    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Blog and Podcast http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    wayne, May 11, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "wayne" <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've placed two articles looking at 350D/Rebel XT image noise in
    > daytime and nighttime shooting up on DIMi
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=531> and placed all
    > the RAW files for people to download and examine themselves if they are
    > interested <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > Wayne J. Cosshall
    > Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > Blog and Podcast http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    > Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    The noise reduction option is for hot pixels only. It's useful for very
    long exposures, say over 10 minutes.

    The Canon DSLRs have noise reduction built into the sensor that
    compensates for stray charge offsets in each pixel. You can't turn it
    off. There's also some software noise reduction if you use Canon's
    software to convert the RAW file.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 11, 2006

  3. wayne

    alex Guest

    "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "wayne" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I've placed two articles looking at 350D/Rebel XT image noise in
    >> daytime and nighttime shooting up on DIMi
    >> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=531> and placed all
    >> the RAW files for people to download and examine themselves if they are
    >> interested <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php>
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>
    >> Wayne J. Cosshall
    >> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    >> Blog and Podcast http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    >> Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    > The noise reduction option is for hot pixels only. It's useful for very
    > long exposures, say over 10 minutes.
    >
    > The Canon DSLRs have noise reduction built into the sensor that
    > compensates for stray charge offsets in each pixel. You can't turn it
    > off. There's also some software noise reduction if you use Canon's
    > software to convert the RAW file.

    My 350D has a long exposure noice reduction - Custom Function 2 in the menu
    on P A S / M modes.

    Alex

    alex, May 11, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    "alex" <> wrote:

    > "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > "wayne" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> I've placed two articles looking at 350D/Rebel XT image noise in
    > >> daytime and nighttime shooting up on DIMi
    > >> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=531> and placed all
    > >> the RAW files for people to download and examine themselves if they are
    > >> interested <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php>
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Wayne
    > >>
    > >> Wayne J. Cosshall
    > >> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > >> Blog and Podcast http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    > >> Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    > > The noise reduction option is for hot pixels only. It's useful for very
    > > long exposures, say over 10 minutes.
    > >
    > > The Canon DSLRs have noise reduction built into the sensor that
    > > compensates for stray charge offsets in each pixel. You can't turn it
    > > off. There's also some software noise reduction if you use Canon's
    > > software to convert the RAW file.

    > My 350D has a long exposure noice reduction - Custom Function 2 in the menu
    > on P A S / M modes.
    >
    > Alex

    Yes, that's dark frame subtraction. It activates when the exposure is
    >=30 seconds at ISO 100-800 or >=1 second at ISO 1600. A second photo

    will be taken with the shutter closed.

    NR is best left turned off until your exposures are long enough to
    develop hot pixel problems. That can be over 10 minutes for some
    Canons. The dark frame subtraction process can slightly damage a photo
    by subtracting dynamic noise that doesn't correlate to noise in the
    photo taken.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 11, 2006
  5. wayne

    > In article <>,
    > "alex" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message

    >> > The noise reduction option is for hot pixels only. It's useful for
    >> > very
    >> > long exposures, say over 10 minutes.
    >> >
    >> > The Canon DSLRs have noise reduction built into the sensor that
    >> > compensates for stray charge offsets in each pixel. You can't turn it
    >> > off. There's also some software noise reduction if you use Canon's
    >> > software to convert the RAW file.

    >> My 350D has a long exposure noice reduction - Custom Function 2 in the
    >> menu
    >> on P A S / M modes.
    >>
    >> Alex

    > Yes, that's dark frame subtraction. It activates when the exposure is
    >>=30 seconds at ISO 100-800 or >=1 second at ISO 1600. A second photo

    > will be taken with the shutter closed.
    >
    > NR is best left turned off until your exposures are long enough to
    > develop hot pixel problems. That can be over 10 minutes for some
    > Canons. The dark frame subtraction process can slightly damage a photo
    > by subtracting dynamic noise that doesn't correlate to noise in the
    > photo taken.

    Kevin,

    If I switch it on, does is stay inactive as long as exposures are < 30secs?

    Am I better off doing this in Paintshop/Photoshop? or is it worthwhile when
    the circumstances call for it?

    Cheers

    Alex

    alex, May 11, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    "alex" <> wrote:

    > "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > "alex" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message

    > >> My 350D has a long exposure noice reduction - Custom Function 2 in the
    > >> menu
    > >> on P A S / M modes.
    > >>
    > >> Alex

    > > Yes, that's dark frame subtraction. It activates when the exposure is
    > >>=30 seconds at ISO 100-800 or >=1 second at ISO 1600. A second photo

    > > will be taken with the shutter closed.
    > >
    > > NR is best left turned off until your exposures are long enough to
    > > develop hot pixel problems. That can be over 10 minutes for some
    > > Canons. The dark frame subtraction process can slightly damage a photo
    > > by subtracting dynamic noise that doesn't correlate to noise in the
    > > photo taken.

    > Kevin,
    >
    > If I switch it on, does is stay inactive as long as exposures are < 30secs?
    >
    > Am I better off doing this in Paintshop/Photoshop? or is it worthwhile when
    > the circumstances call for it?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Alex

    Experiment with it. I find that it's best off except in rare
    situations. If you take an hour long photo of stars sweeping through
    the sky, you'll have a hard time getting a software noise filter to
    remove hotpixels without damaging trails. On the other hand, dark frame
    subtraction in the camera knows exactly what pixels to blur out. The
    downside is that you can't take another photo for an hour.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 12, 2006
  7. wayne

    wayne Guest

    wayne, May 12, 2006