    computer?

    Thanks in advance,
    Tom A.

    Tom Anderson, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Tom Anderson

    Luke Guest

    CRT offers much better performance for photography, especially if you are
    looking at spending anything less than a fortune.

    Luke

    Luke, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Tom Anderson

    Stuart Guest

    for what its worth:-

    Size really does matter - I have been using a mid-range Panasonic 21 inch
    monitor for years and have been totally satisfied with the performance. I
    also have a decent quality 17 inch monitor but for photo-editing work the
    21inch monitor wins - the bigger the better - provided you have a decent
    dot-matrix pitch. The real PRO monitors are v expensive and beyond my
    pocket - but anything with a SONY badge on the front would certainly be
    worth considering very seriously.

    hope this helps
    Stuart
    UK

    Stuart, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Tom Anderson

    jwlbal Guest

    I just got a Sony Trinitron 17" E240. It's one of the best I've seen. I
    actually found the best price to be from Dell.

    jwlbal, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Tom Anderson

    Ann Meffert Guest

    Rosita, I've had both Hitachi and Sony. They aren't fair comparisons
    since the Hitachi was a shadow mask and the Sony a Trinitron. Both are
    good monitors. If you don't like the Sony because of aperture grill
    lines, would you let us know if you feel the grill lines interfere with
    your photo editing or design? I'm using a Sony E440 19-inch crt and am
    very pleased with it. But, I'll admit, when I first looked at the Sony
    monitors, I couldn't get used to the idea of two visible lines. I now
    just overlook them, but then I'm not doing any drawing or drafting
    either. Nothing, IMO, beats a Sony for color and brightness.

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    Definitely CRT. Much easier for editing images. Since the prices are
    pretty
    low, get a 19", you will like it. They are all good, personally I like
    Hitachi
    and NEC over Sonny. Dell is also good.
    Rosita

    Ann Meffert, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Tom Anderson

    Dave Busch Guest

    My followup to this message from (Tom
    Anderson) offers little new information:

    >I'm shopping for a new home computer that I will also use for digital
    >photo-editing and printing.
    >Can anyone give me any guidance as to what kind (CRT or LCD) or size
    >(15" or 17") monitor will be best, in the long run, for digital photo
    >purposes?
    >Also, how about the need for any specific "graphics" card in the
    >computer?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Tom A.

    The August issue of Popular Photography & Imaging has an article on
    this topic that covers the bases fairly well.

    Dave Busch, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Tom Anderson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > for what its worth:-
    >
    > Size really does matter - I have been using a mid-range Panasonic 21 inch
    > monitor for years and have been totally satisfied with the performance. I
    > also have a decent quality 17 inch monitor but for photo-editing work the
    > 21inch monitor wins - the bigger the better - provided you have a decent
    > dot-matrix pitch. The real PRO monitors are v expensive and beyond my
    > pocket - but anything with a SONY badge on the front would certainly be
    > worth considering very seriously.
    >
    > hope this helps
    > Stuart
    > UK
    >

    > "Tom Anderson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm shopping for a new home computer that I will also use for digital
    >>photo-editing and printing.
    >>Can anyone give me any guidance as to what kind (CRT or LCD) or size
    >>(15" or 17") monitor will be best, in the long run, for digital photo
    >>purposes?
    >>Also, how about the need for any specific "graphics" card in the
    >>computer?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Tom A.

    Anyone looking for a montior should check out the ViewSonic A70F+ and
    the A90F+. These are outstanding flat CRT monitors with a .21 mm dot
    pitch. BEST monitor I have ever seen, bar NONE (and no lines at 1/3 and
    2/3 of the way down the screen as in Trinitrons).

    Ron Hunter, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Tom Anderson

    HRosita Guest

    >Ann Meffert wrote:

    >Rosita, I've had both Hitachi and Sony. They aren't fair comparisons
    >since the Hitachi was a shadow mask and the Sony a Trinitron.

    Hi,

    I would say that most CRT monitors nowadays are good and the differences are
    very subtle.
    My personal preferences are Hitachi but I think they have stopped making the
    21" version.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 8, 2003
  9. Tom Anderson

    Rick Guest

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >Ann Meffert wrote:

    > >Rosita, I've had both Hitachi and Sony. They aren't fair comparisons
    > >since the Hitachi was a shadow mask and the Sony a Trinitron.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would say that most CRT monitors nowadays are good and the differences are
    > very subtle.
    > My personal preferences are Hitachi but I think they have stopped making the
    > 21" version.
    > Rosita

    Hitachi has been out of the CRT business for almost two years now.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 8, 2003
  10. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    Thanks to all for your responses. Keep 'em coming.

    TA

    Tom Anderson, Aug 9, 2003
  11. Tom Anderson

    Graham Guest