    actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't want
    phone service since I use a cell phone.

    any advice is appreciated!

    Brian, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Brian

    Julie P. Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:Oebe.7997$...
    >I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
    >don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another
    >10 for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need
    >an actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't
    >want phone service since I use a cell phone.

    maybe. probably not though. What you want is called "naked DSL" (DSL with no
    phone line). Verizon is offering it in select trial markets, starting in the
    northeast (former NYNEX and Bell Atlantic customers). Qwest also offers
    naked DSL. All cable companies already offer "naked cable". The fee is
    usually $5 more a month than if had both.

    Go here and do a search for DSL providers in your area and contact each one
    to see if they do naked DSL:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4002-6549_7-5114723.html?tag=more
    or
    http://www.dslreports.com/search

    Interesting articles about naked DSL:

    http://www.ovum.com/go/content/c,46710

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/18/2131234&from=rss

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005

  3. Brian

    Old Gringo Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
    > don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another 10
    > for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need an
    > actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't want
    > phone service since I use a cell phone.
    >
    > any advice is appreciated!

    Check with the Big Boys, you may be in luck:
    http://www.speakeasy.net/home/onelink/

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Brian

    philo Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I am getting an apartment soon and will need broadband internet. First, I
    > don't need cable TV so roadrunner would be over $55 a month (45 + another

    10
    > for no tv). DSL is 30 bucks. 3mbps is plenty fast for me. But do I need an
    > actual voice line service to get DSL, or can I get just DSL? I don't want
    > phone service since I use a cell phone.

    best to check with your company...
    but you may need some type of minimal service...
    it will still be less than roadrunner.
    my regular phone service + DSL is approx $48 / month

    philo, May 8, 2005