    I'm at a loss.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    , Oct 26, 2005

  2. dgo Guest

    Does the hard drive have a 'Master with slave present' setting? If so you
    want that one. If not have you tried them both on cable select?

    dgo, Oct 26, 2005

  3. The Shed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I put togethor a new computer, and everything is going fine except for
    > one thing that could be a very easily solution I am simply
    > overlooking.
    >
    > I have 1 hard-drive set to Master (1 Drive) and a Cd-Rom drive set to
    > slave. Both connected to IDE 1. The computer will not boot up if
    > both
    > are connected. If I disconnect the Cd-Rom Drive, it will detect the
    > Hard Drive as the IDE0 Master. If I disconnect the Hard Drive it
    > detects the Cd-Rom Drive as IDE0 Slave. But when I put them both in,
    > the computer will not get past the splash screen.
    >
    > At this juncture I can't even get to the point of installing an OS, so
    > I'm at a loss.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Re check your master and slave settings---either that or try a new
    ribbon cable.
    As you say this is a new build there could be other issues with
    board/bios settings etc.
    have you tried cd on ide2 and hd on ide1.
    could be a power supply issue--now grasping at straws.
    For more help be more specific
    motherboard type
    power supply
    hd make/model
    etc
    etc

    The Shed, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Guest

    I will try both on Cable Select when I get home. I can also pull up
    better specs than.

    I tried a new ribbon cable before, no dice. I think I hooked them up
    to seperate ide's, but I'm second guessing whether I properly changed
    the master/slave settings. Will also try that.

    The power supply is 400w, however on this particular case I know there
    were some issues with bad power supplies. Though it does seem strange
    that only one or the other would work.

    Thanks for the reponses, got a couple of ideas will post an update when
    I get home.

    Keep them coming :)

    , Oct 26, 2005