    option.

    Thanks!

    TV
    Travis McGee, Jul 21, 2007

  2. Travis McGee

    Paul Guest

    Travis McGee wrote:
    > Hi guys!
    >
    > I've built the AThlon 3000+ I had laying around with an MSI Delta Plantinum
    > mobo and 1 G of DDR 2700. I also installed XP home. I also bought a new
    > Samsung 216bw monitor, almost 22" wide screen.
    > However, the only video card I had on hand was an analog, 64 mb, XFX 400
    > something (lost the box), and was wondering about whether a better card
    > would help with video watching.
    >
    > I'm looking at a PNY GeForce 6200, 256 mb, found here
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133151
    >
    > This one is $60...........is there a better choice? I'd prefer the no fan
    > option.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > TV

    Why not try the "XFX 400 whatever" card first ? The monitor has an analog
    input. Give it a try. That will at least give you some idea, how big a
    video window you can use, before the system runs out of steam.

    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_widescreen/ls22mevsfvxaa.asp?page=Specifications

    I have a whole list of ridiculous alternatives, but they will probably cost
    more than $60. Some of the alternatives are not shipping yet (yes, there are
    more AGP cards coming - DX-10 capable cards). Note that there is some marketing
    hype for improved video playback (more acceleration in the video card), but I
    expect the driver end of things will never catch up (they don't support enough
    media types yet). They ship hardware and promises, faster than any software to
    use it.

    "No fan" cards are not always stable. I have two cards, where one runs fine
    while gaming, and the other "fanless" card needs a fan blowing on it. So
    worse case, be prepared to shell out for a fan.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 22, 2007