    Any thoughts are much appreciated.

    thanks,
    denton fabrics

    denton fabrics, Jul 19, 2005

  2. denton fabrics

    Celcius Guest

    Why not the G6? It's well rated.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jul 19, 2005

  3. I thought of the G6 but still, it has all those bells and whistles that
    I dont use. Point and shoot. That's all I do. I love taking pictures
    but I dont consider myself a "photographer". I'm thinking I could save
    some $$$ by looking a little downstream and still get a camera that
    works for the way I use it.

    df

    denton fabrics, Jul 19, 2005
  4. denton fabrics

    Pete D Guest

    >I thought of the G6 but still, it has all those bells and whistles that
    > I dont use. Point and shoot. That's all I do. I love taking pictures
    > but I dont consider myself a "photographer". I'm thinking I could save
    > some $$$ by looking a little downstream and still get a camera that
    > works for the way I use it.

    Then look at the A80 Canon and the like.

    Pete D, Jul 19, 2005
  5. denton fabrics

    Lin Chung Guest

    Denton Fabrics wrote:
    > After 3 years of treating my Canon G5 like a rented mule, it finally
    > died on me. I'm hoping for some suggestions for a replacement.
    > Here's what I'm looking for...
    > MUST HAVE
    > 1) Picture quality is a must. At least 5 megapixels.
    > 2) Strictly point and shoot. I never used any of the features on the
    > G5. (In retrospect, it probably was too much camera for me.)
    > i use the camera for hiking and biking expiditions, so size and the
    > ability to take a beating would be nice.

    I'd suggest Fujifilm Finepix F10 or Z1. But work through this programme,
    http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do
    It gives you a short list of ranked preferences meeting the requirements you
    specified in the questionnaire. If you are not sure of the answers to the
    questions, you can leave them unanswered. Then you look up the reviews (the
    link is just above the name of the camera). I think you will agree this is
    a very helpful programme

    --
    Lin Chung
    [Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

    Lin Chung, Jul 19, 2005
  6. denton fabrics

    ASAAR Guest

    On 19 Jul 2005 07:45:00 -0700, denton fabrics wrote:

    > Here's what I'm looking for...
    >
    > MUST HAVE
    > 1) Picture quality is a must. At least 5 megapixels.
    > 2) Strictly point and shoot. I never used any of the features on the
    > G5. (In retrospect, it probably was too much camera for me.)
    >
    > i use the camera for hiking and biking expiditions, so size and the
    > ability to take a beating would be nice.
    >
    > Any thoughts are much appreciated.

    Consider the G6 or a used G5. Advantage - little or no learning
    curve. The G6 may have features you don't want to use, but you
    already know how to avoid using them. You can save money by getting
    a camera such as Canon's A95, which is a little smaller and lighter,
    and so a bit better for hiking and biking. But take a look at some
    of the sample pictures of both on Steve's Digicam camera review
    website. I the pictures of the brick building (with lots of other
    features such as sky and leaves) the resolution of the G6 is
    dramatically higher than the A95 and most other 5 mp cameras. If
    you don't mind that loss of resolution, the A95 would be a nice
    camera, as would a number of other 5MP to 7MP cameras, too numerous
    to mention. It's probably due to the G6's superior lens. The
    Powershot S70 may be close (I haven't checked) and may have a bit
    fewer options than the G6, but probably still many more than you'll
    use. And it's smaller and more pocketable. It also has a more
    rugged metal body than the A95's plastic. But both the S70 and the
    G6 should have the auto-everything mode that you prefer.

    Too bad my old Powershot S20 is only 3.3mp. It's basically a P&S
    with no manual control and practically no optional settings to make
    but takes nice sharp pictures. I'd gladly allow you to get an S70
    and trade up for my S20. <g>

    ASAAR, Jul 20, 2005