    Seems to me this would require an entirely new sensor technology or
    some type of multiple exposure/processing 'trick'. Has anyone heard
    any more specifics about this?

    W (winhag), Mar 16, 2006

  2. W (winhag)

    SMS Guest

    W (winhag) wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > In the April '06 issue of Popular Photography on page 35 upper right,
    > the following statement is attributed to Canon in their 2007 plans:
    >
    > "Canon Inc...plans to expand digital SLR exposure latitude and
    > brightness range to more closely resmble print-film latitude"

    There was a rumor a while back that Canon was working on sensor that had
    multiple photo detectors per pixel, i.e. along the lines of what Foveon
    did. If this is what they are referring to, then no doubt Canon is being
    very careful to not make the same mistakes as Foveon did with that sort
    of technology.

    SMS, Mar 16, 2006

  3. W (winhag)

    Skip M Guest

    "W (winhag)" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > In the April '06 issue of Popular Photography on page 35 upper right,
    > the following statement is attributed to Canon in their 2007 plans:
    >
    > "Canon Inc...plans to expand digital SLR exposure latitude and
    > brightness range to more closely resmble print-film latitude"
    >
    > Seems to me this would require an entirely new sensor technology or
    > some type of multiple exposure/processing 'trick'. Has anyone heard
    > any more specifics about this?

    See this:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/258889/message/1141502931/News of 1D replacement
    According to this, Canon will introduce a sensor with triangular pixels
    arranged into hexagons. Pure speculation, but meshes with what you said.
    It was just posted to the DPReview 1D/1Ds/5D forum today...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Mar 16, 2006
  4. W (winhag)

    W (winhag) Guest

    Interesting. I don't see why this sensor arrangement wouldn't require
    an anti-aliasing filter. I guess the idea of making some of the pixels
    in effect less light sensitive via electronic means could make sense
    (honestly, I don't know enough about the physics to know if this is
    reasonable) although is the assumption that this would be done in real
    time, somehow sensing if a pixel well is filling up getting near
    capacity, there is some sort of electronic feedback reducing its
    sensitivity in effect creating a knee or shoulder in sensitivity
    curve?...hard to believe. Who knows, but to hear some words to the
    effect of a major change coming from Canon directly, is certainly
    interesting. It is hard to believe however that a such a significant
    sensor advancement could be kept under wraps so well. We will see...

    W (winhag), Mar 17, 2006
  5. W (winhag)

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:23:18 -0800, Skip M filled us in on the
    latest buzz:

    > See this:
    > http://www.network54.com/Forum/258889/message/1141502931/News of 1D replacement
    > According to this, Canon will introduce a sensor with triangular pixels
    > arranged into hexagons. Pure speculation, but meshes with what you said.
    > It was just posted to the DPReview 1D/1Ds/5D forum today...

    I wonder where Canon got the idea for that type of sensor? It
    sounds like it will make a honey of a camera. It's the bees knees!

    ASAAR, Mar 17, 2006
  6. W (winhag)

    Skip M Guest

    "W (winhag)" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting. I don't see why this sensor arrangement wouldn't require
    > an anti-aliasing filter. I guess the idea of making some of the pixels
    > in effect less light sensitive via electronic means could make sense
    > (honestly, I don't know enough about the physics to know if this is
    > reasonable) although is the assumption that this would be done in real
    > time, somehow sensing if a pixel well is filling up getting near
    > capacity, there is some sort of electronic feedback reducing its
    > sensitivity in effect creating a knee or shoulder in sensitivity
    > curve?...hard to believe. Who knows, but to hear some words to the
    > effect of a major change coming from Canon directly, is certainly
    > interesting. It is hard to believe however that a such a significant
    > sensor advancement could be kept under wraps so well. We will see...

    It could also explain why the 30D was such a disappointment, all the R&D
    efforts were going into solving the quirks of this sensor arrangement.

    Skip M, Mar 17, 2006