    Is there a new virus circulating that has these characteristics?

    Subject lines: mail error, FwD: Details, Illegal signs in your mail,
    etc.? And file size seems to be 76-77K file.

    I've suddenly finding quite a few of these sent to one of my email
    addresses and am curious where the virus came from and what type of
    payoff it offers.

    No, I haven't opened any.

    Edw. Peach, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Edw. Peach

    Martin Guest

    Edw. Peach wrote:
    > Is there a new virus circulating that has these characteristics?
    >
    > Subject lines: mail error, FwD: Details, Illegal signs in your mail,
    > etc.? And file size seems to be 76-77K file.
    >
    > I've suddenly finding quite a few of these sent to one of my email
    > addresses and am curious where the virus came from and what type of
    > payoff it offers.
    >
    > No, I haven't opened any.

    yes

    W32/Bober.j AVERT have just raised the risk level to medium

    Martin, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Martin meant: W32/Sober.j

    ~ ~ ~
    Advisory
    This is a Medium Threat Advisory for W32/Sober.j@MM

    Justification
    W32/Sober.j@MM has been deemed Medium due to prevalence.

    Read About It
    Information about W32/Sober.j@MM is located on VIL at:
    <http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_130130.htm>

    Detection
    W32/Sober.j@MM was first discovered on 11/19/2004 and detection will be
    added to the 4409 dat files (Release Date: 11/19/2004). The EXTRA.DAT will
    be available soon.

    If you suspect you have W32/Sober.j@MM, please submit a sample to
    http://www.webimmune.net.

    Risk Assessment Definition
    For further information on the Risk Assessment and AVERT Recommended Actions
    please see:
    http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/security/resources/risk_assessment.htm

    Best Regards,

    McAfee AVERT - Anti Virus and Vulnerability Research, Analysis, and
    Solutions visit us at www.avertlabs.com

    ~ ~ ~
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Edw. Peach

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:49:14 -0500, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a new virus circulating that has these characteristics?
    >
    >Subject lines: mail error, FwD: Details, Illegal signs in your mail,
    >etc.? And file size seems to be 76-77K file.
    >
    >I've suddenly finding quite a few of these sent to one of my email
    >addresses and am curious where the virus came from and what type of
    >payoff it offers.
    >
    >No, I haven't opened any.

    Generally the virus attachments I see are in the 42-44k range.

    Someone managed to send me a message that crashed Eudora
    today, but don't think it was malevolent.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    Thanks. I couldn't figure out which one it was from the list I read
    on Norton's site.

    Edw. Peach, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Edw. Peach

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:09:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Martin meant: W32/Sober.j

    hic.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Edw. Peach

    Martin Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:09:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >

    >>Martin meant: W32/Sober.j

    > hic.
    >
    > --