    many as 45 MP. Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    the field, but who knows?

    We only have four days to wait. ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012

  2. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 24, 6:00 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered?  The rumours all suggest the
    > new DSLR will be a replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but after
    > that they diverge.
    >
    > There is no agreement on the pixel count.  Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
    > which would disappoint many.  There have been wild suggestions of as
    > many as 45 MP.  Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    > the field, but who knows?
    >
    > We only have four days to wait.  ;-)

    Some fans are idiots. One site took a vote and more voted for a 16MP
    D800 than a 36MP model. Problem is, it does nothing at 16MP to
    distinguish itself from "the pack." The idea was to blow the 5DII out
    of the water, which it probably will do. If Canon releases a 45MP
    model, more power to them.

    RichA, Feb 24, 2012

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Feb 24, 6:00 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered?  The rumours all suggest the
    >> new DSLR will be a replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but after
    >> that they diverge.
    >>
    >> There is no agreement on the pixel count.  Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
    >> which would disappoint many.  There have been wild suggestions of as
    >> many as 45 MP.  Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    >> the field, but who knows?
    >>
    >> We only have four days to wait.  ;-)

    >Some fans are idiots.

    .... or some idiots are fans?

    >One site took a vote and more voted for a 16MP
    >D800 than a 36MP model. Problem is, it does nothing at 16MP to
    >distinguish itself from "the pack."

    A 16 MP camera body with increased dynamic range and a wider gamut may
    be more genuinely useful than a 36 MP body with neither of those
    things. For example, I hope the next generation of LiveMOS sensors
    for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds models will favour
    improved dynamic range over any further increase in pixel count, and
    also that the Leica M10 has significantly better dynamic range than
    the M9, whatever its pixel count.

    >The idea was to blow the 5DII out
    >of the water, which it probably will do. If Canon releases a 45MP
    >model, more power to them.

    I think the idea is to make more profit.

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012
  4. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 24, 8:59 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >On Feb 24, 6:00 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > >> Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered?  The rumours all suggest the
    > >> new DSLR will be a replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but after
    > >> that they diverge.

    > >> There is no agreement on the pixel count.  Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
    > >> which would disappoint many.  There have been wild suggestions of as
    > >> many as 45 MP.  Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    > >> the field, but who knows?

    > >> We only have four days to wait.  ;-)

    > >Some fans are idiots.

    > ... or some idiots are fans?
    >
    > >One site took a vote and more voted for a 16MP
    > >D800 than a 36MP model.  Problem is, it does nothing at 16MP to
    > >distinguish itself from "the pack."

    > A 16 MP camera body with increased dynamic range and a wider gamut may
    > be more genuinely useful than a 36 MP body with neither of those
    > things.  For example, I hope the next generation of LiveMOS sensors
    > for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds models will favour
    > improved dynamic range over any further increase in pixel count, and
    > also that the Leica M10 has significantly better dynamic range than
    > the M9, whatever its pixel count.
    >
    > >The idea was to blow the 5DII out
    > >of the water, which it probably will do.  If Canon releases a 45MP
    > >model, more power to them.

    > I think the idea is to make more profit.

    Hey! I'm kind of happy Nikon didn't slap a $5000 price-tag on the
    D880E.

    RichA, Feb 24, 2012
  5. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 24, 10:11 am, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Feb 24, 8:59 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >

    > > RichA <> wrote:

    > > >Some fans are idiots.

    > > ... or some idiots are fans?

    > > >One site took a vote and more voted for a 16MP
    > > >D800 than a 36MP model.  Problem is, it does nothing at 16MP to
    > > >distinguish itself from "the pack."

    > > A 16 MP camera body with increased dynamic range and a wider gamut may
    > > be more genuinely useful than a 36 MP body with neither of those
    > > things.  For example, I hope the next generation of LiveMOS sensors
    > > for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds models will favour
    > > improved dynamic range over any further increase in pixel count, and
    > > also that the Leica M10 has significantly better dynamic range than
    > > the M9, whatever its pixel count.

    > > >The idea was to blow the 5DII out
    > > >of the water, which it probably will do.  If Canon releases a 45MP
    > > >model, more power to them.

    > > I think the idea is to make more profit.

    > Hey!  I'm kind of happy Nikon didn't slap a $5000 price-tag on the
    > D880E.

    D800E...

    RichA, Feb 24, 2012
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Feb 24, 10:11 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >> On Feb 24, 8:59 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> > RichA <> wrote:

    >> > I think the idea is to make more profit.

    >> Hey!  I'm kind of happy Nikon didn't slap a $5000 price-tag on the
    >> D880E.

    >D800E...

    Yes, that one too ...

    Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    D800 will sell extremely well at the price. I hope we don't sell too
    many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots. ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012

  7. >>>> Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered? The rumours all suggest the

    Not necessarily! There are rumors the date may be March 2.
    More rumors say possibly two new cameras, one 22Mp and one ~36 Mp,
    possibly different announcement dates.

    In other word, Canon Leak Central is very very busy.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Feb 24, 2012
  8. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Doug McDonald <> wrote:

    >Not necessarily! There are rumors the date may be March 2.
    >More rumors say possibly two new cameras, one 22Mp and one ~36 Mp,
    >possibly different announcement dates.
    >
    >In other word, Canon Leak Central is very very busy.

    So we have had 22 MP, 34 MP and 45 MP rumours, now 36 MP!

    Both Canon and Nikon are getting better at keeping their new releases
    quiet. There was a time when the information was deliberately leaked
    to friendly commentators, but those days have gone.

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012
  9. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 24, 12:52 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> Hey!  I'm kind of happy Nikon didn't slap a $5000 price-tag on the
    > >> D880E.

    > >D800E...

    > Yes, that one too ...
    >
    > Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    > D800 will sell extremely well at the price.  I hope we don't sell too
    > many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    > the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots.  ;-)

    I used to frequent a restaurant that had a stir-fry dish that was so
    strong (not hot-spicy, just strong flavoured) they had a warning in
    the menu. I figure 50% of the people who ordered it sent it back.

    RichA, Feb 24, 2012
  10. Bruce

    Mike Guest

    On 24/02/2012 1:02 PM, Doug McDonald wrote:

    > In other word, Canon Leak Central is very very busy.
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    Remember way back, when Canon & Nikon marketing divisions relied on
    "Leakvertising"?

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 24, 2012
  11. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 24, 12:52 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:

    >> >D800E...

    >> Yes, that one too ...
    >>
    >> Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    >> D800 will sell extremely well at the price. I hope we don't sell too
    >> many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    >> the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots. ;-)

    > I used to frequent a restaurant that had a stir-fry dish that was so
    > strong (not hot-spicy, just strong flavoured) they had a warning in
    > the menu. I figure 50% of the people who ordered it sent it back.

    ... and you've seen the uncorrectable effects of insufficient anti-alias
    filtering in the image which Alfred Molon posted. Let's hope that not too
    many people have to return the Nikon D800E because their lenses are too
    high a quality.

    David J Taylor, Feb 24, 2012
  12. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Feb 24, 12:52 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:

    >> >D800E...

    >> Yes, that one too ...
    >>
    >> Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    >> D800 will sell extremely well at the price.  I hope we don't sell too
    >> many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    >> the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots.  ;-)

    >I used to frequent a restaurant that had a stir-fry dish that was so
    >strong (not hot-spicy, just strong flavoured) they had a warning in
    >the menu. I figure 50% of the people who ordered it sent it back.

    I don't know whether this is true in Canada, but much of the ethnic
    food sold in the UK has had its recipe modified to suit local tastes.
    In most cases this has meant that the food is bland compared with the
    authentic recipe.

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012
  13. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 24, 2:57 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > >> Yes, that one too ...

    > >> Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    > >> D800 will sell extremely well at the price.  I hope we don't sell too
    > >> many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    > >> the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots.  ;-)

    > > I used to frequent a restaurant that had a stir-fry dish that was so
    > > strong (not hot-spicy, just strong flavoured) they had a warning in
    > > the menu.  I figure 50% of the people who ordered it sent it back.

    > .. and you've seen the uncorrectable effects of insufficient anti-alias
    > filtering in the image which Alfred Molon posted.  Let's hope that not too
    > many people have to return the Nikon D800E because their lenses are too
    > high a quality.

    I wouldn't mind one if the price falls because too many people
    returned them. Say...$2500 by Christmas?

    RichA, Feb 24, 2012
  14. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : There is no agreement on the pixel count. Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
    : which would disappoint many. There have been wild suggestions of as
    : many as 45 MP. Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    : the field, but who knows?
    :
    : We only have four days to wait. ;-)

    Funny you should mention me. I have indeed been watching the 5D3 announcement
    rumors with great interest. I've become quite annoyed with the number of
    pictures I take that are badly OOF, especially those from my old 50D. The 50D
    is a very decent landscape camera, but I guess its archaic AF system just
    isn't up to the event work that I do. My 7D is a lot better, but I almost
    always use two cameras at events, to minimize lens changes. So I've been
    hoping that the 5D3 would solve that problem, while giving me an excuse to
    sneak into the FF world.

    But I've gotten increasingly discouraged. The rumor mill seems to think that
    the 5D3 will come in at over (some say well over) $3000 US, a notion not
    dispelled when its most plausible walking-around lens, the new 24-70 f/2.8L,
    was announced at a breathtaking $2300. And it became very clear that I
    couldn't get either the camera or the lens for months anyway; the fanboys
    alone will probably clog the pipeline until early summer. I need a solution
    NOW; I have four photo shoots in the next 11 days alone. So yesterday
    afternoon I made a snap decision ...

    .... And today the UPS truck stopped by and delivered my second 7D and a
    24-105mm f/4L lens. Total cost: less than I probably would have paid for the
    5D3 body alone. I know it's a copout, but the 7D should solve most of my
    focusing problems, and the 24-105 (if it's anywhere near as good as some claim
    it is) should be fine for outdoor events and street photography, in tandem
    with the 70-200 f/2.8 I got last month. Yeah, I'll probably have some
    occasional twinges of regret about not going FF. But 22MP won't win any prizes
    for resolution, and resolution is at least half the reason for craving FF. If
    I were a Nikon user, I'd have ordered the D800 the first day, but I'm not a
    Nikon user. You play the cards you're dealt. I'm gonna spend the weekend
    calibrating my lenses vs my new 7D and hit the ball hard next week.

    The rest of you guys, enjoy the show on the 28th!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 24, 2012
  15. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:52:06 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    : RichA <> wrote:
    : >On Feb 24, 10:11 am, RichA <> wrote:
    : >> On Feb 24, 8:59 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    : >> > RichA <> wrote:
    : >>
    : >> > I think the idea is to make more profit.
    : >>
    : >> Hey!  I'm kind of happy Nikon didn't slap a $5000 price-tag on the
    : >> D880E.
    : >D800E...
    :
    :
    : Yes, that one too ...
    :
    : Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    : D800 will sell extremely well at the price. I hope we don't sell too
    : many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    : the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots. ;-)

    Yeah, Bruce, but you're one of those pushing the idea that *only* rubes and
    yokels should buy a camera with an AA filter. You can't blame your customers
    if they don't want to announce themselves as rubes and yokels.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 24, 2012
  16. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:02:06 -0600, Doug McDonald <>
    wrote:
    :
    : >>>> Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered? The rumours all suggest the
    : >>>> new DSLR will be a replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but after
    : >>>> that they diverge.
    : >>
    : >>>> There is no agreement on the pixel count. Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
    : >>>> which would disappoint many. There have been wild suggestions of as
    : >>>> many as 45 MP. Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    : >>>> the field, but who knows?
    : >>
    :
    : Not necessarily! There are rumors the date may be March 2.
    : More rumors say possibly two new cameras, one 22Mp and one ~36 Mp,
    : possibly different announcement dates.
    :
    : In other word, Canon Leak Central is very very busy.

    The rumor mill seems to have settled in on Feb 28 as the day. One of the
    fanboys swore he'd heard from a particularly authoritative source that the
    28th was it.

    Also: I wrote to Canon, citing my CPS membership number, to complain that
    their rebate offer on the 7D body expires on March 3, even though B&H won't
    take orders after sundown on the 2nd. The correct answer, if the announcement
    is to be on the 2nd, is "Your beef is with B&H, not with us." Instead, they
    ignored me. One explanation (of admittedly several) for that is that they knew
    I'd actually have a couple of days to make up my mind and still get my 7D
    order in before B&H pulls the plug.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 24, 2012
  17. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:00:51 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Will Robert Coe's prayers be answered? The rumours all suggest the
    >: new DSLR will be a replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, but after
    >: that they diverge.
    >:
    >: There is no agreement on the pixel count. Some suggest 'only' 22 MP,
    >: which would disappoint many. There have been wild suggestions of as
    >: many as 45 MP. Canon has previously tested some 34.5 MP sensors in
    >: the field, but who knows?
    >:
    >: We only have four days to wait. ;-)
    >
    >Funny you should mention me.

    You shouldn't be surprised, Bob. We have discussed the 5D II
    replacement several times and I kept telling you it was imminent. ;-)

    >I have indeed been watching the 5D3 announcement
    >rumors with great interest. I've become quite annoyed with the number of
    >pictures I take that are badly OOF, especially those from my old 50D. The 50D
    >is a very decent landscape camera, but I guess its archaic AF system just
    >isn't up to the event work that I do. My 7D is a lot better, but I almost
    >always use two cameras at events, to minimize lens changes. So I've been
    >hoping that the 5D3 would solve that problem, while giving me an excuse to
    >sneak into the FF world.
    >
    >But I've gotten increasingly discouraged.

    Canon's AF system is fundamentally different to some others. It
    suffers from problems caused by fundamental design flaws that have
    never been completely overcome. The problem was clearly and concisely
    described on here a couple of years ago by the photographer,
    journalist and publisher David Kilpatrick, who formerly edited and
    published the UK's EOS magazine. It made me realise why I had
    encountered so many problems with focusing my 5D bodies and EF lenses.

    >The rumor mill seems to think that
    >the 5D3 will come in at over (some say well over) $3000 US, a notion not
    >dispelled when its most plausible walking-around lens, the new 24-70 f/2.8L,
    >was announced at a breathtaking $2300. And it became very clear that I
    >couldn't get either the camera or the lens for months anyway; the fanboys
    >alone will probably clog the pipeline until early summer. I need a solution
    >NOW; I have four photo shoots in the next 11 days alone. So yesterday
    >afternoon I made a snap decision ...
    >
    >... And today the UPS truck stopped by and delivered my second 7D and a
    >24-105mm f/4L lens. Total cost: less than I probably would have paid for the
    >5D3 body alone. I know it's a copout, but the 7D should solve most of my
    >focusing problems, and the 24-105 (if it's anywhere near as good as some claim
    >it is) should be fine for outdoor events and street photography, in tandem
    >with the 70-200 f/2.8 I got last month.

    I was one of those who gave you a strong recommendation for the
    24-105mm f/4L. It's a beauty, with traces of rectilinear distortion
    at the ends of the zoom range that are easy to deal with in PP.
    Otherwise, I cannot fault it.

    Although I no longer use Nikon gear, I wish Nikon would complete their
    line of higher quality f/4 glass. The 24-120mm Nikkor is a
    disappointing optic in all its versions (two f/3.5-5.6 versions and
    the latest f/4, and they still can't get it right!) and there is no
    sign of the 70-200mm f/4 that Nikon desperately needs. There are
    strong rumours that the new Tokina 70-200mm f/4 is the lens design
    that Nikon didn't take up for some reason ...

    >Yeah, I'll probably have some
    >occasional twinges of regret about not going FF. But 22MP won't win any prizes
    >for resolution, and resolution is at least half the reason for craving FF. If
    >I were a Nikon user, I'd have ordered the D800 the first day, but I'm not a
    >Nikon user. You play the cards you're dealt. I'm gonna spend the weekend
    >calibrating my lenses vs my new 7D and hit the ball hard next week.

    I recall when you bought the 7D and I also recall the strong
    encouragement I gave you to do so. It was the right decision then and
    it is the right decision now. The 7D is a fine camera that includes
    among its strengths areas where the 5D II is weak. I think I may have
    said at the time that it may be all the camera you ever need; if I
    didn't, I meant to. :)

    >The rest of you guys, enjoy the show on the 28th!

    We'll try, Bob. ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012
  18. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Me <> wrote:

    >Perhaps some of the emotion about this is exacerbated by the D4 and 1Dx
    >having /relatively/ low pixel counts. Some people seem to think that
    >the likely reason is that this is some "magic" optimum number of pixels
    >offering ultimate image quality, when reality is that it's a compromise
    >needed to get high full resolution frame rates off the sensor, buffered,
    >and saved to card(s) at >10fps.

    It is also a reflection of the fact that most photojournalists have no
    need of anything significantly over 12 MP, so 18 MP allows a useful
    margin for cropping etc..

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012
  19. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:25:58 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Me <> wrote:
    : >
    : >Perhaps some of the emotion about this is exacerbated by the D4 and 1Dx
    : >having /relatively/ low pixel counts. Some people seem to think that
    : >the likely reason is that this is some "magic" optimum number of pixels
    : >offering ultimate image quality, when reality is that it's a compromise
    : >needed to get high full resolution frame rates off the sensor, buffered,
    : >and saved to card(s) at >10fps.
    :
    : It is also a reflection of the fact that most photojournalists have no
    : need of anything significantly over 12 MP, so 18 MP allows a useful
    : margin for cropping etc..

    Why photojournalists use what they do has long been a mystery to me. I
    regularly encounter newspaper photogs lugging around D3's and 1D's, yet the
    quality of reproduction in the average U.S. newspaper is so wretched that a
    moderately good P&S might suffice. I suppose the answer is that they're also
    shooting for their paper's Web site. But when I shoot for the Web, my shots
    get mercilessly dumbed down too. In fact, I usually submit everything as a
    JPEG 1200 pixels high and tell the Web designers that I can provide higher
    resolution if anybody needs prints.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 24, 2012
  20. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:52:06 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: RichA <> wrote:
    >: >On Feb 24, 10:11 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >: >> On Feb 24, 8:59 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: >> > RichA <> wrote:
    >: >>
    >: >> > I think the idea is to make more profit.
    >: >>
    >: >> Hey!  I'm kind of happy Nikon didn't slap a $5000 price-tag on the
    >: >> D880E.
    >: >D800E...
    >:
    >:
    >: Yes, that one too ...
    >:
    >: Depending on what the EOS 5D II replacement looks like, I think the
    >: D800 will sell extremely well at the price. I hope we don't sell too
    >: many D800E bodies to ignorant amateurs who will complain bitterly at
    >: the slightest suggestion of moire on 0.1% of their shots. ;-)
    >
    >Yeah, Bruce, but you're one of those pushing the idea that *only* rubes and
    >yokels should buy a camera with an AA filter. You can't blame your customers
    >if they don't want to announce themselves as rubes and yokels.

    No, my view is that those who don't understand the D800E should be
    gently but firmly re-directed towards the D800. There is a
    fundamental difference.

    We have had a lot of pre-orders for the D800(E) and it looks like
    being a top seller for us. To be fair to both our customers and our
    staff, the last thing we want is dissatisfied buyers of the D800E. So
    our job is to identify the people who genuinely understand and value
    what the D800E offers and encourage the rest to go for the D800.

    I believe other stores are taking a similar approach for exactly the
    same reasons.

    Bruce, Feb 24, 2012