new computer doesn't see old hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JimS., Apr 15, 2007.

  1. JimS.

    JimS. Guest

    Hi,
    I know this is a simpleton question so I apologize in advance.... I've just
    tried the obvious and I'm not getting it.
    I just bought a new computer with a SATA hard drive and a motherboard with
    integrated sound and graphics. It's a 64bit AMD 2.3Ghz. My old computer
    was 32bit AMD 1.1. Ghz, both running WinXP home.

    I want to put my old IDE hard drive on the new system and transfer documents
    from the old hard drive to the new one.

    The new computer doesn't see the old hard drive. I assume I need to use a
    separate IDE cable and not hook it into the SATA hard drive's cable. But it
    still doesn't see it. What am I doing wrong? Can I even do it this way?
    The old WinXP is still on the old hard drive but the computer is booting
    from the new hard drive.

    It also doesn't see my other CD burner and that's another question. How do
    I hook that up?
    Right now both the old HD and the old CD are in the computer but it hasn't
    recognized them yet with any of the ways I've tried.

    thanks for any help,

    JimS.
    Seattle

    JimS., Apr 15, 2007

  2. JimS.

    DlSoftware Guest

    Dear JimS,
    Check 1. Your 80pin Grey cables are connect from your hardware devices
    (cd-rom, hard-drive) to your motherboard also check that there is power to
    the devices in question.

    Once checked then, go in to your Bios by hitting the DEL key when your
    computer first boots up or what they call "Cold Boot". Then check through
    the menus intill you get to options that say "Enable IDE1", "Enable IDE2"
    and check there turned on. Some motherboards vary so you may not see these.

    Hope this helps a little, if you need more information please post your
    reply.

    DlSoftware, Apr 15, 2007

  3. JimS.

    JimS. Guest

    Thanks, I will try this. I didn't think of having to enable the IDE.
    One more question--- do I connect both the CD and the hard drive onto the
    same IDE ribbon cable? Does the hard drive need to be set to "slave" or
    leave it with no jumpers on it? I.E, "cable select", etc? Thanks

    JimS.

    JimS., Apr 15, 2007
  4. JimS.

    Guest

    On Apr 15, 3:48 pm, "JimS." <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I know this is a simpleton question so I apologize in advance.... I've just
    > tried the obvious and I'm not getting it.
    > I just bought a new computer with a SATA hard drive and a motherboard with
    > integrated sound and graphics. It's a 64bit AMD 2.3Ghz. My old computer
    > was 32bit AMD 1.1. Ghz, both running WinXP home.
    >
    > I want to put my old IDE hard drive on the new system and transfer documents
    > from the old hard drive to the new one.
    >
    > The new computer doesn't see the old hard drive. I assume I need to use a
    > separate IDE cable and not hook it into the SATA hard drive's cable. But it
    > still doesn't see it. What am I doing wrong? Can I even do it this way?
    > The old WinXP is still on the old hard drive but the computer is booting
    > from the new hard drive.
    >
    > It also doesn't see my other CD burner and that's another question. How do
    > I hook that up?
    > Right now both the old HD and the old CD are in the computer but it hasn't
    > recognized them yet with any of the ways I've tried.
    >
    > thanks for any help,
    >
    > JimS.
    > Seattle

    you must connect ide hardware with an ide cabel
    set old drive slave and cd burner ast master and see if it works both
    on the sam ide cabel
    2. just hook the ide hard drive alone as master and then try as slave
    i believe it should work
    john t

    , Apr 15, 2007
  5. JimS.

    DlSoftware Guest

    I recommend you have your hard drive on one cable IDE1 and your cd-roms on
    IDE2 set your boot up hard drive as master and your SATA will be on a cable
    of its own , but if you can set that to slave via the pin located at the
    back of the hard drive everything should run fine. If boot problems continue
    it may be OS related and you will need to create a new boot configuration
    using the XP Recovery Console.

    Computer Support: http://forums.dlsoftware.net

    "JimS." <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I will try this. I didn't think of having to enable the IDE.
    > One more question--- do I connect both the CD and the hard drive onto the
    > same IDE ribbon cable? Does the hard drive need to be set to "slave" or
    > leave it with no jumpers on it? I.E, "cable select", etc? Thanks
    >
    > JimS.
    >
    > "DlSoftware" <> wrote in message
    >> Dear JimS,
    >> Check 1. Your 80pin Grey cables are connect from your hardware devices
    >> (cd-rom, hard-drive) to your motherboard also check that there is power
    >> to the devices in question.
    >>
    >> Once checked then, go in to your Bios by hitting the DEL key when your
    >> computer first boots up or what they call "Cold Boot". Then check through
    >> the menus intill you get to options that say "Enable IDE1", "Enable IDE2"
    >> and check there turned on. Some motherboards vary so you may not see
    >> these.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps a little, if you need more information please post your
    >> reply.
    >>
    >> "JimS." <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I know this is a simpleton question so I apologize in advance.... I've
    >>> just tried the obvious and I'm not getting it.
    >>> I just bought a new computer with a SATA hard drive and a motherboard
    >>> with integrated sound and graphics. It's a 64bit AMD 2.3Ghz. My old
    >>> computer was 32bit AMD 1.1. Ghz, both running WinXP home.
    >>>
    >>> I want to put my old IDE hard drive on the new system and transfer
    >>> documents from the old hard drive to the new one.
    >>>
    >>> The new computer doesn't see the old hard drive. I assume I need to use
    >>> a separate IDE cable and not hook it into the SATA hard drive's cable.
    >>> But it still doesn't see it. What am I doing wrong? Can I even do it
    >>> this way? The old WinXP is still on the old hard drive but the computer
    >>> is booting from the new hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> It also doesn't see my other CD burner and that's another question. How
    >>> do I hook that up?
    >>> Right now both the old HD and the old CD are in the computer but it
    >>> hasn't recognized them yet with any of the ways I've tried.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for any help,
    >>>
    >>> JimS.
    >>> Seattle

    DlSoftware, Apr 15, 2007
  6. JimS.

    J-McC Guest

    Just a quick word of warning.
    If your main drive is a SATA one and you then install your old IDE
    drive take care that the computer does not get the two drives
    confused, and boot from the wrong drive. (in other words that your old
    IDE becomes drive c:)
    I have been involved in computing for many years, so I probably should
    have know better. Recently I got caught out by the computer swaping
    my drives so that the one I wanted to work on became the secondary
    drive and my SATA one, that had stuff I did not want to lose, became
    the primary drive

    I created a new partition on what I believed was the ide (notebook )
    drive and created a "swap" partition with a program called PHfdisk ( a
    phoenix bios version of fdisk). This was to create a special nondos
    partition (512mb) for the notebook to use when shutting down. I also
    created a working partition of 2gb for the working volume.

    I labeled the disk and thought "good that is done" and then installed
    it in the laptop, it failed to work as I wanted. I then rebooted my
    SATA equiped p/c and when it booted to dos6.22 and gave me the volume
    name that I had given the laptop drive I thought "Uh Uh". My worst
    nightmares were confirmed. I had "lost all info etc " and being a
    really good IT fellow I had only backed up some of what I wanted for
    ever.
    Well I hurriedly bought an other SATA drive , bigger and better than
    the old one, and use ONTRACK data recovery software to retrieve my
    data. Luckilly I was able to recover most of the data. I initially
    had trouble with this as the nondos partition confusing the data
    recovery software. When I re-created the correct partition on my
    damaged SATA drive then I was in business. Whew!

    I have allways unpluged a drive I wanted to protect and on this
    occasion I just forgot to unplug my SATA one. I think because I was
    working on an IDE drive I I noticed the primary (hd0) was not
    connected to any drive so I plugged the laptop drive in there, and the
    other IDE cable (HD1) went to the dvd drive, I just did not think of
    the SATA drive. I was just looking at 40/80 core ribbon cables.

    I suspect some of you who are reading this will be thinking "what an
    idiot" but believe me it was such a silly error of judgment.
    In this news group I expect heaps of crap to be poured on me!!

    Jim McC

    J-McC, Apr 15, 2007