Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. Hi All,

    A little bit of background info:
    My room in my house sits directly above a linksys wireless B access point
    downstairs. I have had a laptop w/WinXp home with a built-in wireless chip
    for a while and have had absolutely no problems in this exact location.

    The matter at hand:
    Now with my new desktop w/WinXP Pro Sp2 that I built, I installed a linksys
    wireless G (b compatible) PCI card and noticed that in games such as BF2,
    every so often, I'd get the "Warning, Connection Problems" message and it
    would screw everything up. I wanted to see if maybe it was a problem with the
    application and not my computer, so I opened up a command prompt and did a
    constant ping ("ping -t") to my access point and every 30 or so replies (it
    varies but it's not unfrequent by any means) the time on a single reply jumps
    to 1200+ milliseconds or even (more rarely) times out. ALL other replies are
    1ms or less. I have windows firewall disabled and have no antivirus programs
    running. I don't have this problem on my laptop in the same place in my
    house, maybe there is a windows setting. I'd really like to get this fixed!

    Does anyone have any idea what could be the matter?

    Thanks so much, this really bothers me.

    - Sam

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Just forgot to add, before anyone says anything...

    I have tried this with *THREE* different wireless adapters: a Linksys USB
    adapater, a Linksys PCI card, and a Belkin PCI card. All 3 give me the same
    problem. This must be an issue with windows :-\

    Thanks so SO much for any help in advance,

    - Dan

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Jul 28, 2005

  3. Bump :-\

    Please help if you can. I would appreciate it extremeley.

    - Dan

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Jul 31, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

    Malke Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > Bump :-\
    >
    > Please help if you can. I would appreciate it extremeley.
    >
    > - Dan

    There is no "bump" on Usenet.

    With all the cards you've used, are you using the mftrs.' connectivity
    software or Windows Wireless? Try the opposite. Make sure Windows is
    not allowed to turn off whatever device you are using "when not in
    use". Do this from the power management tab in the device properties
    (System applet>Hardware>Device Manager).

    If you have an ethernet connection, try disabling it from Device
    Manager.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell