New computer has virus right out of the box???

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mark D. Fain, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Mark D. Fain

    Mark D. Fain Guest

    We just got a brand-new-in-the-box Sony Vaio computer at work, which was
    purchased from a major dealer on the net. We installed software for our
    internet connection and the very first connection to the internet was to
    update the factory installed Norton Antivirus.

    As soon as the update was complete Norton's went crazy saying that the
    machine was infested with the Sasser-C virus. A full system scan showed
    numerous instances. After much playing around we got the machine
    disinfected. After cleaning I scanned the disc for our internet software
    and found nothing.

    The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
    came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
    internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
    would seem that the virus was already on the machine.

    Has anyone seen something like this before?

    Thanks,

    Mark D. Fain

    Mark D. Fain, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Mark D. Fain

    Fred Guest

    IMHO as soon as you connect to the net you are vunerable to infection if
    your OS doesn't have the latest security patches.

    Therefore before connecting to the net with a new pc you should install a
    firewall, then get the latest patches from Microsoft.
    Alternately you can get the latest patches on cd.

    Also Microsoft have produced a guide that you can follow.

    Fred, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Mark D. Fain

    Michael-NC Guest

    There are virus's on the net that will get an unpatched machine without any
    action required by the user, all that's required is the machine to be
    connected to the net. Solution: just enable the built in firewall before you
    connect. As someone else mentioned, there is a free CD available form MS
    which has a lot but not all the updates on it. It's a bad situation.

    Michael-NC, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Mark D. Fain

    GTS Guest

    Sasser is a WORM which can (and often will) infect a computer within minutes
    of connecting to the Internet if a firewall is not enabled and the computer
    does not have the relevant recent MS critical updates. It is,
    unfortunately, critical to enable a firewall before the first connection to
    the Internet. The Windows built in firewall (which is usually turned off by
    default) is sufficient for this purpose. Anti virus programs may detect the
    infection after the fact, but cannot prevent it.

    And yes, I have seen it before quite a few times. Unfortunately, many
    people assume that a new computer is secure when, in fact, a new computer
    out of the box is extremely vulnerable. They are not up to date for
    critical updates or anti virus definitions etc.

    GTS, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Mark D. Fain

    Plato Guest

    Mark D. Fain wrote:

    > The first and only internet connection was to Symantec- I doubt the virus
    > came in there. The only removable media to go into the computer was the
    > internet software, which was clean. The computer isn't networked, so it
    > would seem that the virus was already on the machine.

    Ahem, your PC is networked via broadband. That's where you got your
    virus.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Mark D. Fain

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 23:38:02 -0400, "Mark D. Fain" <>
    wrote:

    >The computer isn't networked, so it
    >would seem that the virus was already on the machine.

    Then...did you connect via dial-up?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !