    Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the new
    Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

    T.B.
    TB, Apr 28, 2004

  2. TB

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, TB wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the new
    > Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

    I'd like to know as well. At the very least I hope they were able to port
    over the old MCA laserdisc transfer.

    Actually, I'll be able to tell you in a day or two when it arrives, if
    nobody has answered by then.
    Patrick Neve, Apr 28, 2004

  3. TB

    ML-78 Guest

    > Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the
    new
    > Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

    Yes, it is. It now has correct framing (not cropped as the old release)
    and has been remastered.

    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10443

    There has also been talk about sound improvements on "Frankenstein".

    ML-78
    ML-78, Apr 28, 2004
  4. TB

    TSKO Guest

    Wasn't there a scene that was cut out when ole Frank threw the little girl
    into a lake and killed her? I seem to remember seeing something about this
    some time ago. I honestly dont remember much of the movie...its been a
    loonnng time. Anyways..is that scene put back in(or did it ever exist
    anywhere besides my brain)?

    TSKO, Apr 28, 2004
  5. TB

    Bill Coleman Guest

    That was from Frankenstein, not Bride of Frankenstein, and it's been put
    back in the prints for quite some time...it was in the last DVD release.

    Bill Coleman

    ==============

    Bill Coleman, Apr 28, 2004
  6. TB

    Joe DiBasi Guest

    Patrick Neve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'd like to know as well. At the very least I hope they were able to port
    > over the old MCA laserdisc transfer.
    >
    > Actually, I'll be able to tell you in a day or two when it arrives, if
    > nobody has answered by then.

    Let us know. Since the laserdisc was superior to the original DVD
    release, I'd be curious to know how much of a difference the new
    remaster makes, if any.
    Joe DiBasi, Apr 28, 2004
  7. "TB" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the
    > new Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?
    >
    > T.B.

    It's a mixed bag. Using two players, I loaded up both Universal DVD
    versions of _Bride of Frankenstein_ and switched between them.

    The new _Bride of Frankenstein_ image is now centered, and in most
    scenes, contains approximately 20% more picture because the edges of the
    picture are no longer cut off. The original version had lots of missing
    picture information due to its being off center and magnified.

    The original _Bride of Frankenstein_ picture was virtually unacceptable
    due to its poor video quality. Although the original version is sharper
    than the new one, this sharpness comes at the expense of being
    accompanied by lots of video noise, snow and other distracting
    artifacts. Now, after being run through a video sanitizer, _Bride of
    Frankenstein_ has a highly-polished, "Citizen Kane" look. The new image
    is now virtually free of distracting artifacts, but at the expense of
    picture sharpness. Black level, on the other hand, is excellent.

    The audio level of the new _Bride of Frankenstein_ is much lower than
    that of the original version. This doesn't seem to present a problem,
    but you will need to turn up the volume quite a bit more on the new DVD.
    The sound quality of the two versions seems to be about the same, once
    the volume is equalized.

    The main attraction to the new _Bride of Frankenstein_ is its price.
    While all of the individual DVDs in the original Frankenstein series
    were priced at $25 each, I found all three Universal Monster box sets
    selling at Wal-Mart for $14.77 each.

    Bottom line: The new _Bride of Frankenstein_ -- while not as good as it
    could be -- is superior to the original version. If the digital
    sanitation had been turned down a notch and the volume turned up a
    notch, the new disk would be nearly perfect. The low price of the new
    version is its main attraction.
    One-Shot Scot, Apr 29, 2004
  8. TB

    drsd2kill Guest

    you are confused - that scene you mention was in FRANKENSTEIN, not its sequel.
    It was restored to the film years ago and has been on every video edition since
    the late 80's
    drsd2kill, Apr 30, 2004