New-b Question on Hard Drive Config (Dell Pros Chime In)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Addammer@gmail.com, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am working along side a very computer savy friend of mine, and I
    thought I would mix up the questions so I wasn't going to him for
    everything.

    We are working on configuring a machine to be a "common ground" for 2
    other computers on a LAN. All of the important files would be
    stored/shared on this computer, and we want to incorporate an INTERNAL
    DDS-4 SCSI tape drive so that we can back up our important files. The
    machine we are looking at is a Dell Precision 380. We have configured
    the Hard Drive to "C9 all SCSI drives, Non-Raid, 1 drive total
    configuration." The Internal Controller Option is "39320A Internal
    Ultra 320 SCSI Controller with Raid 0 or 1." The tape drive we are
    looking at is from Sony. Model # SDT11000/PB. I called Sony to make
    sure that this was compatable and they said that I would need to buy
    and Adaptec 29160 PCI Controller. Does anyone have any idea why I
    would need to do this if I have already configured my hard drive to
    SCSI? Does the Machine not come with a "ribbon" to connect to the
    drive? caution, I am quite new to this.

    TIA!

    , Oct 3, 2005

  2. Brian Guest

    It seems to me that the tape drive should work on your system the way it is
    setup but maybe Sony was recommending the additional PCI card fro added
    reliability. That way the tape drive and hard drive are on seperate busses.
    Looking at the specs for the drive it should be recognized correctly by your
    SCSI setup though. You could try it without the card and add the card later
    to see what difference it makes

    Brian, Oct 4, 2005