New Canon Rebel Purchase (first thoughts)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeff Durham, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Jeff Durham

    Jeff Durham Guest

    My Canon 300D just showed up this afternoon. Here is my first reaction:

    - I bought the camera with lens from newegg. I have bought computer
    equipment from newegg in the past and have been very pleased with them.
    Their price was not the best, but I trusted my purchase with them. Most
    other reputable resellers were within a few dollars anyway. No calls from
    sales people to upsell. They quickly processed the order and shipped it.
    The shipping was free through FedEx super saver (3-4 days). Even the two
    day FedEx was only $11. The only concern I had is if the camera is dead on
    arrival, would they make me go to Canon for service or would they ship me
    out a new one? Hopefully, it would be the latter and I am thankful so far I
    did not have to put them through that test.

    - The camera and lens are definitely plastic. I did enough research to know
    exactly what I was getting. On the positive side, the camera with the lens
    attached and battery inserted feels very sturdy. I actually like the
    lighter feel of this camera.

    - I have not purchased a compact flash card yet for this camera. I
    temporarily used an 80MB sandisk card that I bought 8 years ago along with
    my Kodak DC240 (which by the way, has been a great camera for point and
    shoot). I really wanted to try out this card to see what the performance
    was like before I purchased a higher speed card. As expected, it took about
    4-6 seconds to write out an image judging by the amount of time the little
    red light was on. For reviewing pictures, I could cycle through them in
    well under a 1/2 second per picture. I also copied them on to my hard disk
    using my PCMCIA adapter. The pictures copied in a usable timeframe (it was
    quick, but I didn't measure the time per picture). Given this experience
    and the four picture buffer built-in, I will go with the less expensive 1 GB
    memory card for now.

    - Most of my use of this camera will be point and shoot. I wanted something
    that had flexibility and the ability to change lenses. For me the feature
    set was just right and more. If I really get serious about photography
    again (I used to do quite a bit 25 years ago), I might consider upgrading to
    an EOS 10D or whatever is similar in a few years. I like the idea of being
    able to re-use any lenses I purchase with this camera (exception probably
    being the EF-S 18-55 that comes with it). I looked at other cameras such as
    Sony's newest one and Canon's Powershot Pro 1 that are SLR like. For the
    feature set, I decided I wanted a real SLR. Also, this camera was only $20
    more than the Powershot Pro 1.

    - What couple of pictures I took indoors and outdoors in the matter of 30
    minutes, I am very impressed with the quality of the images. I am really
    looking forward to putting this camera to good use. This is the first
    serious camera I have had in a long time. I started out with black & white
    as a kid using my Dad's Argus C3. I wish I still had that camera, but it
    has gotten misplaced over the years.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 11, 2004

  2. "Jeff Durham" <> wrote in message news:<MRpyc.78719$>...
> [...]
    > again (I used to do quite a bit 25 years ago), I might consider upgrading to
    > an EOS 10D or whatever is similar in a few years. I like the idea of being
    > able to re-use any lenses I purchase with this camera (exception probably
    > being the EF-S 18-55 that comes with it). I looked at other cameras such as
    > Sony's newest one and Canon's Powershot Pro 1 that are SLR like. For the
    > feature set, I decided I wanted a real SLR. Also, this camera was only $20
    > more than the Powershot Pro 1.
    >
    > - What couple of pictures I took indoors and outdoors in the matter of 30
    > minutes, I am very impressed with the quality of the images. I am really
    > looking forward to putting this camera to good use. This is the first
    > serious camera I have had in a long time. I started out with black & white
    > as a kid using my Dad's Argus C3. I wish I still had that camera, but it

    Jeff, you should consider returning the Rebel if you are still able
    to. For a bit more money, you can double your resolution, increase
    color accuracy, and own the best Pro digital camera in production
    today, the Sigma SD10. If you are impressed with the quality of the
    Canon, then you aint seen nothin' yet.

    Do a little research on the Foveon sensor and how it is the only
    sensor capable of recording true colors. Canon cameras are equipped
    with inferior CMOS sensors which record pixels as monochrome
    initially, and then guess the colors after the shot has been taken.
    This leads to inaccurate colors, and unpleasant artifacts.

    Give it a thought.

    Hope this helps.

    -Orville

    Orville Wright, Jun 12, 2004

  3. In article <>, Orville
    Wright <> wrote:
    > Jeff, you should consider returning the Rebel if you are still able
    > to. For a bit more money, you can double your resolution, increase
    > color accuracy, and own the best Pro digital camera in production
    > today, the Sigma SD10. If you are impressed with the quality of the
    > Canon, then you aint seen nothin' yet.

    If you liked the Canon, you'll really see how the Sigma sucks.

    > Do a little research on the Foveon sensor and how it is the only
    > sensor capable of recording true colors. Canon cameras are equipped
    > with inferior CMOS sensors which record pixels as monochrome
    > initially, and then guess the colors after the shot has been taken.
    > This leads to inaccurate colors, and unpleasant artifacts.
    >
    > Give it a thought.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > -Orville

    Just about any camera in the Canon line will smoke the awful colors and
    crappy build quality of the Sigmas.

    Hope this helps...

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Jeff Durham

    Guest

    Orville Wright <> wrote:
    > Give it a thought.

    Yawn.

    , Jun 12, 2004
  5. Charles Schuler, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Jeff Durham

    Jeff Durham Guest

    I looked at the available information on the Sigma along with samples and I
    was not impressed. Canon has always been a first rate camera.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Jeff Durham

    Jeff Durham Guest

    I know this is trivial, but one other thing I really liked about this new
    camera is that the user manual is 100% English. I think it is great that
    manufacturers include other languages. I just do not like to have the pages
    intermixed. It makes it hard to read. In the case of the Canon Digital,
    the Spanish documentation was provided in a completely separate book. I
    know this increases printing costs some for the manufacturer, but I would
    gladly pay the difference to get them separate, or better, only get what I
    need.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 12, 2004