    dunno, maybe thats not the issue? Does anyone have any ideas??
    Thank you to all who can help!!!

    JB

    RoryBellows, Oct 21, 2004

  2. RoryBellows

    Thor Guest

    launch the task manager and click the "processes" tab. Post a list of what
    you have running there, and we'll see what can be eliminated. Check for
    viruses. Also, check for spyware. There are lots of spyware apps that will
    cause severe performance problems even with very fast machines.

    Thor, Oct 21, 2004

  3. RoryBellows

    Mark Mandell Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I bought a Dell Dimension 8400 back in July. Latest and greatest
    > of everything. 3GZ, 1G RAM, 250G HD, the works. The only issue I
    > have had with the machine is that AOL is running very SLUGGISH now.
    > It takes a long time for things to load and get going. No one thing
    > in particular, just slow speed in general. I wsa running before on a
    > Gateway G6 450, cable connection, and was getting a much better speed
    > on AOL. The only thing I can think of is that it might have something
    > to do with XP?? I know there are a ton of things that run in the
    > background, and I'm sure I don't need to have them all running. I
    > dunno, maybe thats not the issue? Does anyone have any ideas??
    > Thank you to all who can help!!!
    >
    > JB

    First and foremost delete some or most of those background running programs.
    Then download and run Ad Aware SE and Spybot S & D 1.3(making sure to update
    before running). There could also be problems associated with AOL itself in
    which case you should contact them.

    Mark Mandell, Oct 21, 2004
  4. RoryBellows

    Rorybellows Guest

    Thanks for the reply. there are abnout 53 diferent things running.
    Is there a way to cut& paste that list here or do I have to copy it
    manually??

    RBS

    Rorybellows, Oct 21, 2004
  5. RoryBellows

    Rorybellows Guest

    Here it is. Any ideas??

    Thank you for all of the help!

    acsd.exe
    agent.exe (Freeagent)
    AGL.EXE
    AOLSP Scheduler.exe
    aolwbspd.exe
    ati2evxx.exe
    CSRSS.EXE
    CTDVDDET.exe
    CTFMON.EXE
    CTSVCCDA.EXE
    CTSsysvol.exe
    dcfssvc.exe
    dlbtbmgr.exe
    dlbtmon.exe
    DVDlauncher.exe
    EXPLORER.exe
    IAAnotif.exe
    IAANTmon.exe
    intelmem.exe
    istsvc.exe
    javaw.exe
    LSASS.exe
    lvcoms.exe
    MDM.exe
    mmtask.exe
    msmsgs.exe
    mspmsps.exe
    optimize.exe
    rulaunch.exe
    services.exe
    shellmon.exe
    smss.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    support.exe
    SVCHOST.exe
    SVCHOST.exe
    SVCHOST.exe
    SVCHOST.exe
    SVCHOST.exe
    syncroad.exe
    system
    system idle process
    TASKMGR.exe
    tfswctrl.exe
    tmgyxu.exe
    wanmpsvc.exe
    waol.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    webrebates0.exe
    webrebates1.exe
    winlogon.exe
    winsync.exe

    Rorybellows, Oct 21, 2004
  6. RoryBellows

    Raven Guest

    > Thanks for the reply. there are abnout 53 diferent things running.
    > Is there a way to cut& paste that list here or do I have to copy it
    > manually??

    If you want, you could also go to
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro and look up each process to
    see what the process does and if it is needed, or go to
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/a/
    and in the middle of a page is a process search that you can enter in the
    process. I find this to be pretty helpful, but if something isn't there,
    you could always enter it into a Google search, and there will be something
    on that process.

    --
    Raven~
    "Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me

    Raven, Oct 21, 2004
  7. RoryBellows

    Thor Guest

    without even going through the list item by item, I can see you have several
    spyware apps running in there. Run Adaware, and Spybot both, then re-post
    the list.

    Thor, Oct 22, 2004
  8. RoryBellows

    Rorybellows Guest

    Ok, I'll hit that and then repost. Thanks THOR!!

    RBS

    Rorybellows, Oct 22, 2004
  9. RoryBellows

    dan Guest

    If you're going to buy that much on a computer, don't have AOL! AOL suck!
    Get cable or at least DSL or satelite.

    dan, Oct 24, 2004
  10. RoryBellows

    tonedoggydogg

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Desktop

    I had the same problem w/ my Dell Dimension, but I did a fresh install of XP and wasn't connected to the Internet. Just FYI, I did a quick format during the install process instead of a full format. It takes about 7-10 seconds per action. It contains a Western Digital hard drive, but nothing special from what I can see. (Here's a spec sheet) Any ideas why it's slow? It's even slow when the Windows XP logo fades from black prior to the Welcome screen?

    Thanks.

    tonedoggydogg, Sep 4, 2007