New Computer Specs Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nik Schlein, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several
    years. My last being an AMD athalon 1.0ghz with 1gb of ram. I am thinking
    about getting a P4 system this time. I have a couple of questions regarding
    P4 motherboards. Please keep in mind, that I want this computer to.... kick
    people, slap people, make them say DAMN, throw your grandma down the steps
    type beefy crunch monster.

    1) Is the P4 socket 775 truly a faster chip or just a different design then
    the socket 478. And is it worth it?

    2) Who is(in your opinion and why) making the best motherboards for the
    properly named above CPU. I lean towards the Intel Motherboards with 925x
    chipsets, but is anyone else producing a great motherboard?

    3) I will be overclocking whatever system I build, and I will be purchasing
    a liquid cooling kit. Most of the kits I have looked at are compatible with
    a socket 478 designed CPU, do those also fit the Socket 775 if I where to go
    that route?

    4) How are you liking PCI express slots? Really better then AGP or should I
    hold off?

    5) Finally, I have always operated that the faster your hard drive the
    better the OS runs. I was going to purchase a 70gb 10k RPM SATA drive for
    the main drive then a 300gb second hard drive for other programs. Is this
    flawed logic? I only plan on installing the OS and frequently used software
    on the main(70) drive like: Office, Visual Studio, Adobe....

    Thanks for all the help guys.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Nik Schlein wrote:

    > I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several

    I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Nik Schlein wrote:
    >

    >>I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several

    > I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.

    Actually, he didn't.

    In my opinion, he's way too specific about what he's already decided on
    and asking about. A group specific to the products he's interested in
    would probably work better.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Nik Schlein wrote:

    >>>I am interested in building a new computer. I haven't built one in several

    >> I think you got answers when you posted this earlier. Check for them.

    > Actually, he didn't.

    Well, then never mind. I thought he got a couple.

    > In my opinion, he's way too specific about what he's already decided on

    I thought about that, too.

    > and asking about. A group specific to the products he's interested in
    > would probably work better.

    That's probably true.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Nik Schlein

    Cubzilla Guest

    > 3) I will be overclocking whatever system I build, and I will be

    purchasing
    > a liquid cooling kit. >

    Why overclock ??. It bugs me that people overclock high spec processors

    I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a vast
    improvement ?.

    ;-)

    Regards Cub

    Cubzilla, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Nik Schlein

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Cubzilla" <> wrote in news:41985f92$0$16437$cc9e4d1f@news-
    text.dial.pipex.com:

    > I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a vast
    > improvement ?.

    Mostly a "look at me, my pee-pee is bigger than yours" contest.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 15, 2004
  7. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Ok I would go to another newsgroup, but my searchs for Intel, motherboard,
    motherboards netted some newsgroups, but the only english ones where either
    outdated Pentium II or MMX or they are in foreign languages. If you know
    where I should so then please by all means let me know

    Nik Schlein, Nov 15, 2004
  8. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    I overclock because I want to. And yes its a macho thing. I don't drive a
    fast car or bang chear leaders so I build computers that fly. Besides I
    never went all out on a computer before. This would be my first and its a
    test of my abilities, to see what I actually can do.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 15, 2004
  9. First, I'd suggest getting out and banging a few cheerleaders to get
    that out of your system. They're no better than a nice, professional
    piece of ass or a preacher's daughter, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's
    gotta do. Secondly, I can't figure out why you've decided it's got to be
    an Intel processor. I've built a bunch of machines including a few
    all-out types, never once wished I'd spent the extra cash for the Intel
    brand name. As for overclocking, I never do it. I leave it for the guys
    who can afford to and then say:

    "I can't figure for the life of me why...
    1. The processor died?
    2. It restarts at odd times?
    3. Do I get so many blue screens?"

    But if none of that worries you, go for it. And there's some activity at
    comp.sys.intel and alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 15, 2004
  10. Nik Schlein

    claw Guest

    Roger (with the diacrits?)
    You got it.
    Chip and boardmakers love overclockers.

    :
    : Nik Schlein wrote:
    :
    : > I overclock because I want to. And yes its a macho thing. I don't drive
    : > fast car or bang chear leaders so I build computers that fly. Besides I
    : > never went all out on a computer before. This would be my first and its
    : > test of my abilities, to see what I actually can do.
    : >
    : > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    : > news:Xns95A236FB2179Bjimbsnipnet@207.103.26.26...
    : >
    : >>"Cubzilla" <> wrote in
    : >>text.dial.pipex.com:
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>>I guess its a value for money thing maybe , would you reallly see a
    vast
    : >>>improvement ?.
    : >>>
    : >>
    : >>Mostly a "look at me, my pee-pee is bigger than yours" contest.

    claw, Nov 15, 2004