New Canon EF to Sony E-mount 'smart adapter' - DPReview

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Jan 17, 2012.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/17/Metabones_Conurus>

    Canadian lens interface experts Conurus and Sino-Japanese adapter
    maker Metabones have created an electronic 'Smart adapter' for using
    Canon EF lenses on the Sony NEX's E-mount. The adapter is manual
    focus-only but allows control of aperture and the use of the image
    stabilization on Canon IS lenses. Full lens information, including
    focal length, aperture and lens IS is reported back to the camera for
    EXIF, allowing the use of all P,A,S and M modes. The adapter also
    features a 'Wide Open' button that opens the aperture up for fine
    focusing, with the lens otherwise stopped-down to the chosen aperture,
    giving accurate depth-of-field in live view. It will cost $399.

    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/17/Metabones_Conurus>

    It is difficult to see why there is any need for this adapter. The
    selection of Sony Alpha lenses is still pathetic, but would anyone
    really spend four hundred dollars just to be able to use Canon glass?
    It would make more sense to use a Canon DSLR.

    I suppose there is a remote possibility that a Canon user might pick
    up an Alpha body at a rock-bottom price, but the four hundred dollar
    cost would negate any saving obtained.

    Perhaps Conurus and Metabones did this "just because they can"?
    Bruce, Jan 17, 2012

  2. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 17, 4:07 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/17/Metabones_Conurus>
    >
    > Canadian lens interface experts Conurus and Sino-Japanese adapter
    > maker Metabones have created an electronic 'Smart adapter' for using
    > Canon EF lenses on the Sony NEX's E-mount. The adapter is manual
    > focus-only but allows control of aperture and the use of the image
    > stabilization on Canon IS lenses. Full lens information, including
    > focal length, aperture and lens IS is reported back to the camera for
    > EXIF, allowing the use of all P,A,S and M modes. The adapter also
    > features a 'Wide Open' button that opens the aperture up for fine
    > focusing, with the lens otherwise stopped-down to the chosen aperture,
    > giving accurate depth-of-field in live view. It will cost $399.
    >
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/17/Metabones_Conurus>
    >
    > It is difficult to see why there is any need for this adapter.  The
    > selection of Sony Alpha lenses is still pathetic, but would anyone
    > really spend four hundred dollars just to be able to use Canon glass?
    > It would make more sense to use a Canon DSLR.

    Well, going from Sony to Canon is at least going from worse to bad,
    and not the other way around.
    I can't see anyone using big lenses (really, if you are going to use a
    big tele, get a DSLR!) so it'll likely be restricted to wides and
    standards.
    RichA, Jan 17, 2012