New 16 Year-Old Photographer's Website

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheGurtner@gmail.com, Apr 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Apr 8, 2007

  2. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    I love it! The site is set up nice, and it looks like you're having a good
    time with the hobby. Keep shooting, keep experimenting, and don't forget to
    do one of the most important things: organize and file your images. I have a
    ton of photos from high school and I always wished I'd cataloged them a lot
    better. (class of 1972...)

    BTW, you have no idea how valuable these pictures will become to you and
    others as time passes. Make sure you store them and protect them. Include
    the names of the subjects, as well. Trust me, you'll forget more of the
    names than you could ever realize.

    Kinon O'Cann, Apr 9, 2007

  3. =\(8\) Guest

    The black and whites are very nice, lots of contrast I like that. I also
    like that you shoot from odd angles, it makes ordinary subjects look much
    more interesting. In the Macro section the dandilion seed puff shots you
    could have pulled more detail out of the highlight areas either by shooting
    RAW if your camera supports it or by making a copy of the image to a new
    layer in something like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photoshop Elements and then
    changing the blending mode to Multiply. It still gives the sun effect but
    provides more detail to the seed puff.

    In the animals section I like the lizard shot from the tail to the front.
    Very interesting and not an angle that I have seen used before.

    I would also suggest that you put a copyright notice on the bottom of all of
    your shots. You want to protect you hard work.

    =(8)
    =\(8\), Apr 9, 2007
  4. =\(8\) Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
    > pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.
    >
    > http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

    What camera do you have? What photo editing software are you using? And, yes
    the site is very nicely done.

    =(8)
    =\(8\), Apr 9, 2007
  5. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
    > pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.
    >
    > http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

    I enjoyed browsing your site...including your funky videos and images. Very
    creative and fun.
    :)
    -Mark²
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Apr 9, 2007
  6. Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > I love it! The site is set up nice, and it looks like you're having a good
    > time with the hobby. Keep shooting, keep experimenting, and don't forget to
    > do one of the most important things: organize and file your images. I have a
    > ton of photos from high school and I always wished I'd cataloged them a lot
    > better. (class of 1972...)

    Same year as me. But in my case, what I wish is that I didn't have
    these *gaps* in my good cataloging. In 1972 the cataloging was about at
    its peak. It lasted until maybe 1984, but then got quite bad until I
    went to digital in 2000.

    > BTW, you have no idea how valuable these pictures will become to you and
    > others as time passes. Make sure you store them and protect them. Include
    > the names of the subjects, as well. Trust me, you'll forget more of the
    > names than you could ever realize.

    And take pictures of dull every-day things that you work with a lot. In
    my particular case I only have a very few pictures of the computers I
    was learning to program then, and I wish I had more. And I have *no*
    pictures of the cameras I used or the darkrooms I worked in, and I wish
    I did. And few contemporary pictures of the buildings I saw frequently
    and found kinda interesting, or worked in, or lived in (most of them are
    still around, but pictures from back then would be better).

    This, incidentally, is great advice for any snapshooters, not just
    serious photographers.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 11, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
    > pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.
    >
    > http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

    You're a lot better than *I* was when *I* was 16 (and that was about a
    year after I started getting serious about photography, so it kinda even
    means something, at least to me).

    I like basically *all* the images; except IMG_6633 (and, by the way,
    it's hard to get your site to give me any identifying name for any of
    the images, I had to dig down a bit to get that above), where the light
    emphasizes the contours on the shirt in uninteresting ways, and I don't
    like the face being so hidden (if other parts of the photo were supposed
    to attract and hold my attention, they didn't do it).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 11, 2007