    Do I first download the latest Microsoft critical updates.

    Any useful suggestions appreciated.

    Bob

    Bob B, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Bob B

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:42:24 +0100, "Bob B" <> wrote:

    >I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    >question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from getting
    >a virus.
    >
    >Should I start by downloading a firewall (say zone alarm)

    Not yet
    > although I have>switched on the XP build in one.

    Good move....

    >Get a virus programme like AVG or load the Norton system works pro 2003
    >(which I have on disk) and get the updates.
    >
    >Do I first download the latest Microsoft critical updates.

    Yes. First thing to do.

    Unk, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    The built-in firewall will protect you while you
    FIRST visit Windowsupdate and install all critical
    updates. Once you have done that, you can
    download and install a firewall (the built-in one
    doesn't protect you from OUTBOUND traffic),
    and antivirus.

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:42:24 +0100, in
    <BVJyc.505$>
    Bob B scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Bob B

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Bob B posted:
    > I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    > question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from
    > getting a virus.
    >
    > Should I start by downloading a firewall (say zone alarm) although I have
    > switched on the XP build in one.
    >
    > Get a virus programme like AVG or load the Norton system works pro 2003
    > (which I have on disk) and get the updates.
    >
    > Do I first download the latest Microsoft critical updates.
    >
    > Any useful suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > Bob

    1. Using the built-in firewall is _good_ to start with, but it _is_ only
    looking at inbound traffic. Todays 'clever' nasties dial-out a lot too ..
    and you need to know about it.

    2. Downloading all critical updates would be my next move.

    3. Configure whatever AV systems I have would be next, closely followed by

    4. Add any extra firewalls, Anti-Virus, Spyware, Trojan ware etc etc as you
    deem suitable .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Bob B

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:42:24 +0100, Bob B wrote:

    >I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    >question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from getting
    >a virus.

    0) Don't connect it. (no joke) Even at work , behind a very high quality
    firewall, proxies and port blocking which were useledd it was on the
    LAN/WAN somewhere, it took under 30 seconds to get a test system
    infected after uninstalling a critical MS patch.

    1) Patch it before connecting, it may take only a few seconds before
    something creepy crawls onto the box.

    >Should I start by downloading a firewall (say zone alarm) although I have
    >switched on the XP build in one.

    ZA's okay, I do like Outpost though.

    Why not download what you think you need on the computer you posted the
    msg from then copy the files to the new PC before connecting it.

    >Get a virus programme like AVG or load the Norton system works pro 2003
    >(which I have on disk) and get the updates.

    Can't comment on either, however NSW seems to be disliked. Besides if
    it's a 2003 version it may not see anything a latter version stops.

    For NSW you may well want to upgrade the virus definitions vis a
    download before connecting the new PC
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

    >Do I first download the latest Microsoft critical updates.

    Which ones?

    XP SP1

    Sasser
    http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=601354
    Blaster
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8b-fe98-493f-ad76-bf673a38b4cf&displaylang=en
    there are several others it's really worth reviewing what you need from
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/default.mspx

    3 of the 4 April 2004 updates are listed critical
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200404_windows.mspx
    2 of the 3 in Feb
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200402_windows.mspx

    Others depend on IE version and service packs.

    >Any useful suggestions appreciated.
    >
    >Bob

    Me

    why?, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Bob B

    WKD Guest

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    > I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    > question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from

    getting
    > a virus.

    > Should I start by downloading a firewall (say zone alarm) although I have
    > switched on the XP build in one.

    use the xp one for now.

    > Get a virus programme like AVG or load the Norton system works pro 2003
    > (which I have on disk) and get the updates.

    dont use system works pro. no firewall in it. get norton internet security.
    it comes with a firewall and an pop up blocker. works many wonder, although
    it takes up a hell of amount of memory.

    > Do I first download the latest Microsoft critical updates.

    use the built in firewall and download all the patches. then stick on a
    really good firewall and antivirus software (eg norton) and turn off the xp
    one cus then u save memory.

    WKD, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    Thanks gang for the trouble you have taken to reply .....very helpful....
    Bob

    Bob B, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Bob B

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "WKD" <> wrote in news:AGKyc.450$wX5.141@newsfe6-win:

    > dont use system works pro. no firewall in it. get norton internet
    > security. it comes with a firewall and an pop up blocker. works many
    > wonder, although it takes up a hell of amount of memory.

    As well as randomly causes problems connecting to anything. I've had many
    a customer call unable to receive email, uninstall NIS and everything works
    fine again. This isn't limited to Norton, it extends to McAfee's internet
    security suite as well.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "WKD" <> wrote in news:AGKyc.450$wX5.141@newsfe6-win:
    >
    > > dont use system works pro. no firewall in it. get norton internet
    > > security. it comes with a firewall and an pop up blocker. works many
    > > wonder, although it takes up a hell of amount of memory.
    > >

    > As well as randomly causes problems connecting to anything. I've had many
    > a customer call unable to receive email, uninstall NIS and everything

    works
    > fine again. This isn't limited to Norton, it extends to McAfee's internet
    > security suite as well.

    I take note of your reply and have decided not to install Norton System
    Works on the new laptop (although I have had little probs with it in the
    past). I have also just downloaded onto this computer a virus and firewall
    programme which I will transfer and install onto the new computer BEFORE
    connecting to the Internet. Bob

    Bob B, Jun 13, 2004
  10. Bob B

    madmax Guest

    Bob B wrote:

    > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"WKD" <> wrote in news:AGKyc.450$wX5.141@newsfe6-win:
    >>

    >>>dont use system works pro. no firewall in it. get norton internet
    >>>security. it comes with a firewall and an pop up blocker. works many
    >>>wonder, although it takes up a hell of amount of memory.
    >>>

    >>As well as randomly causes problems connecting to anything. I've had many
    >>a customer call unable to receive email, uninstall NIS and everything

    > works
    >
    >>fine again. This isn't limited to Norton, it extends to McAfee's internet
    >>security suite as well.

    > I take note of your reply and have decided not to install Norton System
    > Works on the new laptop (although I have had little probs with it in the
    > past). I have also just downloaded onto this computer a virus and firewall
    > programme which I will transfer and install onto the new computer BEFORE
    > connecting to the Internet. Bob

    Just one more addition to all the good advice given
    Use a different browser after you finish your updating
    and don't use OE6.You also may want to install some spyware
    blocking software.
    -max

    --
    Programs that I use and recommend (all are free)
    Many thanks to all the people who make these fine products!
    Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
    Avast! For Home
    Eraser 5.3
    http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
    CwShredder
    HijackThis
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    Thunderbird
    Firefox

    This message is virus free as far I can tell
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
    Use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    madmax, Jun 13, 2004
  11. Bob B

    M Guest

    You should order the free Microsoft Security update CD from
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/security/protect/update.mspx . This will
    include most of the updates available from the Windows update website before
    you connect to the internet.

    M, Jun 13, 2004
  12. Bob B

    mr mucky Guest

    jus get nortan anti-virus an personal firewall..

    mr mucky, Jun 13, 2004
  13. Bob B

    Plato Guest

    Bob B wrote:

    > I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    > question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from getting
    > a virus.

    First step is NOT to download them or intstall them. Virueses dont
    appear on your PC by magic you know. YOU have to make the effort to
    install them.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 13, 2004
  14. Bob B

    Jan Lavallee Guest

    In article <40cca492$0$25483$>, |@|.| says...
    > Bob B wrote:
    > >
    > > I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    > > question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from getting
    > > a virus.

    > First step is NOT to download them or intstall them. Virueses dont
    > appear on your PC by magic you know. YOU have to make the effort to
    > install them.

    What Bull crappo! Before you make your internet connection, make sure
    you either have a firewall and antivirus program already installed or,
    if you need to download programs such as AVG Antivirus and Zone Alarm,
    turn on the built in windows firewall to lessen the chances of a
    backdoor trojan or virus. Been there done that and learned the hard way.
    --
    Cheers!

    Jan

    Jan Lavallee, Jun 14, 2004
  15. Bob B

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 04:34:16 GMT, in
    <MPG.1b36cb1dd03b4d44989686@shawnews>
    Jan Lavallee scrawled:

    >In article <40cca492$0$25483$>, |@|.| says...
    >> Bob B wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The
    >> > question is in what order should I try to protect the computer from getting
    >> > a virus.

    >> First step is NOT to download them or intstall them. Virueses dont
    >> appear on your PC by magic you know. YOU have to make the effort to
    >> install them.
    >>

    >What Bull crappo!

    All Plato spouts is "crappo". He never gives good advice of his own.
    He's naught but a troll in this group, which he's been trying to take
    over for years, without success; he's still aggrieved about that lack
    of success.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 14, 2004
  16. Bob B

    Plato Guest

    Jan Lavallee wrote:

    > > First step is NOT to download them or intstall them. Virueses dont
    > > appear on your PC by magic you know. YOU have to make the effort to
    > > install them.
    > >

    > What Bull crappo! Before you make your internet connection, make sure
    > you either have a firewall and antivirus program already installed or,
    > if you need to download programs such as AVG Antivirus and Zone Alarm,
    > turn on the built in windows firewall to lessen the chances of a
    > backdoor trojan or virus. Been there done that and learned the hard way.

    Dont need either running 24/7 for a dialup. I have neither a firewall
    nor anti-virus running and no, I dont get any viruses simply because I
    chose NOT to intall any. I of course, have several anti-virus programs
    installed to double check the system of course. I run them now and then.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 14, 2004
  17. >>I am just about to connect to the Internet with a new XP computer. The

    http://lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=virus

    Alexander Rogge, Jun 14, 2004