New Actrix plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by miguellint@yahoo.com, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Mar 30, 2006

  2. ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > If anyone's interested their new plans are in the latest newsletter
    >
    > http://editor.actrix.co.nz/

    Hey Miguel,

    I got the same one. :)

    Unfortunately, even though it says "the upshot of it all will be faster
    plans at lower cost" the plan I'm on remains unchanged. Oh well, I guess
    that's better than what's happened to some of OrCON's plans. I'd really like
    to have a faster upload speed but Telecom restrict that option as only
    available to people who have 3.5M downstream, i.e. the most expensive plan.

    I think that their starter plan, 256/128, 35MB/day (1GB/month), dropping to
    64/64 each day after the cap is reached, for $27.95 (with tolls) is a good
    plan for low-use customers. It's no dearer than some dial-up plans.

    Hopefully the com-com won't fall for this though and will still force
    Telecom to do more.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > If anyone's interested their new plans are in the latest newsletter
    > >
    > > http://editor.actrix.co.nz/

    > Hey Miguel,
    >
    > I got the same one. :)
    >
    > Unfortunately, even though it says "the upshot of it all will be faster
    > plans at lower cost" the plan I'm on remains unchanged. Oh well, I guess
    > that's better than what's happened to some of OrCON's plans. I'd really like
    > to have a faster upload speed but Telecom restrict that option as only
    > available to people who have 3.5M downstream, i.e. the most expensive plan.
    >
    > I think that their starter plan, 256/128, 35MB/day (1GB/month), dropping to
    > 64/64 each day after the cap is reached, for $27.95 (with tolls) is a good
    > plan for low-use customers. It's no dearer than some dial-up plans.
    >
    > Hopefully the com-com won't fall for this though and will still force
    > Telecom to do more.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    Howdy Shaun,

    I sent Actrix an email a few weeks ago telling them, amongst their new
    plans, to keep offering an unchanged plan (1GB per day @ 2MB/s for $70
    per month) cos the upgrade to 3.5MB/s was nothing to get excited about.
    Amazingly they listened to me. (Or that's what I'm telling myself)

    It's worth changing plans for ADSL2+ (24MB/s) but not for what Telecom
    is currently putting on the table.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 30, 2006
  4. Graymond Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> If anyone's interested their new plans are in the latest newsletter
    >>
    >> http://editor.actrix.co.nz/

    > Hey Miguel,
    >
    > I got the same one. :)
    >
    > Unfortunately, even though it says "the upshot of it all will be faster
    > plans at lower cost" the plan I'm on remains unchanged. Oh well, I guess
    > that's better than what's happened to some of OrCON's plans. I'd really
    > like to have a faster upload speed but Telecom restrict that option as
    > only available to people who have 3.5M downstream, i.e. the most expensive
    > plan.
    >
    > I think that their starter plan, 256/128, 35MB/day (1GB/month), dropping
    > to 64/64 each day after the cap is reached, for $27.95 (with tolls) is a
    > good plan for low-use customers. It's no dearer than some dial-up plans.
    >
    > Hopefully the com-com won't fall for this though and will still force
    > Telecom to do more.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    How is it that Slingshot has been running 3GB/month for $29.95 plus tolls
    with a min $10 toll payment which most households would spend in the normal
    course of events. I have been on this scheme for some months and often
    wonder why I don't see it mentioned much in this Group.
    Ray

    Graymond, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Guest

    > How is it that Slingshot has been running 3GB/month for $29.95 plus tolls
    > with a min $10 toll payment which most households would spend in the normal
    > course of events.

    > Ray

    Hello Ray,

    I don't quite understand what your Slingshot plan is. Do you pay $29.95
    and are then expected to make $10 worth of toll calls.

    I couldn't quite work out what the story is, from looking at
    Slingshot's website. (Yes I know, it's not your fault I'm too dumb to
    work it out :)

    If all you pay is $29.95 per month then it's not a bad deal at all for
    a light user plan.

    If you pay $39.95 per month ($29.95 + $10) then Actrix has the same
    speed but a 350 MB per day cap (11GB per month).

    Please note I'm just an Actrix user. Not part of their sales team. If
    you're happy with the service Slingshot provide then that's all that
    matters.

    I note that Slingshot's "Sprint 10GB" is $10 cheaper than Xtra
    Adventure, the identical package from Xtra. It'll be interesting to see
    if Xtra come down.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 30, 2006
  6. MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > I think that their starter plan, 256/128, 35MB/day (1GB/month),
    > dropping to 64/64 each day after the cap is reached, for $27.95 (with
    > tolls) is a good plan for low-use customers. It's no dearer than some
    > dial-up plans.

    To be honest I wouldn't recommend a plan like that to anyone. Come on,
    35MB per day! Even light browsing and E-Mail usage could easily hit that
    limit. Downloading a movie trailer or game demo would be painfully slow at
    64K for the most part.

    To be honest I think 5GB per month should be the minimum for all light
    users and MUCH higher limits available for us heavy users (without breaking
    the bank).

    The commerce commission will most likely bollocks it up and do almost
    nothing for us when they get around to making a decision.

    So far the worst plan that I have seen anywhere offered 100MB per month,
    WTF! But this was offered at AUS$9.95 which is pretty cheap - but even so
    100MB? It seems to me that the idea of such a plan is to make the ISP
    money on overage charges - then when the customer bitches about it they
    sell a plan that costs 4 times as much, which will actually be useful to
    the customer. At least the same company offered a 40GB plan with 8M/1M for
    Aus$89.95 - a pretty respectable option IMO.

    In NZ the plan I like the most is not available to me: TelstraClear cable
    10M/2M 80GB for $139.95.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 30, 2006
  7. Graymond Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >> How is it that Slingshot has been running 3GB/month for $29.95 plus tolls
    >> with a min $10 toll payment which most households would spend in the
    >> normal
    >> course of events.

    >> Ray

    > Hello Ray,
    >
    > I don't quite understand what your Slingshot plan is. Do you pay $29.95
    > and are then expected to make $10 worth of toll calls.

    Yes

    > I couldn't quite work out what the story is, from looking at
    > Slingshot's website. (Yes I know, it's not your fault I'm too dumb to
    > work it out :)
    >
    > If all you pay is $29.95 per month then it's not a bad deal at all for
    > a light user plan.
    >
    > If you pay $39.95 per month ($29.95 + $10) then Actrix has the same
    > speed but a 350 MB per day cap (11GB per month).

    I believe for the "Quick plan" at 35MB/day it is $27.95 plus $10 minimum
    tolls or ---" If you don't wish to move to Actrix Tolls, the monthly price
    increases by $10.00." This gives you just over 1GB a month

    I pay $29.95 plus a minimum $10 for tolls but as I have my tolls with
    Slingshot and we always spend well over $10 a month on tolls I'm effectively
    only paying $29.95 for 3 GB of 256 ?? broadband. By the way this plan has
    been around for a number of months, it's not a new one.
    Ray

    Graymond, Mar 30, 2006
  8. Guest

    Hello again Ray,

    > I believe for the "Quick plan" at 35MB/day it is $27.95 plus $10 minimum
    > tolls or ---" If you don't wish to move to Actrix Tolls, the monthly price
    > increases by $10.00." This gives you just over 1GB a month

    Actually Actrix just require you to sign up to their toll plans to get
    the $10 off. You don't have to make any calls.

    Unlike you I never make toll calls, mainly because I've got no friends
    :)

    > I pay $29.95 plus a minimum $10 for tolls but as I have my tolls with
    > Slingshot and we always spend well over $10 a month on tolls I'm effectively
    > only paying $29.95 for 3 GB of 256 ?? broadband.

    I met Annette Presley (blonde Slingshot lady) once in Wgtn. She's a
    really nice lady. I hope she keeps sticking it to Telecom.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 30, 2006
  9. Graymond Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello again Ray,
    >

    >> I believe for the "Quick plan" at 35MB/day it is $27.95 plus $10 minimum
    >> tolls or ---" If you don't wish to move to Actrix Tolls, the monthly
    >> price
    >> increases by $10.00." This gives you just over 1GB a month

    > Actually Actrix just require you to sign up to their toll plans to get
    > the $10 off. You don't have to make any calls.

    Hi Miguel,
    this from the Actrix Plan information and costs
    Please note that there is an additional charge of $10 per month if you do
    not use ActrixTolls for your toll calls.
    Ray

    Graymond, Mar 30, 2006
  10. RJ Guest

    In article <1143714226.454053@ftpsrv1>, says...

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello again Ray,
    > >

    > >> I believe for the "Quick plan" at 35MB/day it is $27.95 plus $10 minimum
    > >> tolls or ---" If you don't wish to move to Actrix Tolls, the monthly
    > >> price
    > >> increases by $10.00." This gives you just over 1GB a month

    > > Actually Actrix just require you to sign up to their toll plans to get
    > > the $10 off. You don't have to make any calls.

    > Hi Miguel,
    > this from the Actrix Plan information and costs
    > Please note that there is an additional charge of $10 per month if you do
    > not use ActrixTolls for your toll calls.

    YES BUT
    You don't actually have to make any toll calls

    RJ, Mar 30, 2006
  11. Richard Guest

    RJ wrote:

    >>this from the Actrix Plan information and costs
    >>Please note that there is an additional charge of $10 per month if you do
    >>not use ActrixTolls for your toll calls.

    > YES BUT
    > You don't actually have to make any toll calls

    Which is stupid because it costs them to setup non code access and if like me
    the landline is a seldom used thing you would rather do without then they will
    see 3/4 of nothing as there income from it.

    Richard, Mar 30, 2006
  12. David Empson Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > If anyone's interested their new plans are in the latest newsletter
    > >
    > > http://editor.actrix.co.nz/

    > Hey Miguel,
    >
    > I got the same one. :)
    >
    > Unfortunately, even though it says "the upshot of it all will be faster
    > plans at lower cost" the plan I'm on remains unchanged.

    Two of the old plans are identical and one is faster. None are cheaper.

    The old plans were:

    256k/128k/350MB for $39.95
    1M/128k/700MB for $54.95
    2M/128k/1GB for $69.95

    The first and third combinations are identical under the new scheme. The
    middle plan doesn't exist any more: the closest match is 2M/128k/700MB
    for $59.95, but customers already on the 1M plan will be upgraded to 2M
    without having to pay the extra $5 per month.

    The benefits of the new plans are:

    - Lower cost option if a 35MB daily limit is acceptable.
    - Higher speed options (3.5M/128k and 3.5M/512k) if you don't mind
    paying more.
    - Higher volume option (1.4GB per day) if you are on the fastest plan.
    - Pick your preferred combination of speed and daily limit (up to 1GB).

    Some of the new combinations make sense for people who want to download
    a moderate amount at faster speeds (e.g. 2M/128k/350MB for $49.95), or
    as much as possible at slower speeds (e.g. 256k/128k/1GB for $59.95).

    The 3.5M plans with 35 MB daily limit seem a bit pointless. The daily
    limit could be reached in about 80 seconds of full speed downloads.

    I was hoping my $39.95 plan would be getting faster.

    I'd prefer something like 2M/128/100MB, and don't really want to spend
    an extra $10 per month to get 2M/128/350MB. 35 MB would be enough for me
    most days, but I need to do occasional downloads in the order of tens to
    low hundreds of megabytes. I've only gone over 100 MB once (first day I
    got my ADSL connection) and haven't hit my 350 MB limit yet.

    > Hopefully the com-com won't fall for this though and will still force
    > Telecom to do more.

    Agreed.
    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Mar 30, 2006
  13. ~misfit~ Guest

    Graymond wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> If anyone's interested their new plans are in the latest newsletter
    >>>
    >>> http://editor.actrix.co.nz/

    >> Hey Miguel,
    >>
    >> I got the same one. :)
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, even though it says "the upshot of it all will be
    >> faster plans at lower cost" the plan I'm on remains unchanged. Oh
    >> well, I guess that's better than what's happened to some of OrCON's
    >> plans. I'd really like to have a faster upload speed but Telecom
    >> restrict that option as only available to people who have 3.5M
    >> downstream, i.e. the most expensive plan.
    >>
    >> I think that their starter plan, 256/128, 35MB/day (1GB/month),
    >> dropping to 64/64 each day after the cap is reached, for $27.95
    >> (with tolls) is a good plan for low-use customers. It's no dearer
    >> than some dial-up plans. Hopefully the com-com won't fall for this though
    >> and will still force
    >> Telecom to do more.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~Shaun~
    >>

    > How is it that Slingshot has been running 3GB/month for $29.95 plus
    > tolls with a min $10 toll payment which most households would spend
    > in the normal course of events. I have been on this scheme for some
    > months and often wonder why I don't see it mentioned much in this
    > Group. Ray

    Actrix don't require you to actually make any toll calls, just have your
    tolls going through them. That's good for me as last month my toll bill was
    49c. If I understand it correctly, that would mean with Slingshot I'd have
    to pay an extra $10?

    My average toll bill is between $0 and $5 a month, usually around $2.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 30, 2006
  14. ~misfit~ Guest

    Graymond wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hello again Ray,
    >>

    >>> I believe for the "Quick plan" at 35MB/day it is $27.95 plus $10
    >>> minimum tolls or ---" If you don't wish to move to Actrix Tolls,
    >>> the monthly price
    >>> increases by $10.00." This gives you just over 1GB a month

    >> Actually Actrix just require you to sign up to their toll plans to
    >> get the $10 off. You don't have to make any calls.

    > Hi Miguel,
    > this from the Actrix Plan information and costs
    > Please note that there is an additional charge of $10 per month if
    > you do not use ActrixTolls for your toll calls.
    > Ray

    This is also from the Actrix website:

    "We do not have a minimum monthly requirement for tolls spend, so you still
    get the low price, even if you make no toll calls."

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 30, 2006
  15. Graymond Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Graymond wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hey Miguel,
    >>>
    >>> I got the same one. :)
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately, even though it says "the upshot of it all will be
    >>> faster plans at lower cost" the plan I'm on remains unchanged. Oh
    >>> well, I guess that's better than what's happened to some of OrCON's
    >>> plans. I'd really like to have a faster upload speed but Telecom
    >>> restrict that option as only available to people who have 3.5M
    >>> downstream, i.e. the most expensive plan.
    >>>
    >>> I think that their starter plan, 256/128, 35MB/day (1GB/month),
    >>> dropping to 64/64 each day after the cap is reached, for $27.95
    >>> (with tolls) is a good plan for low-use customers. It's no dearer
    >>> than some dial-up plans. Hopefully the com-com won't fall for this
    >>> though and will still force
    >>> Telecom to do more.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> --
    >>> ~Shaun~
    >>>

    >> How is it that Slingshot has been running 3GB/month for $29.95 plus
    >> tolls with a min $10 toll payment which most households would spend
    >> in the normal course of events. I have been on this scheme for some
    >> months and often wonder why I don't see it mentioned much in this
    >> Group. Ray

    > Actrix don't require you to actually make any toll calls, just have your
    > tolls going through them. That's good for me as last month my toll bill
    > was 49c. If I understand it correctly, that would mean with Slingshot I'd
    > have to pay an extra $10?
    >
    > My average toll bill is between $0 and $5 a month, usually around $2.
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    All points noted, however as a toll user the Slingshot plan of 3MB a month
    plus the $10 minimum toll suited us and as said earlier in this thread it
    has been around for a number of months.
    This is all a none event now as on Monday we cast away our landline broad
    band and go Mobile Broadband at $72 a month for 300MB, yuk, however with no
    line rental to pay we are saving about $8 a month and 300MB will do for
    email and a bit of browsing.
    Ray

    Graymond, Mar 30, 2006
  16. EMB Guest

    wrote:

    > Howdy Shaun,
    >
    > I sent Actrix an email a few weeks ago telling them, amongst their new
    > plans, to keep offering an unchanged plan (1GB per day @ 2MB/s for $70
    > per month) cos the upgrade to 3.5MB/s was nothing to get excited about.
    > Amazingly they listened to me. (Or that's what I'm telling myself)
    >
    > It's worth changing plans for ADSL2+ (24MB/s) but not for what Telecom
    > is currently putting on the table.

    A reliable source tells me that even if you stay on the current plans
    the contention ratio is still being dropped to the same level (reputedly
    140:1) as the 3.5Mb/s plans. So the net effect of the introduction of
    the 3.5Mb/s plans is to reduce performance on *all* ADSL offerings.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 31, 2006
  17. ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy Shaun,
    >>
    >> I sent Actrix an email a few weeks ago telling them, amongst their
    >> new plans, to keep offering an unchanged plan (1GB per day @ 2MB/s
    >> for $70 per month) cos the upgrade to 3.5MB/s was nothing to get
    >> excited about. Amazingly they listened to me. (Or that's what I'm
    >> telling myself) It's worth changing plans for ADSL2+ (24MB/s) but not for
    >> what
    >> Telecom is currently putting on the table.

    > A reliable source tells me that even if you stay on the current plans
    > the contention ratio is still being dropped to the same level
    > (reputedly 140:1) as the 3.5Mb/s plans. So the net effect of the
    > introduction of the 3.5Mb/s plans is to reduce performance on *all*
    > ADSL offerings.

    That will really suck. If my performance drops after the introduction of the
    neww plans I will have that clarified.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 1, 2006
  18. Mercury Guest

    2M/128k/1GB for $69.95

    That stinks. I have been on nan ihug plan of

    2M/256k/10GB for $69.95

    for months - until about Oct last year it was via telecom.

    I have no idea what these new plans are about. None. All I have seen so far
    are extra price points on the same formula - IE the slope of the curve is
    the same - the more you want the more you pay and they don't actually seem
    to be giving anything new that represents more for less IE lower cost.

    Mercury, Apr 1, 2006
  19. David Empson Guest

    Mercury <> wrote:

    > 2M/128k/1GB for $69.95
    >
    > That stinks. I have been on nan ihug plan of
    >
    > 2M/256k/10GB for $69.95
    >
    > for months - until about Oct last year it was via telecom.

    Are you comparing equivalent plans? The Actrix plan you quote is a DAILY
    limit of 1 GB (monthly about 30 GB). That is one of the three plans they
    were offering before, which doesn't change under the new plans being
    introduced on April 2nd.

    I assume the 10GB figure you mention for your ihug plan is a monthly
    limit.

    From April 2nd, Actrix will be offering an equivalent plan which would
    give 10GB monthly traffic without hitting a speed cap (2M/128k/350MB
    daily limit) at $49.95 per month.

    It looks like ihug now have better plans than the one you mention above.

    In general, ihug's plans look slightly better than Actrix, assuming you
    are happy with a monthly limit rather than a daily one.

    > I have no idea what these new plans are about. None. All I have seen so far
    > are extra price points on the same formula - IE the slope of the curve is
    > the same - the more you want the more you pay and they don't actually seem
    > to be giving anything new that represents more for less IE lower cost.

    I agree.

    Under the old system, Actrix's plans tended to be cheaper than most
    other ISPs if you wanted to transfer a lot of data. Those plans haven't
    got any cheaper under the new system (which is disappointing), but
    they've introduced a wider range of options if you want more volume at a
    lower speed or less volume at a higher speed.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 1, 2006
  20. Guest

    David Empson wrote:

    > Mercury <> wrote:
    >
    > > 2M/128k/1GB for $69.95
    > >
    > > That stinks. I have been on an ihug plan of
    > >
    > > 2M/256k/10GB for $69.95
    > >
    > > for months - until about Oct last year it was via telecom.

    > Are you comparing equivalent plans? The Actrix plan you quote is a DAILY
    > limit of 1 GB (monthly about 30 GB).

    Nearer to 40GB per month for me, running P2P 24/7-ish

    > In general, ihug's plans look slightly better than Actrix, assuming you
    > are happy with a monthly limit rather than a daily one.

    Are there any other NZ ISP's running daily caps. For me, they're a much
    better system than monthly caps.

    My brother-in-law on Xtra has been rate-limited for the last twelve
    days (!!!) and he's still got another two days until his month is up.
    And his cap is only 10GB per month.

    He pays $10 less per month than me but that's been of little comfort to
    him for the last twelve days.

    > > I have no idea what these new plans are about. None. All I have seen so far
    > > are extra price points on the same formula - IE the slope of the curve is
    > > the same - the more you want the more you pay and they don't actually seem
    > > to be giving anything new that represents more for less IE lower cost.

    > I agree.
    >
    > David Empson

    The beauty of these plans is that Actrix have given some of their
    current users the option *NOT* to change. It seems to me, from reading
    various posts in the group, that most ISP's are changing their plans
    and moving customers to new plans when the overall difference between
    old DL/UL speeds and new DL/UL speeds are minimal.

    Not until ADSL2+ is introduced will there be a need, for me, to
    re-evaluate ISP's and plans.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Apr 2, 2006