New avast antivirus 4.7.817 for x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with shutdown
    on XP x64?
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Graham Guest

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with shutdown
    > on XP x64?

    I'm not Carlos (as you can probably tell!), but for me, it was fixed by
    one of the previous updates.

    Graham.

    Graham, Apr 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jane Colman Guest

    I'm using Avast and had no shutdown issues.

    --
    Jane, but not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

    Jane Colman, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Ok, thanks Graham and Jane. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:30:19 +1000, "Jane Colman"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm using Avast and had no shutdown issues.

    YMMV on this one. Some have it, some don't.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Hi Jud,

    Haven't seen you much in here lately, hope everythings fine. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:09:09 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Haven't seen you much in here lately, hope everythings fine. :)

    All fine here Andre. Have been too busy at work to Usenet :-( But the quiet
    time's have returned :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Hi, Andre.

    For myself, I fixed this quite some time ago with that crazy 'F5' trick that
    someone mentioned. Then when it auto-updated (the app - not the database!)
    one day the problem was back. I F5'ed again, and since then it only
    resurfaced once after a spontaneous re-boot.

    Curiously enough, I have had a number of strange controversies around x64
    not remembering configuration changes I make. It can be changing a default
    location in Flight Simulator or configuring Wi-Fi, or anything that you
    change, and then when you re-boot that very thing is back to it's old
    default. The funny thing is that if I change any such config info and then
    press F5 - after re-booting the new setting very often is retained!!!

    I remember back in Win3.1 if you changed something in Control Panel you had
    to restart Windows (not neccessarily re-boot the machine) there was this
    feature to press [Ctrl + Shft + F3(or something)] and the Contrlo Panel
    re-initialized itself on the spot. I missed it when it went away, but I
    never heard of it surviving in a different form.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 20, 2006
  10. Hi Andre:
    I've had no shutdown issues since I disabled fast user switching and use the
    standard login screen.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 20, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just a point, the link is for the Paid version not the Free version most
    here use
    I also have not had shutdown problems.

    John Barnes, Apr 20, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As noted here before, my most annoying configuration change that x64 keeps
    forgetting is the height of the task bar. I have to reset it maybe 30-40%
    of the time. Real pain.

    John Barnes, Apr 20, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Rick Guest

    The task bar height problem is not just a Win x64 problem. I have had
    it in Win XP Home & Pro. I currently don't have the problem, but I did
    about a year ago. I would have to resize the bar about 1/2 the time.
    This went on for about a month or so and then it just quit. I have had
    this on at least 2 different occasions & systems that I recall off the
    top of my head.

    Rick, Apr 20, 2006
  14. Yes, I've been through that as well, but very infrequently. Like Rick says,
    I think my notebook (home) has had that problem too - unfortunately, I
    cannot remember excactly which problems was resolved by F5'ing, just that
    not only Avast found a helper there.

    Hmm, be nice if some MS GUI Expert would drop by on occasion?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 20, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Fortunately I haven't had the problem on any other system. Sometimes it
    will be many days with no problem, then I have the problem every time I boot
    for days.
    Win98, Win98SE, WinME and WinXPx86 worked fine, but for a while I had my
    sound that would occasionally not work on XP requiring a system restore or
    reinstall drivers.

    John Barnes, Apr 20, 2006
  16. Strange, I have not encountered this phenomena (yet), on XP x86 or XP x64,
    at least I will know what do if it does happen. :) Thanks guys. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  17. Fortunately I am also the only one on my system, so if I was using Avast, I
    would not encounter. My AV right now though is Symantec AV 10. Works real
    good.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Pete Guest

    "Jane Colman" <> wrote in message

    > I'm using Avast and had no shutdown issues.

    I do...

    Pete, Apr 23, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't either, but your choice is to purchase one of the products that
    work, live with the problem or with luck, one of the solutions offered on
    this site will work for you.

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2006
  20. use NOD32.. much more stable. u can use the 30day trial for free without
    giving any info. there are some heavy hitters that use this type of a/v. its
    atleast worth checking out
    --
    AMD Clawhammer 4000+, MSI Diamond Plus, 2G Corsair Platnum, EVGA 6800GS,
    Windows 64 bit Pro

    =?Utf-8?B?YWw=?=, Apr 23, 2006