New Computer Almost Ready For Big Switch On :)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    My new system is pretty much all put together and ready for the big
    switch on. I just have a couple of quick questions before I do
    though. I have put the long system list at the bottom in case you
    need to know what I've got.

    On Board Audio

    I've checked on the Mobo, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for me
    to stick the Digital Audio cable from the CD. The Mobo does have
    onboard sound so I thought it would have this. It's not a problem
    though because I plan on adding the Sound Blaster Platinum Card from
    my old system, as a few people have told me their's work with XP. I
    just wondered though, If I do add the SB in, would all the sound ports
    already part of the Mobo still function alongside the SB, or would I
    just have to use one or the other, or would they all work together?

    Bios/Setup Settings

    If anyone else already has an ABIT NF7-S or has used/installed them, I
    just wondered what the best settings would be for this? I also have
    the AMD Barton 2500, and would like to overclock this a tad but not
    too much that it would become unstable or too hot. What is the
    maximum you would overclock one of these to, and what is the level
    that you would recommend not going past?

    Thanks for any help on this. I suppose I better get cracking and
    formatting the HD. It will probably take all night to do 120GBs :(

    I'm expecting this to fly at start up especially with all the memory
    so if I need to alter the Bios I'm going to have to be quick on the
    button I expect.

    Cheers

    John

    System Info:

    Newly purchased

    ABIT NF7-S Mobo.
    TwinMos 1GB PC3200 Memory
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro AIW
    Coolermaster Aero V CPU Cooler with control in front bay
    AMD Barton 2500 CPU.
    Samsung 52/52/32 CD-RW
    Teac 3.5" Floppy.
    Yep I decided to get a 3.5" drive just for the convenience in case I
    ever need to load drivers etc that come with a disk.

    Western Digital Caviar SATA 120GB 10,000rpm 8MB HDD
    Windows XP Pro
    Chieftec Dragon Midi Tower Case (big blue mother! this thing is huge,
    4x 5.25" bays and 6x 3.5 with 2 visible. The CD audio cable nearly
    didn't reach all the way to the board from the drive. I will have to
    get some of those new rounded cable to make it more tidy inside I may
    eventually get one of those side panels with the window just to be a
    flash git and have all the glowing UVd cables :)

    Things I hope to strip from my current PC to add in:

    Pioneer DVD-Rom multi-region :)
    Creative SoundBlaster Live! Platinum.
    Quantum 20.5 GB ATA66? HDD
    IBM 40 GB ATA100 or 133 I thinks HDD

    Other things I'll keep:

    Cambridge Soundworks EAX speakers
    External USB Zoom Modem
    15" Adi Monitor (I'll be using this for a little while longer before I
    get a 17"+ LCD. Might even get a LCD WS TV that's about 22 to 26" and
    just use that.

    Things I'll probably chuck in a draw or flog for 50 cents on eBay:

    AMD K6-2 500 Mhz Cpu
    384 MB Memory PC100 I think
    Matrox Marvel G400 Graphics Card
    Panasonic 3.5" drive
    Firewire Card
    Network Card
    (God knows what else is in there:)

    John, Dec 21, 2003

  2. John

    Thor Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > My new system is pretty much all put together and ready for the big
    > switch on. I just have a couple of quick questions before I do
    > though. I have put the long system list at the bottom in case you
    > need to know what I've got.
    >
    > On Board Audio
    >
    > I've checked on the Mobo, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for me
    > to stick the Digital Audio cable from the CD.

    Not unusual. Most motherboards with onboard sound only offer analog audio
    cable connections. This is something you should have checked for prior to
    purchasing the board.

    > The Mobo does have
    > onboard sound so I thought it would have this. It's not a problem
    > though because I plan on adding the Sound Blaster Platinum Card from
    > my old system, as a few people have told me their's work with XP. I
    > just wondered though, If I do add the SB in, would all the sound ports
    > already part of the Mobo still function alongside the SB, or would I
    > just have to use one or the other, or would they all work together?

    The best thing would be to disable the onboard audio first, and uninstall
    the drivers from windowsXP.

    > Bios/Setup Settings
    >
    > If anyone else already has an ABIT NF7-S or has used/installed them, I
    > just wondered what the best settings would be for this? I also have
    > the AMD Barton 2500, and would like to overclock this a tad but not
    > too much that it would become unstable or too hot. What is the
    > maximum you would overclock one of these to, and what is the level
    > that you would recommend not going past?

    Don't be in a hurry to overclock right away. Get it working at the
    normal/auto settings first.

    > Thanks for any help on this. I suppose I better get cracking and
    > formatting the HD. It will probably take all night to do 120GBs :(

    Actually it should only take a few minutes at most. Especially if you allow
    WindowsXP to do it for you during setup.

    Thor, Dec 21, 2003