    I just bought a new computer it has Windows Home XP. Can I delete all
    the extra stuff like AOl and messenger, and the stuff I don't plan on
    using? Or is this harmful?
    Anne, May 11, 2004

  2. Anne

    Night_Seer Guest

    Anne wrote:
    > I just bought a new computer it has Windows Home XP. Can I delete all
    > the extra stuff like AOl and messenger, and the stuff I don't plan on
    > using? Or is this harmful?

    You can UNINSTALL that stuff, but don't just delete things. You'll be
    leaving behind a lot of gunk if you just delete folders. Go to your control
    panel, and click on Add/Remove programs, and remove stuff you won't be
    using.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, May 11, 2004

  3. Anne

    Chet Guest

    If you have plenty of disk (as most machines do these days) just delete the
    screen icons for the shortcuts to those programs. The AOL and other
    services are probably just a link to download their software and not the
    whole bag. As for messenger, be careful as it is very imbedded with Windows
    and you could end up affecting other stuff.
    Chet, May 11, 2004
  4. Anne

    ProfGene Guest

    If the programs have an uninstall either in the control panel add remove
    programs or in the program itself it would do no harm and if it is just a
    setup program for installing say AOL it should also do no harm.
    ProfGene, May 13, 2004