    Jimmy G Guest

    Drink LOTS of beer & buy a D70. That way you won't notice spending the extra
    $$$...however you'll have a better camera & won't want to get drunk again.
    Jimmy G, Jul 25, 2004

  2. I have a personal dilema and I need someone else to tell me what to do!!...

    I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy photography, but
    its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I would like to go digital.
    Should I...

    1. Sell everything I have (carry bag, flash etc) and buy a 4 or 6 MP digital
    compact
    2. Trade in my EOS 300 body against a 300d body
    3. Do nothing and buy beer with my money!!

    I wasn't too serious about number 3 by the way!!
    Gareth Tuckwell, Jul 26, 2004

  3. I was contemplating buying from 7DayShop and enquired about the VAT
    situation, after a bit of prompting they returned the following. In my
    experience if there is VAT to be paid you paying the company that
    delivers the goods + a handling charge

    "If your delivery address is outside of Guernsey you may be subject to
    duties/taxes/charges which may be levied once the package/s reach the
    delivery destination. Any such charges must be bourne by you. We have
    no control over these charges and we cannot predict what they might
    be."

    The upshot of that was that their initially good price went from being
    the cheapest to the most expensive when you added the good old 17.5%.

    They don't exactly advertise the VAT message on their website!

    Steve

    Steve Selwood, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Jimmy G

    Rick Guest

    "Gareth Tuckwell" <> wrote in message
    > I have a personal dilema and I need someone else to tell me what to

    do!!...

    > I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy photography,

    but
    > its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I would like to go digital.
    > Should I...
    >
    > 1. Sell everything I have (carry bag, flash etc) and buy a 4 or 6 MP

    digital
    > compact
    > 2. Trade in my EOS 300 body against a 300d body
    > 3. Do nothing and buy beer with my money!!
    >
    > I wasn't too serious about number 3 by the way!!

    300D is a good camera for someone who is used to SLR and wants to go
    digital. Plus the price is right as it already comes with an 18-55 lens.
    If you go for the D70 you'll never use the few features it has over the 300D
    and you'll pay much more if you want the kit lens with it.
    Rick, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Jimmy G

    wayne Guest

    The 300D is a great camera however I don't think it would be worthwhile to
    try and trade as you would not get much for it and may want to use film for
    some situations.

    This place has it for 669 with VAT

    http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/cgi-bin/ca000001.pl

    Wayne

    wayne, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Jimmy G

    Sabineellen Guest

    >Hmm looks tempting, but I have a budget of under £600 (plus trade-ins).

    > I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy photography, but
    > its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I would like to go digital.

    Should I...

    Do yourself a favor and don't buy an dSLR. Just get a quality 5mp camera with a
    good zoom lens. If need be get two (!!) 5mps or less (than 5mp, some of those
    4mp ultrazooms are nice with lens up to 420mm) you'd still be within budget and
    you'd even have a backup camera. If you must spend then get an 8mp camera.

    £250 to £550 should be adequate. Pixmania is a good place to buy from with
    continental prices, long warranties (2 years usually), speedy delivery
    (courier) and VAT included.

    Holiday snaps could use a smaller camera, scenery would probably need a wide
    lens and wildlife would probably need an ultrazoom. Tell me which is most
    important and I can recommend one to you. Or, like i said, get two cameras, one
    with a wide angle and one an ultrazoom, and each would cost you less than a
    dSLR lens. Consider the 5.3mp HP 945 which has a 37-300 lens, or the Olympus
    5060 or 8080 both of which have wide angle lenses and modest zoom.
    Sabineellen, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Hmm looks tempting, but I have a budget of under £600 (plus trade-ins).

    Gareth Tuckwell, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Jimmy G

    Frank ess Guest

    Sabineellen wrote:
    >> Hmm looks tempting, but I have a budget of under £600 (plus
    >> trade-ins).

    >> I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy
    >> photography, but its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I
    >> would like to go digital. Should I...

    > Do yourself a favor and don't buy an dSLR. Just get a quality 5mp
    > camera with a good zoom lens. If need be get two (!!) 5mps or less
    > (than 5mp, some of those 4mp ultrazooms are nice with lens up to
    > 420mm) you'd still be within budget and you'd even have a backup
    > camera. If you must spend then get an 8mp camera.
    >
    > £250 to £550 should be adequate. Pixmania is a good place to buy from
    > with continental prices, long warranties (2 years usually), speedy
    > delivery (courier) and VAT included.
    >
    > Holiday snaps could use a smaller camera, scenery would probably need
    > a wide lens and wildlife would probably need an ultrazoom. Tell me
    > which is most important and I can recommend one to you. Or, like i
    > said, get two cameras, one with a wide angle and one an ultrazoom,
    > and each would cost you less than a dSLR lens. Consider the 5.3mp HP
    > 945 which has a 37-300 lens, or the Olympus 5060 or 8080 both of
    > which have wide angle lenses and modest zoom.

    I think Sabineel len has a good approach. I'm not a brand loyalist, so
    my choices are free; however, my kit includes a pair of Nikon 5mp
    cameras and two convertors, yielding true wide-angle (19mm) to
    considerable telephoto (420mm).

    CP5000 and CP5700. I'd like to have the same versatility in a DSLR as
    light and handy, but it ain't gonna happen. Both these cameras are no
    longer first-run, and may be available from reputable dealers and
    refurbishers at reasonable prices. And they make good pictures, prints
    up to 11x14 if you aren't hyper-critical.

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Jimmy G

    L'Armbustier Guest

    Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    > I have a personal dilema and I need someone else to tell me what to do!!...
    >
    > I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy photography, but
    > its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I would like to go digital.
    > Should I...
    >
    > 1. Sell everything I have (carry bag, flash etc) and buy a 4 or 6 MP digital
    > compact
    > 2. Trade in my EOS 300 body against a 300d body
    > 3. Do nothing and buy beer with my money!!

    The 300 D, keeping your existing body and lens, is how I would go.
    You'll transition into the controls easily, have an extra lens, and
    won't be faced with the dilemna of what to do with a nice but somewhat
    limited 4 MP digicamera.

    Arm
    L'Armbustier, Jul 26, 2004
  10. since you have a 'real' camera you clearly as not bothered by lugging around
    something that large and only the 300d (or something more expensive) will
    give you the same feel as your current rebel. not just the feel in your
    hand, but i mean a quick response that is like a film camera. thought they
    have certainly improved, the point and shoots digital cameras have miserable
    lag times and slow focusing that will no doubt frustrate a canon film rebel
    slr user when switching to digital. for this reason i suggest that you go
    with the 300d but i also suggest that you get it with the canon kit lens for
    the 100$us more (50 quid?). why? because though your 28-300mm sigma will
    work with the 300d it will be different... the digital sensor is smaller
    that 35mm film plane and so your sigma 28-300mm will perform like a 45-480mm
    on the 300d (in 35mm equivalent terms). that leaves you without the wide
    angle that you may desire... getting the kit lens will get you the wide
    angle you may want and using your sigma will give you even longer zoom range
    than you previously enjoyed. also, you will need a memory card of at least
    256mb to make the camera useful... the card that comes with the camera is
    too small to be useful. consider these two costs and then decide if you
    should buy now or wait for it to drop in price (as they always do) before
    you go digital.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 26, 2004
  11. Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    > I have a personal dilema and I need someone else to tell me what to
    > do!!...
    >
    > I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy
    > photography, but its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I
    > would like to go digital. Should I...

    I would recommend getting the Nikon 5700 - 35 - 280mm zoom, 5MP, and not
    the current camera (that's the 8MP 8700) so it should be cheaper. You
    will have all the manual control that you are currently used to, together
    with an auto mode which will serve you well while learning the camera.
    The lack of a wider wide-angle end can be compensated by joining pictures
    together, which can be easily and accurately done with software like
    PanoTools & PTGui/AutoPano.

    The advantage over a DSLR is that the kit is lighter and smaller so will
    tend to take it to more places while you are on holiday so get more
    photos. There are also image stabilised cameras such as the Canon S1 IS
    and Panasonic FZ15/FZ20 which might be helpful at the longer end of the
    zoom range.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 26, 2004
  12. Jimmy G

    Krow Guest

    Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    > I have a personal dilema and I need someone else to tell me what to do!!...
    >
    > I have a standard EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-300 lens. I enjoy photography, but
    > its just holiday snaps and scenery / wildlife. I would like to go digital.
    > Should I...
    >
    > 1. Sell everything I have (carry bag, flash etc) and buy a 4 or 6 MP digital
    > compact
    > 2. Trade in my EOS 300 body against a 300d body
    > 3. Do nothing and buy beer with my money!!
    >
    > I wasn't too serious about number 3 by the way!!

    I've had a 35 mm manual camera (Canon FTB) that has served me faithfully
    for years - since 1977. Being strickly manual, I was used to having
    that control. Recently I won a very good point-and-shoot 3.2mp digital
    (Olympus D-540). Takes great photos. I was blown away by the quality
    of the images and prints.

    However, being used to 35mm I really missed the control I lost with the
    digital. We had our 9 mo old grandson visiting for a couple of weeks.
    Took about 300 photos (we won't see him again for another year). They
    (almost) all turned out perfectly. However, on one particular day my
    daughter-in-law was throwing the baby (not literally) in the air. The
    baby was laughing and I wanted to catch him at the top of the "toss". I
    tried several times but with the shutter lag couldn't catch it exactly
    where I wanted to. The baby got bored after a few minutes and as can be
    expected did not want to continue. Opportunity lost, never to be
    captured again. That did it for me.

    So last week I bought a Digital Rebel 300D. I have all the manual
    features I want as well as whatever automatic ones I want whenever I
    want. NO SHUTTER LAG. Captures the action just as my FTB does - when I
    press the shutter release. Unfortunately, I can't use my FD lenses.
    But you can if you already have EF ones.

    Basically, the way I see it anyway, is the 3.2mb Olympus (or something
    similar) takes great snaps and is a good replacement for a 35mm point
    and shoot. However if you're used to a 35mm SLR I don't think you'll be
    happy. If you want that control, you'll have to get a DSLR.

    Did I say it takes great photos? IT TAKES GREAT PHOTOS. I'm amazed
    every time I use it.

    The best thing I find with the DR is that I can experiment - purposely
    underexpose, bracket, shoot into the sun. All situations where I would
    have to consider how much film I was wasting before. I'm not wealthy
    and could not afford to push the limits like this before. With digital,
    especially with the ability to adjust everything (even ISO!), I can
    afford to learn.

    My 2 cents.

    Keith
    Krow, Jul 27, 2004
  13. well done.
    a very well written contribution that should be helpful for all those
    considering digital and/or dslr vs. digital point and shoots.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 27, 2004