    hardware and driver info back to ground zero so I can re-install the driver
    and then install the card?

    Mark
    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=, Feb 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=

    Rob D Guest

    "CuriousMark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I set up a new athlon64 with MSI K8N Neo M/B with winXPSP2 but believe I
    >made
    > a mistake. I put the D-Link DWL-G520 rev. A1 PCI wireless adapter in the
    > PCI
    > slot before installing windows XP. Windows showed the device as unkknown
    > with question marks in the hardware management area. I donwloaded the
    > latest
    > driver from the dlink site and ran it's installer and the hardware was
    > recognized but I was never able to associate with my home network. I
    > fiddled
    > with a myriad of things, read the D-Link install manual which said install
    > the driver first! and figure that may be my problem. How do I get the
    > hardware and driver info back to ground zero so I can re-install the
    > driver
    > and then install the card?

    Uninstall from Devices, reboot then select I will choose which driver to
    install > have Disk etc

    Rob

    Rob D, Feb 14, 2005

  3. "Rob D" wrote:
    > Uninstall from Devices, reboot then select I will choose which driver to
    > install > have Disk etc
    >
    > Rob

    OK, that is one of the things I tried. I also uninstalled the hardware in
    devices, powered down, removed the card, restarted, installed driver using
    have disk, shut down, installed card, restarted, but still no go.

    I also followed the scripts at dlink site to disable and enable wireless
    zero config thinking it might have been related to that with no luck either.
    With WZC off and using the dlink utility, the card cannot be found. The
    dlink utility can't even see it.
    Using WZC it says the adapter is functioning but firewalled. Even when the
    one and only firewall is off.

    I figured there must be leftover driver links and reg keys that I need to
    clean out to make it work.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Further T/S attempts:
    Based on FAQs at D-Link we disabled all networks in "my Network/Properties",
    booted in safe mode as admin and tried to remove the network hardware.
    However we could not remove it. We got messages saying that the driver could
    not be removed because it might be needed to boot the computer. So we
    disabled each driver and tried to remove it again. No luck, same message.
    We restarted and went into safe mode as user and repeated the attempt with
    the same messages. Then, when I started to re-enable drivers, including a
    bunch of wan miniports, THEY DISAPPEARED. This seems goofy.

    Restarted in normal mode wtih the M/B gigalan NIC plugged into a hardwired
    connection and all seems well with networking there. But I need to move this
    computer to another room and use the wireless card. We will try to install
    the D-Link driver and card tonight.

    Any advice? Is this the way XP is supposed to work?

    PS. I saw a KB article that WZC won't work with networks where SSID
    broadcast is disabled, soI will turn it on for the installation. If XP
    turns out to be the only SW in the house not compatible with SSID broadcast
    being off I will be surprised. There must be a way for XP to work properly
    in that environment. How do I find the settings?
    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=, Feb 15, 2005