DI-524 is faulty.

    I don't know what to tell you regarding the Belkin wireless router.
    However, your network is complex enough that just taking a wifi router
    out of the box, or from someone's home wifi network, and plugging it
    into the DSS-8 (or the Zyxel) probably wouldn't work.

    And no, it shouldn't make any difference if you plug either a computer
    or the DI-524 into the DSS-8+ or the Zyxel. The DSS-8+ should be
    transparent.

    Lem, Jun 13, 2007
  16. L.

    L. Guest

    again, thanks for all the help you're giving me. if nothing else Im
    learning....
    See below for answers/comments.

    "Lem" <> wrote in message

    > Your system is complicated enough so that you really are probably better
    > off waiting until the person who is familiar with the setup comes back.

    *************
    Will probably end updoing that. I just wnated to learn and fix if possible.
    *************

    > Your DI-524 should have 5 ports on the back. Four of these are in one
    > group and the 5th, labeled "WAN," is next to the power connection.

    ****
    correct.
    ****
    > Confirm that (a) nothing is plugged into the WAN jack and (b) an Ethernet
    > cable goes from the DSS-8 to one of the other 4 jacks on the DI-524.

    ***********
    Nothing plugged into WAN. Ethernet is running from DSS to jack on 524.
    Another line runs to system that works.
    ***********

    > It's not clear to me where you have connected your computer. Connect the
    > Ethernet cable from your computer to one of the 3 open ports (NOT the WAN
    > port) on the DI-524.
    >
    > Can you connect to the Internet?

    ******
    There is a system plugged into DI-524 and it's working. My system(wireless)
    is in another room ~ 35 ft. away.
    I'm sending this on my other system(wired). I have two systems, one wired
    and one wireless. The reason it's wireless is that in this old building,
    it's difficult to run a line that far. That's why I started and have been
    running wireless for 2+ years.
    ******

    > If yes, then the problem is in the wifi portion of the DI-524. Given that
    > you can connect to ANOTHER wifi network, the problem is either that there
    > is a security setting on the DI-524 that is blocking you or the wifi radio
    > is broken. You said that you have no security on your wifi network. You
    > also said that your Netgear adapter utility showed the DI-524 broadcasting
    > at 60% strength on channel 11. This suggests to me that the wifi radio
    > receiver of the DI-524 is faulty.
    >
    > I don't know what to tell you regarding the Belkin wireless router.
    > However, your network is complex enough that just taking a wifi router out
    > of the box, or from someone's home wifi network, and plugging it into the
    > DSS-8 (or the Zyxel) probably wouldn't work.

    *********
    I connected the Belkin to this wired system and it's working ok but I have
    the same problem with the wireless system.
    What I'm going to do tomorrow is connect a line from the router to the
    wireless system. I have to run a 30' cable to it but it'll be a good test.
    Do it early before everyone gets in here so no tripping. :)
    ********

    > And no, it shouldn't make any difference if you plug either a computer or
    > the DI-524 into the DSS-8+ or the Zyxel. The DSS-8+ should be
    > transparent.

    ********
    It didn't.
    ********

    L., Jun 13, 2007
  17. L.

    Lem Guest

    The following is for educational purposes only. There are no
    suggestions on how to fix your problem. There probably is some simple
    explanation for what's going on, but from this distance, I can't see it.

    It helps to be precise in referring to the various pieces of equipment,
    because different devices perform different functions.

    You have a modem that converts the signals coming from your ISP on a
    coaxial cable to the network packets (TCP/IP) that your network
    interface cards (NICs) can use.

    You next have a router, which acts as the interface or gateway between
    two networks -- the Internet and your Local Area Network (LAN)
    http://practicallynetworked.webopedia.com/TERM/r/router.html

    Your ISP assigns you an IP address. If you use a browser to go to
    http://whatsmyip.org/ you'll see this IP address, which is how the rest
    of the Internet communicates with ALL of the computers attached to your
    LAN. That is, if you perform this experiment on ANY of the computers on
    your LAN, each one will show the SAME IP address (unless you shut down
    and re-boot the Zyxel, and even then it likely will get the same address).

    One of the functions of the router is to route information that comes in
    to that single IP address to the appropriate computer on the LAN. This
    is a process known as Network Address Translation (NAT)
    http://practicallynetworked.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NAT.html

    In addition to the ISP-assigned IP address on the "WAN-side" of the
    router, the router also has a "LAN-side" IP address. This is the
    address that all of the LAN computers see, and it is the "gateway"
    address to which the LAN computers send info that is intended to go to
    the Internet. The LAN IP address of home routers is set by the router
    manufacturer. Typically this is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1; some US
    Robotics routers use 192.168.123.254, and some SMC and Belkin routers
    use 192.168.2.1. Usually there is a way to manually override the
    default value of this address.

    Typically, another function of the router is to assign local IP
    addresses to the computers on the LAN. This is done using a Dynamic
    Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server.
    http://practicallynetworked.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DHCP.html

    In order for the computers on the LAN to be able to "talk" to each
    other, they must be on the same subnet. Without getting into yet more
    details, for most small LANs, this usually means that the first 3 parts
    of the 4-part IP addresses are the same for each computer, e.g.,
    192.168.0.x, where x can be a number from 2 to 254 (1 is the router
    itself and 255 is the "broadcast" address that goes to all computers on
    the LAN). http://practicallynetworked.webopedia.com/TERM/s/subnet.html
    The router's DHCP server takes care of this.

    In your case, the cable modem and router are combined into one box.
    This is your Zyxel Prestige. This box also incorporates a network
    switch at the LAN side of the router. From what you have written, it
    seems as if there are 5 LAN ports on this box (the "server," 3 systems,
    and the connection to the next box).

    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2006/router_switch_hub.asp

    The D-Link DSS-8+ actually is only a switch, not a router. It has 8
    ports. In effect, what this device does for you is make the Zyxel box
    appear to have 7 more ports, or a total of 11 ports (one of the Zyxel's
    5 ports and one of the DSS-8's 8 ports are used to connect the two
    boxes). Connecting a device to the DSS-8 is equivalent to connecting it
    directly to the Zyxel.

    The D-Link DI-524 also is a combination device. It is a NAT router, a
    4-port switch, and a wireless access point. A wireless access point
    acts like a switch, except it uses radio communication. Practically,
    it's limited to about 25 or so connections.

    In your network configuration, you don't want to use the NAT router
    function of the DI-524. That would separate the computers on one side
    of the DI-524 (those plugged into its LAN jacks or connected by
    wireless) from those on the other side (connected to the WAN jack); in
    the same way that the Zyxel NAT router separates your LAN computers from
    the Internet, they couldn't share resources. The way to avoid using the
    router function is to connect the link from the DSS-8 to one of the 4
    switched LAN ports on the DI-524 rather than to the WAN port. This adds
    an extra 3 LAN ports, so that now you have 13 available LAN ports (plus
    the wireless access point).

    Recall, however, that in order to ensure that the computers are on the
    same subnet, we wanted the DHCP server in the Zyxel to be responsible
    for assigning IP addresses. The DI-524 also has a DHCP server, and it
    is a bad idea to have more than one DHCP server on a single network.
    Therefore, when your system was setup, the DHCP server on the DI-524
    probably was disabled.

    In order to access the computer inside the DI-524 (to enable/disable the
    DHCP server, set security, to check on the operation of the radio,
    etc.), you enter its IP address into a web browser (on a computer that
    is connected to the DI-524, preferably by Ethernet cable). Normally,
    you would find the router's LAN IP address in the User Guide (for a
    DI-524, the default is 192.168.0.1). However, the DI-524's default IP
    address almost certainly conflicts with the Zyxel. Either it is on a
    different subnet (if, for example the Zyxel is using address of the form
    192.168.1.x) or it is the SAME as the Zyxel's IP address. Thus, when
    the DI-524 is connected as above, its default LAN IP address must be
    changed.

    However, unlike the computers connected to your LAN, the DI-524 can't be
    configured to have its IP address automatically assigned by the Zyxel
    DHCP server; it must be configured manually to be on the same subnet
    used by the Zyxel, but not in the range of addresses that the Zyxel may
    assign. Once the LAN IP address of the DI-524 has been configured, any
    computer on the LAN may access its configuration utility.

    I don't know what the IP address of the DI-524 might have been set to.
    If the "default gateway" (the LAN address of the Zyxel) that shows up on
    a wired computer is 192.168.0.1, you might try 192.168.0.2 (again, on a
    wired computer). Or, you might open a command prompt window and type
    "net view" (without quotes) and press Enter. You might be able to
    identify the router from this. Of course, your tech friend who set up
    the system might have configured a password to access the DI-524's
    configuration utility. In that case, even if you correctly found the
    DI-524's IP, you wouldn't be able to access its configuration pages.
    The default username is admin and the default password is blank.

    Lem, Jun 14, 2007
  18. L.

    L. Guest

    Update @ 11:15am
    Everything is working....

    We did two things.
    1. We turned everything off. Charter(Prestige) modem/router, DSS and the 524
    and turned back on in that order then our individual computers.

    2. I uninstalled the Netgear software(smart config) and let Windows XP
    reconfigure.

    Not sure which worked but it's working.

    Will read and print your comments below for educational and reference.

    Many thanks for hanging in here with me.

    L.

    L., Jun 14, 2007
  19. L.

    L. Guest

    Do have one ???

    When I go to My Network Places to view folders/files that are set to share,
    all systems except this wireless one have the files/folders under Network
    Location as ""local network"". On this wireless one it has ""internet"".
    Is that a problem?
    I ran Network Setup Wizard and wondering if I selected the wrong profile.

    L.

    L., Jun 14, 2007