    The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
    buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
    said?
    Dr. Shavers, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Dr. Shavers

    jayembee Guest

    (Dr. Shavers) wrote:

    >The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
    >buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
    >said?

    I wish I could tell you. I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon,
    and they had none of the four Chaplin releases, nor did they have the
    four vintage swashbucklers that Warner was supposed to be releasing
    this week (THE CRIMSON PIRATE, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, THE MASTER
    OF BALLANTRAE, and SCARAMOUCHE), nor did they have the next Fox Studio
    Classic, ANASTASIA.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 2, 2003

  3. On 1 Jul 2003 18:51:50 -0700, (Dr. Shavers)
    wrote:

    >The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
    >buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
    >said?

    Yes, they are.

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 2, 2003
  4. jayembee wrote:
    > (Dr. Shavers) wrote:
    >

    >>The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
    >>buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
    >>said?

    > I wish I could tell you. I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon,
    > and they had none of the four Chaplin releases, nor did they have the
    > four vintage swashbucklers that Warner was supposed to be releasing
    > this week (THE CRIMSON PIRATE, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, THE MASTER
    > OF BALLANTRAE, and SCARAMOUCHE), nor did they have the next Fox Studio
    > Classic, ANASTASIA.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    I worked at a Best Buy and I can tell you that the only reason to buy
    DVDs there would be on the release day of a major DVD, because then the
    price will be really good. Otherwise, order from online
    (www.dvdpricesearch.com), you save tons.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 2, 2003
  5. DVDFile gave a somewhat divided review, but they usually are not a good
    authority on classic films or film technology. They don't understand why
    16mm has more visible grain than 35mm, for example.

    thedigitalbits.com will have an article by Robert Harris soon (he's the film
    restoration genius who saved Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, and My Fair Lady)
    and his opinion is usually the final word for DVDs. Also, the producer of
    the previous Image/CBS-FOX versions, David Shepard, gives them a huge
    approval rating.

    Patrick McCart, Jul 2, 2003
  6. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:47 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >Patrick McCart wrote:
    >> DVDFile gave a somewhat divided review, but they usually are not a good
    >> authority on classic films or film technology. They don't understand why
    >> 16mm has more visible grain than 35mm, for example.
    >>

    >Can you cite a review where they revealed this shocking piece of gross
    >ignorance and stupidity? Was it a "Miles Long" review?
    >
    >> thedigitalbits.com will have an article by Robert Harris soon (he's the film
    >> restoration genius who saved Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, and My Fair Lady)
    >> and his opinion is usually the final word for DVDs. Also, the producer of
    >> the previous Image/CBS-FOX versions, David Shepard, gives them a huge
    >> approval rating.

    >They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
    >DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
    >(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
    >feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
    >edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
    >know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
    >I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
    >original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

    Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
    all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
    -- it was his own cut of the film after all. And what's on the disc is
    the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
    original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
    and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.

    The 1925 version comes in the Kevin Brownlow restoration with a piano
    accompaniment based on the original compilation score. Which is pretty
    authentic to the experience of an audience in 1925.

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 2, 2003
  7. John Harkness <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:47 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Patrick McCart wrote:
    > >> DVDFile gave a somewhat divided review, but they usually are not a good
    > >> authority on classic films or film technology. They don't understand why
    > >> 16mm has more visible grain than 35mm, for example.
    > >>

    > >Can you cite a review where they revealed this shocking piece of gross
    > >ignorance and stupidity? Was it a "Miles Long" review?
    > >
    > >> thedigitalbits.com will have an article by Robert Harris soon (he's the film
    > >> restoration genius who saved Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, and My Fair Lady)
    > >> and his opinion is usually the final word for DVDs. Also, the producer of
    > >> the previous Image/CBS-FOX versions, David Shepard, gives them a huge
    > >> approval rating.

    > >They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
    > >DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
    > >(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
    > >feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
    > >edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
    > >know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
    > >I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
    > >original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

    > Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
    > all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
    > -- it was his own cut of the film after all. And what's on the disc is
    > the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
    > original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
    > and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.
    >
    > The 1925 version comes in the Kevin Brownlow restoration with a piano
    > accompaniment based on the original compilation score. Which is pretty
    > authentic to the experience of an audience in 1925.
    >
    > John Harkness

    It's not so strange, really. Many people consider the original Star
    Wars movies, before their re-release in the 90's, to be the primary
    and best version of those movies. The issue with Gold Rush is very
    similar the Star Wars thing, as all these movies were approved by
    their creator yet all versions have their fans and detractors.

    KM
    Kenneth Molen, Jul 2, 2003
  8. On 2 Jul 2003 05:57:09 -0700, (Kenneth Molen) wrote:

    >John Harkness <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:47 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Can you cite a review where they revealed this shocking piece of gross
    >> >ignorance and stupidity? Was it a "Miles Long" review?

    >> >They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
    >> >DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
    >> >(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
    >> >feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
    >> >edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
    >> >know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
    >> >I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
    >> >original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

    >> Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
    >> all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
    >> -- it was his own cut of the film after all. And what's on the disc is
    >> the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
    >> original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
    >> and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.
    >>
    >> The 1925 version comes in the Kevin Brownlow restoration with a piano
    >> accompaniment based on the original compilation score. Which is pretty
    >> authentic to the experience of an audience in 1925.
    >>
    >> John Harkness

    >It's not so strange, really. Many people consider the original Star
    >Wars movies, before their re-release in the 90's, to be the primary
    >and best version of those movies. The issue with Gold Rush is very
    >similar the Star Wars thing, as all these movies were approved by
    >their creator yet all versions have their fans and detractors.
    >
    >KM

    Well, Greedo doesn't shoot first in the revised Gold Rush, and both
    the original and the revision are in the package.

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 2, 2003
  9. Dr. Shavers

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "John Harkness" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > >It's not so strange, really. Many people consider the original Star
    > >Wars movies, before their re-release in the 90's, to be the primary
    > >and best version of those movies. The issue with Gold Rush is very
    > >similar the Star Wars thing, as all these movies were approved by
    > >their creator yet all versions have their fans and detractors.
    > >
    > >KM

    > Well, Greedo doesn't shoot first in the revised Gold Rush, and both
    > the original and the revision are in the package.
    >
    > John Harkness

    Geez, John. I don't think Greedo is even in Gold Rush, IIRC.
    :eek:)
    Jay Stewart, Jul 2, 2003
  10. Dr. Shavers

    Vincent Vega Guest

    In article <psBMa.340263$>,
    "Jay Stewart" <> wrote:

    > Geez, John. I don't think Greedo is even in Gold Rush, IIRC.

    Yeah, he's the one that gives Charlie the idea to eat the shoe. :)
    Vincent Vega, Jul 2, 2003
  11. John Harkness wrote:
    >>They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
    >>DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
    >>(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
    >>feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
    >>edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
    >>know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
    >>I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
    >>original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

    > Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
    > all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
    > -- it was his own cut of the film after all.

    Lucas. Star Wars. Message received?

    > And what's on the disc is
    > the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
    > original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
    > and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.

    Well I'm not complaining, just worried a tad. A smidge. After all it's
    better than the cheapo generic release I've got now, which has an
    unspeakably bad transfer and uses three Chaplin tunes throughout the
    whole collection (it's the three-disc Koch Vision set). In fact it has
    the 42 version of Gold Rush, but as I said they added their own
    soundtrack, so with no title cards you're lost if you haven't seen it
    before.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 3, 2003
  12. Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > > Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
    > > all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
    > > -- it was his own cut of the film after all.

    > Lucas. Star Wars. Message received?

    So, apparently Lucas's live-in marriage with Harrison Ford had long
    since broken up unhappily over the twenty years and he was seeing
    somebody new, so he changed the "romantic" ending by having Greedo shoot
    first....Received. ; )

    Derek Janssen (a happy ending...And so it was.)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 3, 2003
  13. wrote:

    > I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon, and they had none of the
    > four Chaplin releases...

    For Boston-area types, the Burlington Newbury Comics store -- of all
    places -- had all four Chaplin releases on the shelves yesterday,
    though I didn't see the four-in-one _Collection_ box anywhere.

    HTH,

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
    Douglas Bailey, Jul 3, 2003
  14. "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon, and they had none of the
    > > four Chaplin releases...

    > For Boston-area types, the Burlington Newbury Comics store -- of all
    > places -- had all four Chaplin releases on the shelves yesterday,
    > though I didn't see the four-in-one _Collection_ box anywhere.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > doug

    Costco had it (Chaplin Collection 1 box set) for around $60.

    Henry LaPierre

    LaPierre Henry, Jul 3, 2003
  15. LaPierre Henry wrote:
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon, and they had none of the
    >>>four Chaplin releases...

    >>For Boston-area types, the Burlington Newbury Comics store -- of all
    >>places -- had all four Chaplin releases on the shelves yesterday,
    >>though I didn't see the four-in-one _Collection_ box anywhere.
    >>
    >>HTH,
    >>
    >>doug

    > Costco had it (Chaplin Collection 1 box set) for around $60.

    BJ's Wholesale Club has it for the same price.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.
    Matthew L. Martin, Jul 3, 2003
  16. Dr. Shavers

    TSKO Guest

    I bought mine at the local BB for $70......they had 3 only

    TSKO, Jul 3, 2003