New A+ certificationee, test feedback

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by jeff, May 22, 2004.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    HI,
    Passed second test yesterday(OS), passed other one if Feb.
    Just thought I'd pass along my experience.

    No genius, both my scores were slightly short of 600, but if someone
    with my memory skills(poor) and intellict(average) can pass, anyone
    can with some work.

    As far as what to study: all of it!. You can't depend on questions
    heavy from a particular section.
    I read quite a bit(I owned a comprehensive but overinfoed text book
    and checked out the library for Meyers 2002 book, New Dummies A+ and
    a few others that helped. Lots and lots of reading and note taking. I
    liked to make up my own tests by going to excel, making up short
    questions with answer in next column, save, for use as a key, and then
    using the sort button to mix up the answers. I also did a lot of free
    tests and tests that came with books.
    Didn't ever pay any firm for questions.

    As far as the OS, which I took yesterday and have a good memory of:
    -crammed to the end on those keyboard shortcuts but no questions on
    any of those
    -Was pretty weak in navigation, can do it, couldn't tell you how, and
    that hurt me on the score as there were a good bit of questions on
    navigation.
    -Do need to know what can be upgraded to what
    -multiple answer format seemed to throw in similiar answers hard to
    decipher.

    - after reading heavily, five different books, there were a number of
    items that I had never heard of. The first question threw me into a
    tizzy as it was asking about something completely foreign.

    -also some switch questions that I had to guess at. There must be
    100's of different switches for command line utilities. Remember a
    ipconfig switch question. It'd be a good thing to at least try to
    become familiar. To try to memorize them all would be a giant
    undertaking.

    Really did not feel I did all that well. Very nervous about hitting
    the end exam button. But now its all over and on to network.

    -No OSI questions, thank God.

    Any questions about it I'd be glad to answer while its still fresh in
    my mind.

    Jeff
    jeff, May 22, 2004

  2. I sent you an email jeff

    Fred

    Fred Mathering, May 22, 2004

  3. "VanillaSky" <> wrote in message

    > I recently saw a question i atest generator for the OS test ask which

    layer
    > of the OSI model..... WTH? I assumed it was a mistake. Iwent through

    all
    > of that with the N+ test, and I surely dont remember seeing a breakdown of
    > OSI in any of the Meyers offerings.

    It's probably a mistake. The current exams objectives (
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp ) do not mention the
    OSI model, so I wouldn't worry about it. There are very few things I
    encountered on the A+ test that Mike Meyers didn't cover in one part or
    another, and his networking chapters are more than sufficient for the tests.
    Patrick Michael, May 22, 2004
  4. I thought the practice tests
    in Exam Cram were very helpful.
    True, they aren't in the format of an
    actual A+ test, but they leave you
    with a clear idea of which
    topics need more review.

    Also, the For Dummies book
    ain't bad either.

    If you're short on cash, park yourself
    in the local Borders or B&N Bookstore
    with a couple of refreshments; then,
    take the quizzes right there.

    You're still going to need to own
    at least one good guide that you can spend
    any hour of the day with.

    One could argue that the OS exam is slightly
    easier than the hardware core exam; because,
    there is less route memorization involved and
    because many of the topics were
    already learned to take the hardware core (assuming
    you're taking them in the usual order). Still,
    I can understand why a repair tech would be
    more worried about the OS exam.

    Good luck.

    ======================
    "YOUGER91" <> wrote in message
    > Any questions about it I'd be glad to answer while its still fresh in
    > my mind.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > Hi Jeff,
    > I passed the hardware part last month with great difficulty, My

    memory is
    > also shot due to tons of meds from a kidney/pancreas transplant last June.

    > am new to computers, I was a retail manager now displaced from the

    workforce
    > due to the physical work involved. I am disabled on medicare, my state is
    > paying for my training, but not the tests. I really have to be ready

    before I
    > spend on the test, cause with my meds, cash is real low system resource.

    The
    > OS does look very tough to me cause I'm really only familiar with Me, and

    98.
    > How long did it take you to prepare for taking the OS? Any other tips you

    can
    J. Q. Etuo, MSCE/CCNA/A+, May 25, 2004