New 250gb HD.. W2k only sees 137gb at format

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Guest, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Motherboard is an ECS Elitegroup L4VXA2, P4 400/533Mhz. Based on the highly
    integrated
    VIA Apollo P4X400 VIA VT8754 northbridge & VT8235 southbridge chipsets. The
    BIOS
    does see the new HD and says it's 250 or 251gb (can't remember). If BIOS
    reads the right
    size then I take it the board supports 48 bit LBA (support for drives over
    128gb or is it 137gb) ??
    But in the beginning of booting from the W2k disk to install W2k, it only
    sees 137gb to format. ??
    Now Microsoft's site says that W2k before SP3 does not support 48 bit LBA,
    so it will not
    recognize drives higher than 137gb. But SP3 and later does.
    (Also states that you should ad "EnablebigLBA" and some other settings in
    the BIOS)

    Hmmm... but what good is that during the format stage? You need to be able
    to format 250gb
    in order to see and use 250gb, no?
    Do you think I have a motherboard issue or W2k issue or am I missing
    something else.

    Any input would be great...

    >"You also have to realize that boards which lack 48 bit LBA
    >support (support for drives over 128GB) can be fairly recent models. Even
    >boards as new as 1.5-2 years-old sometimes lack this support. If your board
    >is vintage from the days of Win98, then chances are faily good that you

    will

    Guest, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Guest

    HF Guest

    Why not have a go at the mfrs website.Do they not have any instal software
    there.

    HF, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thor Guest

    <> wrote in message news:aNECd.328953$HA.216740@attbi_s01...
    > Motherboard is an ECS Elitegroup L4VXA2, P4 400/533Mhz. Based on the
    > highly
    > integrated
    > VIA Apollo P4X400 VIA VT8754 northbridge & VT8235 southbridge chipsets.
    > The
    > BIOS
    > does see the new HD and says it's 250 or 251gb (can't remember). If BIOS
    > reads the right
    > size then I take it the board supports 48 bit LBA (support for drives over
    > 128gb or is it 137gb) ??
    > But in the beginning of booting from the W2k disk to install W2k, it only
    > sees 137gb to format. ??
    > Now Microsoft's site says that W2k before SP3 does not support 48 bit LBA,
    > so it will not
    > recognize drives higher than 137gb. But SP3 and later does.
    > (Also states that you should ad "EnablebigLBA" and some other settings in
    > the BIOS)
    >
    > Hmmm... but what good is that during the format stage? You need to be able
    > to format 250gb
    > in order to see and use 250gb, no?
    > Do you think I have a motherboard issue or W2k issue or am I missing
    > something else.
    >
    > Any input would be great...

    You can create a slipstreamed W2K install disc with SP3 integrated and you
    shouldn't have any trouble formatting the big drive during the installation
    process. Look for slipstreaming instructions or utilities on the net. There
    are many. I use Nlite, which works great for me on WinXP Sp2 slipstreaming.
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/

    Thor, Jan 5, 2005