    Thanks
    squelch41
    , Sep 28, 2007

  2. Cats Guest

    On Sep 28, 5:54 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to scan a load of my old slides.
    > I was wondering whether it would be better to buy a cheap, new film
    > scanner or buy an older second hand scanner on ebay.
    >
    > The question is - does the advance in technology form say a coolscan
    > III's era now mean that a budget new scanner produces as good/better
    > results or can those older scanners still hold their own?
    >
    > I dont have a huge budget - around the £100-£150 mark.

    I guess you are in the UK since you give your budget in pounds. When
    I was looking for a dedicated slide scanner I found that the current
    Nikon models on ebay were going for not much less than the new price,
    but of course without the warrantee and so on so I got a new one.
    However, it was way out of your price bracket and I suspect that would
    still be the case even for the older models - you have to look to
    see, I bit the financial bullet and got a batch feeder on Ebay for
    half the new price, as I had enough slides that hand-feeding them or
    doing them 4 at a time would be very tedious. I also brought what was
    then a *big* USB external HDD to store the scans on!

    Some new flatbed scanners that I think are in your price range have
    Digital ICE, which unless you are scanning Kodachrome does a terrific
    job of getting rid of marks from dirt and scratches. However it
    usually doesn't produce acceptable results with Kodachrome, so if you
    have Kodachrome slides it won't help which is a pity since the older
    card mounts seem to be constantly shedding bits of dust onto the
    slides.... Mine are a mixture of Kodachrome and Fujichrome, plus I am
    still taking Fujichrome from time to time.

    Also, the Nikons require slides to be fed one by one unless you have a
    model that accepts a batch feeder *and* you can get a feeder (which
    don't come up often and blow the budget), so you might find a modern
    flat-bed that allows you to scan more at once better for your
    purposes.
    Cats, Sep 28, 2007

  3. tomm42 Guest

    On Sep 28, 12:54 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to scan a load of my old slides.
    > I was wondering whether it would be better to buy a cheap, new film
    > scanner or buy an older second hand scanner on ebay.
    >
    > The question is - does the advance in technology form say a coolscan
    > III's era now mean that a budget new scanner produces as good/better
    > results or can those older scanners still hold their own?
    >
    > I dont have a huge budget - around the £100-£150 mark.
    >
    > Thanks
    > squelch41

    Older scanners can be a pain especially when they are SCSI connection
    as I believe the Coolscan 3 is. This scanner is also very slow ans
    doesn't have great ability with denser slides. Look at a Nikon LS2000
    or even some later Epson flatbeds, V700/750 are the best, but an Epson
    4990 is also a good unit. I find my V700 to be bedtter than the LS2000
    I also have, very close but the edge is to the Epson. The 4990 isn't
    quite as good as the V700. Better scanners would be the Nikon LS4000
    (the LS5000 is way out price wise), or the Minolta 5400, or the
    Minolta Scan Multi, but that is SCSI too.
    Scanning is a long slow process, editing you images is paramount.
    Good luck
    Tom
    tomm42, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Jon B Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to scan a load of my old slides.
    > I was wondering whether it would be better to buy a cheap, new film
    > scanner or buy an older second hand scanner on ebay.
    >
    > The question is - does the advance in technology form say a coolscan
    > III's era now mean that a budget new scanner produces as good/better
    > results or can those older scanners still hold their own?
    >
    > I dont have a huge budget - around the £100-£150 mark.

    The Epsons come well liked, especially if you can dind one with digital
    ice which is now affordable on those.

    for eg
    <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94119>
    <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/132646>

    though the latter is slightly over budget at that store.
    --
    Jon B
    Above email address IS valid.
    Jon B, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Sep 29, 5:40 pm, (Jon B) wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I am looking to scan a load of my old slides.
    > > I was wondering whether it would be better to buy a cheap, new film
    > > scanner or buy an older second hand scanner on ebay.

    > > The question is - does the advance in technology form say a coolscan
    > > III's era now mean that a budget new scanner produces as good/better
    > > results or can those older scanners still hold their own?

    > > I dont have a huge budget - around the £100-£150 mark.

    > The Epsons come well liked, especially if you can dind one with digital
    > ice which is now affordable on those.
    >
    > for eg
    > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94119>
    > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/132646>
    >
    > though the latter is slightly over budget at that store.
    > --
    > Jon B
    > Above email address IS valid.
    > <http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

    So generally it is felt that the newer flat beds that have film
    adapters are better than the older dedicated scanners?
    SCSI isnt too much of a problem for me as it is built into my laptop's
    dock.

    Thanks for your advice
    squelch41
    , Sep 29, 2007
  6. Cats Guest

    <snip>
    > The Epsons come well liked, especially if you can dind one with digital
    > ice which is now affordable on those.
    >
    > for eg
    > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94119>
    > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/132646>
    >
    > though the latter is slightly over budget at that store.

    <snip>

    Just be aware that D-ICE doesn't work on b&w film, doesn't often
    produce good results on Kodachrome, but is fantastic on Fujichrome.
    Cats, Sep 30, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Sep 30, 9:30 am, Cats <> wrote:
    > <snip>> The Epsons come well liked, especially if you can dind one with digital
    > > ice which is now affordable on those.

    > > for eg
    > > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94119>
    > > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/132646>

    > > though the latter is slightly over budget at that store.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Just be aware that D-ICE doesn't work on b&w film, doesn't often
    > produce good results on Kodachrome, but is fantastic on Fujichrome.

    Luckily, nearly all mine are Fujichrome ;)
    , Oct 1, 2007
  8. Cats Guest

    On Oct 1, 12:19 am, wrote:
    > On Sep 30, 9:30 am, Cats <> wrote:
    >
    > > <snip>> The Epsons come well liked, especially if you can dind one with digital
    > > > ice which is now affordable on those.

    > > > for eg
    > > > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94119>
    > > > <http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/132646>

    > > > though the latter is slightly over budget at that store.

    > > <snip>

    > > Just be aware that D-ICE doesn't work on b&w film, doesn't often
    > > produce good results on Kodachrome, but is fantastic on Fujichrome.

    > Luckily, nearly all mine are Fujichrome ;)

    Having had a quick look. I'm not sure the suggested scanners have D-
    ICE... They might have some other kind of scratch removal software,
    check the specifications carefully before you buy if you are
    exdpecting D-ICE. I have a feeling it might come in somewhat over
    your budget.
    Cats, Oct 1, 2007