    planes until at least 2020.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aft-carriers-will-make-us-laughing-stock.html

    I think the headline says it all. What are our defence chiefs thinking!!
    StevieO, Nov 9, 2010

  2. StevieO

    G. Morgan Guest

    "StevieO" <> wrote:

    >Following last month's defence review, one carrier will only operate for
    >three years and will never carry aircraft. The second will not carry
    >planes until at least 2020.

    8.4B USD for a non-functional ship and one that won't be ready until 2020...

    You coulda just bought 2 Nimitz-class supercarriers for $9B from the Yanks. You
    know our economy needs some stimulation, and frankly, your Countryman have not
    reached modern shipbuilding skills (judging by the "Invincible" class of
    aircraft carriers currently in use).

    Which one would you rather be on when the shit hits the fan?! ;-)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USS_John_C._Stennis_(CVN-74)_&_HMS_Illustrious_(R_06).jpg
    G. Morgan, Nov 9, 2010

  3. StevieO

    Peter Foldes Guest

    I think all those defense chiefs are related to the Chamberlain family of 1939

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Nov 9, 2010
  4. StevieO

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:52:53 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:

    > I think

    More lies, eh?

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 9, 2010
  5. StevieO

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:52:53 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >
    >> I think

    > More lies, eh?

    LOL. And what have you been smoking or drinking lately :)

    Peter Foldes, Nov 9, 2010
  6. StevieO

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 08:06:38 -0500, StevieO wrote:

    >> wrote in message news:...

    > The deputy chairman of the company building the Royal Navy's two new
    > aircraft carriers has said the programme is a "disaster" that will make
    > Britain "a laughing stock".
    >
    > Following last month's defence review, one carrier will only operate for
    > three years and will never carry aircraft. The second will not carry
    > planes until at least 2020.
    >
    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aft-carriers-will-make-us-laughing-stock.html
    >
    > I think the headline says it all. What are our defence chiefs thinking!!

    There is at least one US Naval vessel most people aren't aware because the
    powers that be don't want it to be known about.

    When a friend of mine visited Hawaii he was near a Navy dock and had seen
    this one particular ship and asked about it. "That is classified. But
    basically, that ship is totally remotely controlled from land or air. The
    only crew on it is purely for maintenance.".

    What the Brits should do is simple. Launch drones instead of those big
    costly aircraft. A drone could be the fourth the size of a big aircraft and
    therefore, saving not only money, but a few lives as well. The "pilot"
    would be sitting at a desk inside the ship. So less money is being spent
    training the pilot.
    richard, Nov 9, 2010
  7. StevieO

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-11-09, richard <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 08:06:38 -0500, StevieO wrote:
    >
    >>> wrote in message news:...

    >> The deputy chairman of the company building the Royal Navy's two new
    >> aircraft carriers has said the programme is a "disaster" that will make
    >> Britain "a laughing stock".
    >>
    >> Following last month's defence review, one carrier will only operate for
    >> three years and will never carry aircraft. The second will not carry
    >> planes until at least 2020.
    >>
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aft-carriers-will-make-us-laughing-stock.html
    >>
    >> I think the headline says it all. What are our defence chiefs thinking!!

    > There is at least one US Naval vessel most people aren't aware because the
    > powers that be don't want it to be known about.
    >
    > When a friend of mine visited Hawaii he was near a Navy dock and had seen
    > this one particular ship and asked about it. "That is classified. But
    > basically, that ship is totally remotely controlled from land or air. The
    > only crew on it is purely for maintenance.".
    >
    > What the Brits should do is simple. Launch drones instead of those big
    > costly aircraft. A drone could be the fourth the size of a big aircraft and
    > therefore, saving not only money, but a few lives as well. The "pilot"
    > would be sitting at a desk inside the ship. So less money is being spent
    > training the pilot.

    I suspect that idea has already been put into action. Air forces with
    manned war-craft could go the same way as cavalry and swords - reserved for
    ceremonial purposes and the very few situations where nothing else will do.

    But big fast ships will always be good for delivering emergency 'stuff'
    after earthquakes and the like, and for rescuing survivors [1]; to do that
    they need to carry assorted helicopters and possibly 'spotter planes',
    which are a lot more use than supersonic fighter-bombers or 'nuclear
    rockets' in almost all scenarios I can imagine. Humanitarian missions are
    a lot easier to justify than warfare (and probably more popular with most
    of the service personnel involved).

    So aircraft carriers with no fighter-planes and frigates with no WMDs
    aren't such a bad thing :))

    [1] I also like the idea of using large airships for such things; they can
    stay in or near one spot without landing for a lot longer than any
    helicopter, and carry bigger and heavier loads - imagine being able to
    drop complete ready-to-use shelters and a fully functioning field hospital
    within hours of a disaster, and follow up with bull-dozers or swamp-boats
    or whatever else might be useful.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 11, 2010