    CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
    DVDROM (Pioneer?)
    Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?
    ofn01, Jul 14, 2004

  2. ofn01

    Industrious Guest

    Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical drives.
    Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
    I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
    > I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure

    of

    Industrious, Jul 14, 2004

  3. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
    > I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure

    of
    > the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but I
    > am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
    > need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.
    >
    > What I have so far:
    > Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
    > Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
    > 400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
    > RAM 512Mb DDR400
    > Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
    > Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
    > HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
    > CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
    > DVDROM (Pioneer?)
    > Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

    Using pp.co.nz's PC builder I came up with this (excludes
    keyboard/mouse/speakers)
    [any suggestions/changes welcome!]

    $272.00 CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (133x18) Northwood Socket 478 CPU + Fan
    Retail Boxed
    $415.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard
    $222.00 DDR RAM Memory Chip: A-Data 512MB PC4000 DDR (500Mhz) Memory in
    Aluminium Plate
    $415.00 AGP Video Card: Asus GeForce FX 5600 V9560 VideoSuite 128MB AGP
    Video Card DVI Video-Out 8x AGP
    $70.00 IDE Device: Sony CRX230E88 (OEM) 52x32x52x (Beige) Internal
    IDECD-Writer
    $75.00 IDE Device: Sony DDU1612 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
    $187.00 IDE Device: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 120GB 7200RPM IDE ATA100
    Hard Disk Drive 8MB Cache
    $27.00 Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive (Silver)
    $108.00 PCI Card: Intel Pro 1000 MT 10/100/1000 PCI Network Adaptor
    $60.00 PCI Card: Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Special Edition PCI Sound
    Card
    $183.00 Case: 3R System Air (Black) Mid-Tower Case with Side Window,
    Maxpower Whisper Quiet 400W PSU
    $244.00 Monitor: Philips 107S Flatscreen 17" Monitor
    Total $2,328.00
    ofn01, Jul 14, 2004
  4. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Industrious" <> wrote in message
    > Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical drives.
    > Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
    > I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

    The motherboard I have selected thus far has the Promise PDC20378 controller
    which I believe supports RAID - is it easy to configure?

    ofn01, Jul 14, 2004
  5. ofn01

    colinco Guest

    In article <xp3Jc.8155$>,
    says...
    > Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical drives.
    > Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
    > I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

    Too bad real world apps don't respond as well. You might be better off
    with OS/apps and data on separate drives.
    colinco, Jul 14, 2004
  6. ofn01

    MarkH Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it
    > myself. I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am
    > not too sure of the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to
    > keep cost down but I am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for
    > reliability and quality. I don't need the absolute fastest but would
    > like futureproofing to some extent.
    >
    > What I have so far:
    > Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan

    Make sure it is 800 bus, consider P4 2.8GHz for not much more.

    > Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
    > 400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
    > RAM 512Mb DDR400

    Consider dual DDR400 for 800MHz bus. i.e. M/Board that supports dual
    DDR400 and 2 x DDR400 RAM modules (2 x 256MB DDR400 or 2 x 512 DDR400).

    > Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE

    FX5700? – not that much dearer.

    > Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?

    Why not, you could always add a sound card later if you need to.

    > HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)

    Go SATA, IDE is on the way out for HDDs.

    > CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
    > DVDROM (Pioneer?)

    Pioneer DVR-107D will do the job of both, and allow writing to DVD-R/RW
    and DVD+R/RW.

    > Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?

    Thermaltake? Try paying around $100 or higher, cheaper is not generally
    a good idea with PSUs.

    Get a good case with a fan that blows air over the HDD.

    Question:
    How do you futureproof? No matter what you do the future is unstoppable!
    No matter what you will have to replace this PC in ~5 years.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Jul 14, 2004
  7. ofn01 wrote:
    > Using pp.co.nz's PC builder I came up with this (excludes
    > keyboard/mouse/speakers)
    > [any suggestions/changes welcome!]
    >
    > $272.00 CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (133x18) Northwood Socket 478 CPU + Fan
    > Retail Boxed
    > $415.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard

    > $108.00 PCI Card: Intel Pro 1000 MT 10/100/1000 PCI Network Adaptor

    The P4C800-E Deluxe already has gigabit Ethernet, Intel. More
    importantly, the -E revision of the board has CSA which permits full
    duplex gigabit Ethernet. GbE exceeds the limits of the PCI bus which is
    shared by other devices like RAID controllers and built in sound.

    I wanted to get the above board, but it wasn't available at the time.
    Got the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP instead, but it does come at a slightly higher
    cost and has features you most probably don't require.

    Also i865PE boards are cheaper than the i875P boards, e.g. the P4P800
    boards.

    > $244.00 Monitor: Philips 107S Flatscreen 17" Monitor

    The 107S used to be a good monitor, wouldn't touch one these days.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jul 14, 2004
  8. ofn01

    Malcolm Guest

    ofn01 wrote:

    > "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am looking to get a new computer and do not mind assembling it myself.
    >>I have been out of the new computer game for a while so I am not too sure

    > of
    >
    >>the latest and greatest in many areas.I would like to keep cost down but I
    >>am happy to sacrifice a bit of cost for reliability and quality. I don't
    >>need the absolute fastest but would like futureproofing to some extent.
    >>
    >>What I have so far:
    >>Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) stock heatsink/fan
    >>Motherboard (Intel chipset 857/875) Socket 478 DDR400 RAM support, FSB
    >>400MHz, AGP 8x, USB 2.0 (NEC)
    >>RAM 512Mb DDR400
    >>Gfx: Nvidia FX5600 or Ti4800SE
    >>Sound: Maybe just stick with 5.1 support on the Motherboard?
    >>HDD: 80Gb ATA133 (should I leave serial ATA alone and stick with IDE?)
    >>CDRW (LiteOn? Plextor?)
    >>DVDROM (Pioneer?)
    >>Power Supply - 400watt - whats a reliable PSU these days?
    >>

    > Using pp.co.nz's PC builder I came up with this (excludes
    > keyboard/mouse/speakers)
    > [any suggestions/changes welcome!]
    >
    > $272.00 CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (133x18) Northwood Socket 478 CPU + Fan
    > Retail Boxed
    > $415.00 Socket 478 Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard
    > $222.00 DDR RAM Memory Chip: A-Data 512MB PC4000 DDR (500Mhz) Memory in
    > Aluminium Plate
    > $415.00 AGP Video Card: Asus GeForce FX 5600 V9560 VideoSuite 128MB AGP
    > Video Card DVI Video-Out 8x AGP
    > $70.00 IDE Device: Sony CRX230E88 (OEM) 52x32x52x (Beige) Internal
    > IDECD-Writer
    > $75.00 IDE Device: Sony DDU1612 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
    > $187.00 IDE Device: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 120GB 7200RPM IDE ATA100
    > Hard Disk Drive 8MB Cache
    > $27.00 Floppy Disk Drive: Sony 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive (Silver)
    > $108.00 PCI Card: Intel Pro 1000 MT 10/100/1000 PCI Network Adaptor
    > $60.00 PCI Card: Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Special Edition PCI Sound
    > Card
    > $183.00 Case: 3R System Air (Black) Mid-Tower Case with Side Window,
    > Maxpower Whisper Quiet 400W PSU
    > $244.00 Monitor: Philips 107S Flatscreen 17" Monitor
    > Total $2,328.00

    Hi
    This is my current setup and goes along quite nice. Question, why the
    extra network card as the P4C800 has onboard Intel PRO/1000 NIC. The
    other thing is to check the ASUS QVL for correct RAM.

    Thermaltake VM3000A Case (lots of fans)
    Thermaltake 480W P/Supply (lots of heat)
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe M/B
    Intel Prescott HT 3.20GHz CPU
    2 x 512GB Hynix DDR400 RAM (3-4-4-8-4)
    RADEON 9600XT video card
    RAID 0 for XP (2 x Seagate 7200RPM 8MB Cache IDE 40GB)
    RAID 1 for Data (2 x Seagate 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA 80GB)
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D
    oh and a floppy..need that to load the promise FastTrak 378 RAID array
    driver when installing your OS...

    Cheers
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Jul 14, 2004
  9. ofn01

    MarkH Guest

    "Industrious" <> wrote in

    > Get a motherboard that supports serial IDE raid. Get 2 identical
    > drives. Whoosh. Best and easiest performance tweak.
    > I use an appolication called HDTach and my drives go off it's scale.

    Which apps do you notice the huge performance gain in? Most apps I run
    would gain in load time, but once running they barely touch the HDD, I find
    RAM is faster (Of course apps vary: games and Photoshop need tons of RAM,
    database apps need fast HDD access).

    MarkH, Jul 14, 2004
  10. The Other Guy wrote:
    > The 107S used to be a good monitor, wouldn't touch one these days.

    The 107P is lovely.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >> The 107S used to be a good monitor, wouldn't touch one these days.

    > The 107P is lovely.

    The 107P is no longer listed on the Philips site, so I guess it is not
    available anymore. My old (1998) 107S was a nice monitor, but the
    quality of the newer revisions has reduced greatly, along with the prices.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jul 14, 2004
  12. ofn01

    Industrious Guest

    Boot time, ACDsee photo browser, Windows Explorer thumbnail view. Anything
    drive intensive. No lag in loading apps.

    Industrious, Jul 14, 2004
  13. ofn01

    MarkH Guest

    The Other Guy <> wrote in news::

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> The Other Guy wrote:
    >>> The 107S used to be a good monitor, wouldn't touch one these days.

    >> The 107P is lovely.

    > The 107P is no longer listed on the Philips site, so I guess it is not
    > available anymore. My old (1998) 107S was a nice monitor, but the
    > quality of the newer revisions has reduced greatly, along with the
    > prices.

    That’s happening everywhere.

    There is nothing made today that couldn’t be made cheaper and crapier.

    MarkH, Jul 14, 2004
  14. In article <cd2kfl$df$>,
    Malcolm <> wrote:

    >oh and a floppy..need that to load the promise FastTrak 378 RAID array
    >driver when installing your OS...

    Why bother with RAID at all?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2004
  15. ofn01

    Malcolm Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <cd2kfl$df$>,
    > Malcolm <> wrote:
    >

    >>oh and a floppy..need that to load the promise FastTrak 378 RAID array
    >>driver when installing your OS...

    > Why bother with RAID at all?

    Hi
    Easier to use RAID1 for my data at the moment (Mainly VPC's and some
    won't fit on DVD), on the off chance one drive does fail, won't take
    long to rebuild. Will need to borrow a DAT40 tape drive from work soon
    and do a proper backup.
    Can't say I've noticed any system speed using the RAID0 for the OS (XP),
    really need some 10K or 15K rpm drives for that.

    Cheers
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Jul 15, 2004
  16. Malcolm wrote:
    > Can't say I've noticed any system speed using the RAID0 for the OS (XP),
    > really need some 10K or 15K rpm drives for that.

    and some ear plugs :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  17. In article <cd5h6a$33l$>,
    Malcolm <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >> Why bother with RAID at all?

    >Easier to use RAID1 for my data at the moment (Mainly VPC's and some
    >won't fit on DVD), on the off chance one drive does fail, won't take
    >long to rebuild.

    For a backup I would prefer to have a second copy on an entirely
    separate machine, if not on removable media. Less troublesome than RAID,
    I find.

    >Can't say I've noticed any system speed using the RAID0 for the OS (XP),
    >really need some 10K or 15K rpm drives for that.

    I would stay away from RAID-0, since that gives you negative redundancy.
    Think about it: if a single disk on its own in JBOD (i.e. not RAID)
    configuration fails, you lose everything on that disk, but not on any
    other disk. But when a set of disks is striped into a RAID-0
    configuration, if any disk fails, you lose everything on all the other
    disks as well. Thus, RAID-0 is worse than the zero redundancy of a JBOD
    configuration.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2004