New computer - which OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by mrk1949@comcast.net, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I'll be putting together a new system for home use : ASUS M2N-E mother
    board, AMD 64X2-4800 (AM2 Socket) CPU, 2GB of DDR2 RAM . System is for
    general home use, web crawling, video and gaming; it's the video and
    gaming driving the new system. By video, I mean capturing from old
    VHS tapes, editing, and writing to DVDs.

    Since the MB and CPU are 64 bit capable, I thought about either
    Vista or XP Pro 64 bit, but I have several old 16 bit apps I want to
    keep (can't afford to upgrade everything!)

    Photoshop 5.0, Office 97 (hey, it does everything I need just fine!),
    Netscape (or anything except virus magnet IE), Nero 7.0.. Most of the
    video software is shareware, although I do plan on buying a new DVD
    writer with double layer capability (any recommendations of which DVD
    with which software??)

    I also have iTunes and REAL software for downloading music

    Also, have an old NEC 1260 laser printer, a Brother MFC-3240C "All-
    in-1", and an Epson R220 photo printer , as well as an HP 5470C
    scanner that I want to work with the new computer.

    All that said, what operating systen should I go with?? 32 bit ? 64
    bit? Vista? XP?

    Does anyone know of specific issues with any of my software?

    Thanks for any hekp/suggestions

    Mike K

    , Feb 27, 2007

  2. This is easy - no 16bit app's will run, or even install on any 64bit OS!

    Although, it is tempting to think that you are releasing the true
    capabilities of your machine with a 64bit system, this is only true if it is
    64bit all the way - and you will in all probability not see any difference
    unless you need that power for various semi-professional and serious work.

    That said, I am myself extremely happy with my XP x64! But the entire system
    was built (with the aid of this group) to accomodate this OS and
    Hardware/Driver problems was sectioned out from the beginning.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 27, 2007

  3. BSchnur Guest

    From your description 32 bit options are the best here. Check driver
    support for the all in one device -- that is the most problematic off
    hand for drivers, especially if it is more than a year old.

    Also, Office 97 -- not supported in Vista, I think it will install in
    Vista 32 though (aside from Outlook). I've installed Office 2000 in
    Vista without problems (not running Outlook).

    Gaming may present a problem (drivers for video adapters are still in
    'interesting times' and the area this is most obvious is games.

    You might find for now you will have the least disruption by staying
    with XP Professional or Media Center -- you can still pick that up by
    itself to do the install.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 27, 2007
  4. Guest

    Well, that decides the 32 vs 64 bit issue anyway!

    I'm leaning toward 32 bit XP - what's the difference between "OEM" and
    retail versions, besides $$$$ ?

    thnx
    Mike K

    >Tony Sperling wrote:
    > This is easy - no 16bit app's will run, or even install on any 64bit OS!

    , Feb 28, 2007
  5. 'Upgrade Licensing', I think,, for the greatest part. I don't have the link
    ready, but if you go visit MS and type any or both of those words in a
    search box, I believe it will drop you right in there. It's not a trivial
    decision to make - generally, I buy the full version of each third or fourth
    release. But it depends on the actual machine. What is it's intended use and
    roughly where are we in the architectural development?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 28, 2007
  6. Aaron Kelley Guest

    In a nutshell, if you get the OEM version, you do not have the freedom to
    move it to another machine once you install it.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 28, 2007
  7. John Barnes Guest

    OEM is licensed to 1 machine and cannot legally be installed on another
    MOBO. There is NO support except here and on the KB.

    John Barnes, Feb 28, 2007
  8. Jordi Maycas Guest

    You could boot your 64 bits computer with xp32 bits, or vista64. First of
    all, install xp32 bits, and after that installs Vista64 in another
    partition.

    Jordi Maycas, May 24, 2007
  9. NO. If you install 32bit Vista first you will not be able to then install
    64bit by running Setup for it from the 32bit desktop. You would have to
    boot with the 64bit dvd and then your drive enumeration for the two systems
    will be different.

    You can run 32bit Setup from a 64bit desktop but you cannot run 64bit Setup
    from a 32bit desktop.

    The best way is to install 64bit Vista first. Then you can run the 32bit
    Setup from the 64bit desktop. Setup will then use the same drive
    enumeration as the already installed 64bit version and you will not have any
    confusion about "C" drives and "D" drives, etc.

    Bitness does not dictate any order of installation the way installing older
    versions of Windows first does.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 24, 2007