New computer video problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by spy, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. spy

    spy Guest

    Hello again, help needed again!

    Ok I posted a message earlier about a problem with a new built
    computer not starting. We went to http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/ and
    followed their steps and can not narrow down the problem. I do have a
    little more info about the problem.

    The monitor is an older Gateway and goes into power down mode when
    ever we plug in the computer. Works normal when hooked to the
    original Gateway.

    The video card is an Asus 9200SE/TD, RADEON 9200SE, 128M DDR, 64-bit,
    DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, RETAIL.

    We do not hear any beeps when we start the system.

    One thing we do notice is both the CD and HD lights come on and remain
    on. There is also a clicking/thumping sound coming from both the on
    board and outside speakers. Also the lights on the fan seem to dim
    with the sound.

    Any ideas? Can we trouble shoot the video card at home?

    One other thing we noticed was when we inserted the card into the AGP
    slot the we looked at the connector pins through the top of the slot
    and they we not set towards the card. Is this normal? The card is in
    tight.

    TIA,
    Steve
    spy, Dec 18, 2003

  2. spy

    DH Guest

    "daults (spy)" <@comcsat.net> wrote in message
    > Hello again, help needed again!
    >
    > Ok I posted a message earlier about a problem with a new built
    > computer not starting. We went to http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/ and
    > followed their steps and can not narrow down the problem. I do have a
    > little more info about the problem.
    >
    > The monitor is an older Gateway and goes into power down mode when
    > ever we plug in the computer. Works normal when hooked to the
    > original Gateway.
    >
    > The video card is an Asus 9200SE/TD, RADEON 9200SE, 128M DDR, 64-bit,
    > DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, RETAIL.
    >
    > We do not hear any beeps when we start the system.
    >
    > One thing we do notice is both the CD and HD lights come on and remain
    > on. There is also a clicking/thumping sound coming from both the on
    > board and outside speakers. Also the lights on the fan seem to dim
    > with the sound.
    >

    > Any ideas? Can we trouble shoot the video card at home?
    >
    > One other thing we noticed was when we inserted the card into the AGP
    > slot the we looked at the connector pins through the top of the slot
    > and they we not set towards the card. Is this normal? The card is in
    > tight.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Steve

    I recall the original post but did not follow it. Okay, here is the process
    for troubleshooting your problem. I apologize if it has been given in the
    past.\

    Pull everything off the MB except one video card, one stick of ram and
    obviously the power supply connector and front panel power switch. This
    means no ide's, no pci cards (other than maybe video), no floppy, no cd
    drives,...........

    If it boots, start adding them back. If it doesn't, reseat the processor
    and the ram. Next try a different video card (preferably a pci video card).

    If it still doesn't boot, the problem lies in the following; (in order of
    frequency - my opinion)

    1 incorrect jumper settings
    2 bad or wrong ram
    3 bad power supply