    1. shoots raw and cycles in less than 10 seconds
    2. manual control settings

    thanks

    ray, Aug 23, 2011

  2. ray

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:45:32 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-08-23 10:01:31 -0700, ray <> said:
    >
    >> The one thing that bothers me with my Kodak P850 is the cycle time when
    >> I shoot raw. It's very inconvenient when I try a panorama, for example.
    >> So, I'd like suggestions for a (relatively) inexpensive camera
    >> (preferably a P&S - a DSLR would be overkill) with the following
    >> features:
    >>
    >> 1. shoots raw and cycles in less than 10 seconds 2. manual control
    >> settings
    >>
    >> thanks

    > Canon G11 or G12
    > Shoots RAW, fast enough. It has manual controls.

    What's the cycle time?

    ray, Aug 25, 2011

  3. ray

    otter Guest

    On Aug 25, 12:34 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:45:32 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
    > > On 2011-08-23 10:01:31 -0700, ray <> said:

    > >> The one thing that bothers me with my Kodak P850 is the cycle time when
    > >> I shoot raw. It's very inconvenient when I try a panorama, for example..
    > >> So, I'd like suggestions for a (relatively) inexpensive camera
    > >> (preferably a P&S - a DSLR would be overkill) with the following
    > >> features:

    > >> 1. shoots raw and cycles in less than 10 seconds 2. manual control
    > >> settings

    > >> thanks

    > > Canon G11 or G12
    > > Shoots RAW, fast enough. It has manual controls.

    > What's the cycle time?

    As long as you don't fill up the buffer, it is fairly fast. It will
    shoot in continuous mode at 2 pictures/sec.
    I don't know all the details of how many RAW pictures you can take
    before filling the buffer, but I don't remember it being much of an
    issue. I routinely auto bracket 3 shots, and take multiple sequences
    like that one after the other and rarely ran into the buffer issue.
    If you are just taking panoramas manually, I can't see it even being
    an issue.

    You can download a pdf of the user manual online. It might have the
    details you seek.

    otter, Aug 26, 2011
  4. ray

    John Turco Guest

    ray wrote:

    > The one thing that bothers me with my Kodak P850 is the cycle time when I
    > shoot raw. It's very inconvenient when I try a panorama, for example. So,
    > I'd like suggestions for a (relatively) inexpensive camera (preferably a
    > P&S - a DSLR would be overkill) with the following features:
    >
    > 1. shoots raw and cycles in less than 10 seconds

    Rather dubious.

    > 2. manual control settings

    Typical, in the "super zoom" category.

    > thanks

    If you want to stay with Kodak, I'd suggest the Z980. Having 12 megapixels
    and a 24x optical zoom lens [26–624mm (35mm equivalent); f/2.8–f/8.0], it
    doubles up the P850 (6MP & 12x, respectively).

    Also, owning both of these models, I can safely say that the Z980's image
    stabilization vastly outperforms the P850's. The latter's IS has seldom
    impressed me, and seems practically worthless.

    As the Z980's successors (Z981 & Z990) both lack hot shoes, they're less
    serious cameras, in my opinion. Many others apparently feel the same as
    I do, judging by the fact the Z980 now commands higher prices than its
    two descendants.

    Here are some relevant links and excerpts:

    Steve's Digicams
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com>

    ----

    Steve's Digicams - Kodak Z980 Review: Overview
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/kodak/z980>

    ----

    Steve's Digicams - Kodak Z980 Review: Steve's Conclusion
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/kodak/z980/kodak-z980-review-2.html>

    "Shooting Performance from the Z980 IS is very good. From start-up to the
    first image captured was just 1.8 seconds! When the camera was pre-focused,
    the shutter delay was less than 1/10 of a second, slowing to about 6/10 of
    a second with the autofocus system. When shooting in single shot mode, the
    camera captured 3 images in just 1.9 seconds, then the buffer filled. This
    is pretty fast, but it's a bit disappointing that you can only capture
    three images in a row. With the flash on, I was able to capture 2 images
    in 3 seconds before the camera would sit idle waiting for the flash to
    recharge, which took about 4-5 seconds. The Z980 also features two burst
    modes (Normal and High-speed). Normal mode allowed me to capture 6 images
    in 3.8 seconds before filling the buffer. It then took 12 seconds to flush
    the full buffer. High-speed mode is rated at 5fps for up to 9 frames.
    I was able to shoot 9 frames in just 1.2 seconds (about 7.5fps)! This
    surpassed Kodak's claims.

    "The Z980 also offers a RAW image format. When using this mode, the camera
    slows down considerably. It takes about 7 seconds for the camera to process
    a single frame. The burst modes are not available when using this option.
    All of our tests were completed using a OCZ Class 6 4GB SDHC memory card,
    program mode, ISO auto, flash off, quickview off, and all other settings
    on the factory defaults unless otherwise noted. Times may vary depending
    on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc."

    Good luck!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>