New Cable plans for high speed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carl Elphick, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    from telstraclear.co.nz:

    Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now have
    a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand before. There
    are three plans including the 'entry level' HighSpeed 1G which offers 2048
    kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a phone line is added it
    costs $64.90.

    HighSpeed 5G offers 2048 kbps/512 kbps and 5 Gigabytes for $59.95 ($84.90
    with phone). Lightspeed 10G provides a staggering 10240 kbps/1024 kbps - 200
    times faster than dial-up - plus 10 Gigabytes for $139.95 ($164.90 with
    phone).

    NICE!!!!

    Now I just wish we lived a little closer to the road so we can get cable,
    10mb would be a dream cept the only negative I guess is it maybe easy to
    blast the 10 gig cap if you got carried away, plus it would also depend on
    how fast the website can transmit.

    Carl Elphick, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Carl Elphick

    Alastair Guest

    In <tAA0c.29510$> Carl Elphick wrote:

    > Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now
    > have a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand
    > before. There are three plans including the 'entry level' HighSpeed 1G
    > which offers 2048 kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a
    > phone line is added it costs $64.90.

    ---8X---8X---8X---
    > Now I just wish we lived a little closer to the road so we can get
    > cable, 10mb would be a dream cept the only negative I guess is it
    > maybe easy to blast the 10 gig cap if you got carried away, plus it
    > would also depend on how fast the website can transmit.

    I have never really looked into the TelstraClear alternative but, with
    this offer on the way, I have to say I'm tempted.

    Does anyone know exactly what's involved in getting this installed? I'm
    fairly sure there's cable down my street (I live in central Riccarton,
    Christchurch), but I'm wondering if they have to dig anything up or
    screw around with the internal wiring in the house. Since I live in a
    rental property, I don't particuarly want to make a mess of it if I can
    help it.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Carl Elphick

    Robin Corn Guest

    There's a little box attached to the base of the power pole outside my
    house, and the line comes in from the top -- just like the phone. There's a
    little grey box on the outside wall, and the installer needed to get under
    the house to feed the cable through, but overall very minor environmental
    impact! My landlord has had no problem with any of this, as if anything
    it'll add value as a rental property... I should remove the old IHUG ultra
    dish off the roof though :)
    I'd certainly be happy swapping my 256/128 + 10GB plan for 2048/512 + 5GB --
    I've never used more than 5 GB anyway.
    -Robin Corn, Windowlight Flightsim scenery
    www.windowlight.co.nz

    Robin Corn, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Carl Elphick

    Alastair Guest

    In <WsO0c.7346$> Robin Corn wrote:

    >> Does anyone know exactly what's involved in getting this installed?
    >> I'm fairly sure there's cable down my street (I live in central
    >> Riccarton, Christchurch), but I'm wondering if they have to dig
    >> anything up or screw around with the internal wiring in the house.
    >> Since I live in a rental property, I don't particuarly want to make a
    >> mess of it if I can help it.

    > There's a little box attached to the base of the power pole outside my
    > house, and the line comes in from the top -- just like the phone.
    > There's a little grey box on the outside wall, and the installer
    > needed to get under the house to feed the cable through, but overall
    > very minor environmental impact! My landlord has had no problem with
    > any of this, as if anything it'll add value as a rental property... I
    > should remove the old IHUG ultra dish off the roof though :) I'd
    > certainly be happy swapping my 256/128 + 10GB plan for 2048/512 + 5GB --
    > I've never used more than 5 GB anyway.

    Coincidentally, a Telstra Clear salesperson came doorknocking tonight. I
    was pretty impressed with the products on offer, but told him that the
    installation hassles were my main reservation. Because we have
    underground cabling on my street, it wouldn't be as simple as merely
    running an overhead cable from the street to the house, but he said that
    they can run a mole underground so that they can get an underground
    cable through without having to dig anything up. Then, as you mention,
    it's just a matter of getting under the house and running the cable
    through to a jackpoint.

    Impressively, the total installation cost comes to only $149 even if you
    don't commit for a fixed term. Looks like I'll be calling the landlord
    in the next few days...

    Alastair, Mar 2, 2004
  5. Carl Elphick

    Guest

    Have a look here:
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/

    Follow the link for their national coverage areas.

    --

    Wellington, New Zealand

    , Mar 2, 2004
  6. Carl Elphick

    Peter KERR Guest

    > Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now
    > have a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand
    > before. There are three plans including the 'entry level' HighSpeed 1G
    > which offers 2048 kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/ADSL/

    says the coverage area will be the same as Telecom's Jetsstream
    and you won't need any extra cables...

    Peter KERR, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Carl Elphick

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:52:26 +1300, Peter KERR <> wrote:

    >> Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now
    >> have a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand
    >> before. There are three plans including the 'entry level' HighSpeed 1G
    >> which offers 2048 kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a

    >http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/ADSL/
    >
    >says the coverage area will be the same as Telecom's Jetsstream
    >and you won't need any extra cables...

    Its for Cable not ADSL:..

    Tick Tock, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Carl Elphick

    wrote:

    >> Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now
    >> have a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand
    >> before. There are three plans including the 'entry level' HighSpeed 1G
    >> which offers 2048 kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a

    >http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/ADSL/
    >
    >says the coverage area will be the same as Telecom's Jetsstream
    >and you won't need any extra cables...

    The new plans are for CABLE internet only - not ADSL. TC cable
    internet is only available in (most of) Wellington & Kapiti Coast, and
    parts of Christchurch. They are able to offer the new packages for
    cable customers, because they installed (or inherited / purchased) &
    own the cable that has been laid in these areas. (The TC cables
    include both fibre/coax & POT copper wire, so customers in these areas
    can also connect to the TC phone service without any Telecom copper
    wire).

    TC also provides an alternative ADSL internet service (via Telecom).
    That will have the same coverage area as Telecom's Jetstream, but the
    new packages do not apply for ADSL.

    David

    , Mar 3, 2004
  9. Carl Elphick

    Col_ Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:59:32 +1300, wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:52:26 +1300, Peter KERR <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>> Customers on TelstraClear's residential network in those areas can now
    >>> have a level of speed and traffic volume not seen in New Zealand
    >>> before. There are three plans including the 'entry level' HighSpeed 1G
    >>> which offers 2048 kbps/512kbps and 1 Gigabyte for just $39.95. When a

    >>http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/ADSL/
    >>
    >>says the coverage area will be the same as Telecom's Jetsstream
    >>and you won't need any extra cables...

    >The new plans are for CABLE internet only - not ADSL. TC cable
    >internet is only available in (most of) Wellington & Kapiti Coast, and
    >parts of Christchurch. They are able to offer the new packages for
    >cable customers, because they installed (or inherited / purchased) &
    >own the cable that has been laid in these areas. (The TC cables
    >include both fibre/coax & POT copper wire, so customers in these areas
    >can also connect to the TC phone service without any Telecom copper
    >wire).
    >
    >TC also provides an alternative ADSL internet service (via Telecom).
    >That will have the same coverage area as Telecom's Jetstream, but the
    >new packages do not apply for ADSL.
    >
    >David

    DO try and keep up David .

    How fast is High Speed Internet - ADSL?
    Although it is impossible to predict a consistent throughput, we aim at
    providing a speed of 2Mbit/s downstream and 256kbit/s upstream. Many things can
    affect the speed, but your ISP and the site from where you are retrieving
    information have the greatest impact. Other factors include the condition of
    your telephone line and connections, equipment used, and even the computer you
    have connected to the High Speed Internet - ADSL.

    Do I need a new telephone line?
    No, you don't, as High Speed Internet - ADSL uses the existing telephone line
    into your business or home and splits the signal into a data and a voice stream.
    This means that you can continue using your telephone line as normal while
    accessing the Internet.

    High Speed Internet - ADSL is delivered via ADSL over your existing telephone
    connection, meaning you essentially end up with a telephone line and an Internet
    connection on the same physical line.

    I don't think this has been offered to home users. Yet .. Supposed to have
    been Late 2003 .

    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..

    Col_, Mar 3, 2004
  10. Carl Elphick

    Peter KERR Guest

    Col_ <> wrote:

    > High Speed Internet - ADSL is delivered via ADSL over your existing
    > telephone
    > connection, meaning you essentially end up with a telephone line and an
    > Internet
    > connection on the same physical line.
    >
    > I don't think this has been offered to home users. Yet .. Supposed to have
    > been Late 2003 .

    It was announced in Tuesday's NZHerald as RSN, which is why I checked
    their web page. Ah well, they're not the first to miss a vapourware
    release date. I see big adverts today from iHug saying WTTE sorry we
    we're first off the blocks with so many things and others couldn't keep
    up with us, but watch this space...

    Peter KERR, Mar 3, 2004
  11. Carl Elphick

    Peter KERR Guest

    In article <>,
    Tick Tock <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:52:26 +1300, Peter KERR <> wrote:
    > >
    > >http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/ADSL/
    > >
    > >says the coverage area will be the same as Telecom's Jetsstream
    > >and you won't need any extra cables...

    > Its for Cable not ADSL:..

    For the benefit of the sight challenged or those who cannot connect to,
    or read, or understand what appears at the above url:

    High Speed Internet - ADSL is delivered via ADSL over
    your existing telephone connection, meaning you
    essentially end up with a telephone line and an
    Internet connection on the same physical line.

    What's more, TelstraClear is able to reassign your
    current Telecom JetStream connection to High Speed Internet -
    ADSL without missing a single minute of surfing.

    Bandwidth Speed
    Although it is impossible to guarantee the speed on any
    Internet connection, High Speed Internet - ADSL aims at
    providing a speed of 2Mbit/s.

    Q&A
    What is High Speed Internet - ADSL ?
    High Speed Internet - ADSL is a High Speed Internet access
    through ADSL. It provides exactly the same features as
    Telecom's JetStream

    How fast is High Speed Internet - ADSL ?
    Although it is impossible to predict a consistent throughput,
    we aim at providing a speed of 2Mbit/s downstream and 256kbit/s
    upstream. Many things can affect the speed, but your ISP and the
    site from where you are retrieving information have the greatest
    impact. Other factors include the condition of your telephone
    line and connections, equipment used, and even the computer you
    have connected to the High Speed Internet - ADSL.

    Can I change my Telecom JetStream connection
    over High Speed Internet - ADSL ?
    Yes, seamlessly and easily. We take care of the changeover while
    you continue to use the service, no interruptions, and no changes
    in your access parameters.

    They seem to be saying, it's Telecom's copper, we're gonna push it till
    it melts, but hey if you're too far away from the exchange, sorry...

    Peter KERR, Mar 7, 2004
  12. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 20:31:53 +1300, Peter KERR <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Tick Tock <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:52:26 +1300, Peter KERR <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/ADSL/
    >> >
    >> >says the coverage area will be the same as Telecom's Jetsstream
    >> >and you won't need any extra cables...

    >> Its for Cable not ADSL:..
    >>

    >For the benefit of the sight challenged or those who cannot connect to,
    >or read, or understand what appears at the above url:

    snip

    that page is about Paradise ADSL service.

    It also states

    "The actual costs will be posted closer to the launch."

    The recently announced service that this thread was about is at

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/

    It is for cable only, you'll note the references to cable modem hire
    and near the bottom there is a link to a coverage map

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/help/nzcoverage.cfm

    It is only available in Kapiti, Wgton & Chch, ie where TS have cable
    services.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm.