    DVD now and again ... and that's about it .
    Thanks
    John From Cornwall

    John, Sep 18, 2003

  2. John

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:33:33 +0000 (UTC), "John"
    <> scribbled:

    >I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
    >I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
    >Machine.
    >Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at
    >Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the
    >moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
    >got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
    >writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
    >DVD now and again ... and that's about it .

    If that's all you use the machine for why bother getting a new one?
    And if you must, you certainly don't NEED a 2.8 or 3.2 or any top
    end machine, a 2gHz Celeron would be more than sufficient.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 18, 2003

  3. John

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:33:33 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

    >I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-

    You could almost get 2 for that in some places. Otherwise lots of addons
    like printer, scanner , speakers, etc.

    Check the UK computer mags for reviews, PC Plus Issue 208 Nov 2003 had a
    system £999 inc VAT. In a group test of 9 systems.

    >I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
    >Machine.
    >Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at

    That's 3.2GHz

    >Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the

    I prefer kit / home made. However at work the Dells have been very good.
    http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/
    We also use these as well, Compaq Evo 510 several UK retailers have good
    prices on these. If you hunt around the base unit only can be as low as
    £500 , you supply OS/monitor/keyboard etc. Sorry I don't have the URL
    the guys at work used handy.

    Try, this is not the link I was looking for.
    http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk

    on the Dell website today -

    Dell 2400 Dimension
    From: £849
    Price inc. VAT & Del.
    Offer due to end 24/09/2003
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80GHz (512K Cache)
    Was 256MB, Now 512MB RAM
    17" Analogue Flat Panel Monitor (17.0" v.i.s)
    80GB IDE Hard Drive (7.200rpm)
    Was DVD/CD-ReWriter Combo Drive, Now DVD+RW Drive

    >moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
    >got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
    >writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
    >DVD now and again ... and that's about it .

    3.2GHz seems a bit of overkill for 95% of your requirements.

    Magazines, just a couple
    www.pcplus.co.uk
    www.pcpro.co.uk/

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2003
  4. John

    Boomer Guest

    John said:

    > I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
    > I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a
    > Good reliable Machine.
    > Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been
    > looking at Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as
    > Dell -which I have at the moment - it's five years old now and
    > it's time for a change !!! Has anybody got any recommendations
    > ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay - writing
    > letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the
    > odd DVD now and again ... and that's about it .
    > Thanks
    > John From Cornwall

    Don't know why you would need a new machine.
    Use the $ and take the family on a vacation. :)

    Boomer, Sep 18, 2003
  5. This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Thu, 18 Sep 2003
    10:33:33 +0000, John uttered this:

    > I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
    > I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
    > Machine.
    > Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at
    > Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the
    > moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
    > got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
    > writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
    > DVD now and again ... and that's about it .
    > Thanks
    > John From Cornwall

    Apart from the other advice given by people, may I also suggest you look
    through these newsgroups.....
    uk.adverts.computer
    uk.comp.vendors
    The latter NG, may also give you an idea of whom to buy from, & who to
    avoid!

    --
    "Good Luck!"

    William Poaster, Sep 18, 2003
  6. John

    Plato Guest

    John wrote:

    > got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
    > writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
    > DVD now and again ... and that's about it .

    Buy an used P233 with 128 ram for about 50 quid.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 20, 2003