Never met a heron I didn't like

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 22, 2006.

  1. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 22, 2006

  2. Matt Silberstein, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Guest

    They are not very tasty, though . . .

    , Jan 23, 2006
  4. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Annika1980 Guest

    >A heron bit my sister once.

    Well I think we've all done that.

    Annika1980, Jan 23, 2006
  5. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:20:17 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Matt
    Silberstein <> wrote:

    >A heron bit my sister once.

    Just an overbite? Seriously, I've never been able to get anywhere near
    close enough to one to even contemplate such a thing.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 23, 2006
  6. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:23:29 -0500, in rec.photo.digital , "Ed Ruf
    (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:20:17 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Matt
    >Silberstein <> wrote:
    >
    >>A heron bit my sister once.

    >Just an overbite? Seriously, I've never been able to get anywhere near
    >close enough to one to even contemplate such a thing.

    Sigh.

    http://www.smouse.force9.co.uk/monty.htm

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    http://www.beawitness.org
    http://www.darfurgenocide.org
    http://www.savedarfur.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

    Matt Silberstein, Jan 23, 2006
  7. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    RustY© Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > They are not very tasty, though . . .

    It depends if you like the background taste of fish with your bird.....

    RustY©, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Bigguy Guest

    They were eaten in medieval times - never tried it myself, but I did work
    with a guy who once ate a road killed owl...

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jan 23, 2006
  9. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    corks Guest

    wow i like this one

    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photo...4099acr_ni_musm_cr1600x1200_bcsrp800x600.html

    i take it thats a bald eagle - never seen one before "in the wild"
    --

    http://photobucket.com/albums/b216/corks67/my-bikes/

    corks, Jan 23, 2006
  10. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:09:46 +0800, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "corks" <> wrote:

    >wow i like this one
    >

    >http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photo...4099acr_ni_musm_cr1600x1200_bcsrp800x600.html
    >
    >i take it thats a bald eagle - never seen one before "in the wild"

    Yes, on the shore of the James River across from Hog Point and a bit
    downstream from Jamestown at the crack of dawn.
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.22278&lon=-76.69389

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 23, 2006
  11. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:20:17 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Matt
    >Silberstein <> wrote:

    >>A heron bit my sister once.

    >Just an overbite? Seriously, I've never been able to get anywhere near
    >close enough to one to even contemplate such a thing.

    I had a GBH fluy up into my face out of nowhere once when I was taking a
    fish off a hook. I don't think it noticed I was there until it was
    right in front of me; it just saw the fish. If I didn't react, and
    quickly shoo it away, it may have bit me with the fish.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 23, 2006
  12. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Guest

    In message
    <43d49d4b$0$3577$>,
    "corks" <> wrote:

    >wow i like this one

    >http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photo...4099acr_ni_musm_cr1600x1200_bcsrp800x600.html

    I'm still waiting to get that close. All my Bald Eagle shots are from
    at least 1000 feet away. Saturday, I went to a local spot where they
    tend to hang out, and when I arrived, it was a lot darker, colder, and
    windier than I expected, so I wasn't sure if I was going to stay, so I
    left all my gear in my backpack. I saw a Bald Eagle silouetted in a
    tree between me and the brighter part of the sky, and took some scenery
    shots (the horizon towards NYC over the Hudson River was orange, while
    the rest of the sky was dark grey) with a wide len. I looked up at the
    tree again, and the Eagle was gone. I looked around, and realized it
    was only about 150 feet from me coming up from the water with what
    appeared to be a fish (a herring? That's the only fish I can think of
    that would be schooling at the surface in January), and I looked down on
    my 10mm lens and sighed. By the time I changed to my telephoto, the
    Eagle was a silouette in the trees again.

    One of these days, they'll fly or perch closer to me, I hope. They are
    unapproachable at this location; they fly off if anyone comes within
    several hundred feet of them.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 23, 2006
  13. > I looked down on
    > my 10mm lens and sighed. By the time I changed to my telephoto, the
    > Eagle was a silouette in the trees again.
    >
    > One of these days, they'll fly or perch closer to me, I hope. They are
    > unapproachable at this location; they fly off if anyone comes within
    > several hundred feet of them.

    > John P Sheehy <>
    > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    Time to buy that 24-200 lens (or even a 17-35) or have two backs.

    R. Mark Clayton, Jan 23, 2006
  14. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Guest

    In message <dr36rr$76o$-infra.bt.com>,
    "R. Mark Clayton" <> wrote:

    >> I looked down on
    >> my 10mm lens and sighed. By the time I changed to my telephoto, the
    >> Eagle was a silouette in the trees again.

    >> One of these days, they'll fly or perch closer to me, I hope. They are
    >> unapproachable at this location; they fly off if anyone comes within
    >> several hundred feet of them.

    >Time to buy that 24-200 lens (or even a 17-35) or have two backs.

    The long end of a 24-200 is too short and probably too soft for good
    bird pictures.

    My default for bird pictures is 400mm with a 1.4x converter, for 560mm.
    Normally, I would have set that up at my car before walking over to the
    water. I have taken two DSLRs, too, but if I wear them both they bang
    against each other, and if I leave one in the bag it takes almost as
    long to get it as it does to take change lenses.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 23, 2006
  15. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:13:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    wrote:

    >In message
    ><43d49d4b$0$3577$>,
    >"corks" <> wrote:
    >
    >>wow i like this one

    >>http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photo...4099acr_ni_musm_cr1600x1200_bcsrp800x600.html

    >I'm still waiting to get that close. All my Bald Eagle shots are from
    >at least 1000 feet away. Saturday, I went to a local spot where they
    >tend to hang out, and when I arrived, it was a lot darker, colder, and
    >windier than I expected, so I wasn't sure if I was going to stay, so I
    >left all my gear in my backpack. I saw a Bald Eagle silouetted in a
    >tree between me and the brighter part of the sky, and took some scenery
    >shots (the horizon towards NYC over the Hudson River was orange, while
    >the rest of the sky was dark grey) with a wide len. I looked up at the
    >tree again, and the Eagle was gone. I looked around, and realized it
    >was only about 150 feet from me coming up from the water with what
    >appeared to be a fish (a herring? That's the only fish I can think of
    >that would be schooling at the surface in January), and I looked down on
    >my 10mm lens and sighed. By the time I changed to my telephoto, the
    >Eagle was a silouette in the trees again.
    >
    >One of these days, they'll fly or perch closer to me, I hope. They are
    >unapproachable at this location; they fly off if anyone comes within
    >several hundred feet of them.

    This was one of those unique opportunities. Crack of dawn, maybe 400 yards
    from the parking lot, walking along the shore of the river at low tide with
    a dog along as well. Looked up and there it was. Shot with 70-200mm f/2.8
    VR and 2x TC at ISO 1600.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 24, 2006
  16. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Sionnach Guest

    Sionnach, Jan 24, 2006
  17. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:29:03 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Sionnach"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/wildlife/slides/DSC_7663_cr_800.html

    > Nice shot! Black Crested Night Heron?

    No, this is a Great Blue Heron, though I do have two shots of a Crested
    Night Heron in the gallery though.
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/wildlife/slides/DSC_3820_cr_600x800_usm.html
    and
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/wildlife/slides/DSC_3824_cr_600x800_usm.html

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 24, 2006
  18. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    cimawr Guest

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

    > No, this is a Great Blue Heron,

    Yeah, I realized that *after* I posted, and looked at the picture
    more closely; I'd only taken a quick glance, and didn't catch that the
    neck was folded... Duh. ;-D

    >though I do have two shots of a Crested
    > Night Heron in the gallery though.

    Also very nice! We see Great Blue, Blue, Green, Crested Night (and
    the other similar species whose name is escaping me at the moment), as
    well as the occasional Egret, at the park where I run my dogs.... one
    of these days I'm going to have to pack the long lens along and see if
    I can get some decent shots of them.
    Unfortunately, the year we had Baltimore Orioles nesting in the
    middle of the park, I didn't yet own a long lens.

    cimawr, Jan 24, 2006
  19. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Jake Gittes Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:59:14 -0500, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
    SIG!)" <> wrote:

    >Yes, on the shore of the James River across from Hog Point and a bit
    >downstream from Jamestown at the crack of dawn.
    >http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.22278&lon=-76.69389

    I wonder, were you on park land or in Kingsmill? Friend of mine has a
    condo out there and gets to see bald eagles in the trees just outside
    the window.

    Saw something very curious in Kiln Creek yesterday. 17 Snowy Egrets in
    one view in the lake along Victory Blvd. Also some herons.

    For those not from the area this is basically a water retention pond
    in a large housing development fronting a 6 lane highway.

    Jake Gittes, Jan 25, 2006
  20. On 24 Jan 2006 19:16:01 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Jake Gittes
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:59:14 -0500, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
    >SIG!)" <> wrote:
    >>Yes, on the shore of the James River across from Hog Point and a bit
    >>downstream from Jamestown at the crack of dawn.
    >>http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.22278&lon=-76.69389

    >I wonder, were you on park land or in Kingsmill? Friend of mine has a
    >condo out there and gets to see bald eagles in the trees just outside
    >the window.

    NPS land just west of College Creek which is marked on the topozone map.
    This on the Colonial Parkway headed to Jamestown a couple of miles past the
    Rte 199 intersection.

    >Saw something very curious in Kiln Creek yesterday. 17 Snowy Egrets in
    >one view in the lake along Victory Blvd. Also some herons.

    Cool.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 25, 2006