Never heard of this problem before.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JTJersey, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    I moved the hardware in an up and running WinXP system from a midtower
    case to a new micro-ATX case at the request of a family member. (Had to
    do with space limitations in a new apartment.) Made the transfer, hit the
    power button and the ECS mainboard with its AMI BIOS gave me 3 Long Beeps
    and the monitor remained black. All the fans ran and LED's were lit and
    the hard drive was running. So I temporarily wired it all back into the
    original case and it booted fine. Went to the new case and insulated the
    mounting posts, put fiber washers on the mounting screws and tried to
    power up again, but still got nothing but the 3 long beeps and a blank
    monitor. Not sure whay I did this, but I removed all but two of the
    mainboard mounting screws pushed the power button and everything booted
    normally! Shut down and replaced the rest of the screws one at a time and
    sure enough, the system failed to boot after screwing in the middle screw
    near the memory slots. Replaced the screw with a nylon thumb screw to see
    if the metal mounting screw was shorting on something, but the system
    would not boot with that either. If I leave that screw out everything
    works fine. I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the mainboard
    circuity possibly flexing under pressure from the screw causing a
    disconnect somewhere? Never encountered this issue before, especially
    considering that this is the fourth system I've built using this micro
    case.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jun 23, 2006

  2. JTJersey

    Toby Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >I moved the hardware in an up and running WinXP system from a midtower
    > case to a new micro-ATX case at the request of a family member. (Had to
    > do with space limitations in a new apartment.) Made the transfer, hit the
    > power button and the ECS mainboard with its AMI BIOS gave me 3 Long Beeps
    > and the monitor remained black. All the fans ran and LED's were lit and
    > the hard drive was running. So I temporarily wired it all back into the
    > original case and it booted fine. Went to the new case and insulated the
    > mounting posts, put fiber washers on the mounting screws and tried to
    > power up again, but still got nothing but the 3 long beeps and a blank
    > monitor. Not sure whay I did this, but I removed all but two of the
    > mainboard mounting screws pushed the power button and everything booted
    > normally! Shut down and replaced the rest of the screws one at a time and
    > sure enough, the system failed to boot after screwing in the middle screw
    > near the memory slots. Replaced the screw with a nylon thumb screw to see
    > if the metal mounting screw was shorting on something, but the system
    > would not boot with that either. If I leave that screw out everything
    > works fine. I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the mainboard
    > circuity possibly flexing under pressure from the screw causing a
    > disconnect somewhere? Never encountered this issue before, especially
    > considering that this is the fourth system I've built using this micro
    > case.

    It sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere - putting the middle screw in
    flexes the board just enough to cause that one joint to separate. You could
    just leave that screw out and it will probably be as fine as it was in the
    other case, but it is certainly a bit dicey...

    Toby

    Toby, Jun 24, 2006

  3. JTJersey

    dogbreath Guest

    On 23 Jun 2006 19:42:10 -0500, "Toby" <> wrote:

    >"JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >>I moved the hardware in an up and running WinXP system from a midtower
    >> case to a new micro-ATX case at the request of a family member. (Had to
    >> do with space limitations in a new apartment.) Made the transfer, hit the
    >> power button and the ECS mainboard with its AMI BIOS gave me 3 Long Beeps
    >> and the monitor remained black. All the fans ran and LED's were lit and
    >> the hard drive was running. So I temporarily wired it all back into the
    >> original case and it booted fine. Went to the new case and insulated the
    >> mounting posts, put fiber washers on the mounting screws and tried to
    >> power up again, but still got nothing but the 3 long beeps and a blank
    >> monitor. Not sure whay I did this, but I removed all but two of the
    >> mainboard mounting screws pushed the power button and everything booted
    >> normally! Shut down and replaced the rest of the screws one at a time and
    >> sure enough, the system failed to boot after screwing in the middle screw
    >> near the memory slots. Replaced the screw with a nylon thumb screw to see
    >> if the metal mounting screw was shorting on something, but the system
    >> would not boot with that either. If I leave that screw out everything
    >> works fine. I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the mainboard
    >> circuity possibly flexing under pressure from the screw causing a
    >> disconnect somewhere? Never encountered this issue before, especially
    >> considering that this is the fourth system I've built using this micro
    >> case.

    >It sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere - putting the middle screw in
    >flexes the board just enough to cause that one joint to separate. You could
    >just leave that screw out and it will probably be as fine as it was in the
    >other case, but it is certainly a bit dicey...
    >
    >Toby

    I had a similar problem once that turned out to be the video card
    wasn't fully seated in its socket.

    dogbreath, Jun 24, 2006
  4. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:01:33 -0700, dogbreath wrote:

    > On 23 Jun 2006 19:42:10 -0500, "Toby" <> wrote:

    >>It sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere - putting the middle screw in
    >>flexes the board just enough to cause that one joint to separate. You could
    >>just leave that screw out and it will probably be as fine as it was in the
    >>other case, but it is certainly a bit dicey...
    >>
    >>Toby
    >>

    > I had a similar problem once that turned out to be the video card
    > wasn't fully seated in its socket.

    Thought about that, but it had the same issue using the onboard video.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jun 24, 2006
  5. JTJersey

    Michael-NC Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:01:33 -0700, dogbreath wrote:
    >
    >> On 23 Jun 2006 19:42:10 -0500, "Toby" <> wrote:

    >>>It sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere - putting the middle screw in
    >>>flexes the board just enough to cause that one joint to separate. You
    >>>could
    >>>just leave that screw out and it will probably be as fine as it was in
    >>>the
    >>>other case, but it is certainly a bit dicey...
    >>>
    >>>Toby
    >>>

    >> I had a similar problem once that turned out to be the video card
    >> wasn't fully seated in its socket.

    > Thought about that, but it had the same issue using the onboard video.

    Maybe that new case is warped and bending the board. Causing the cold crack?
    Still sucks though, I would never trust that MB.

    Michael-NC, Jun 25, 2006
  6. JTJersey

    Bob Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > I moved the hardware in an up and running WinXP system from a midtower
    > case to a new micro-ATX case at the request of a family member. (Had to
    > do with space limitations in a new apartment.) Made the transfer, hit the
    > power button and the ECS mainboard with its AMI BIOS gave me 3 Long Beeps
    > and the monitor remained black. All the fans ran and LED's were lit and
    > the hard drive was running. So I temporarily wired it all back into the
    > original case and it booted fine. Went to the new case and insulated the
    > mounting posts, put fiber washers on the mounting screws and tried to
    > power up again, but still got nothing but the 3 long beeps and a blank
    > monitor. Not sure whay I did this, but I removed all but two of the
    > mainboard mounting screws pushed the power button and everything booted
    > normally! Shut down and replaced the rest of the screws one at a time and
    > sure enough, the system failed to boot after screwing in the middle screw
    > near the memory slots. Replaced the screw with a nylon thumb screw to see
    > if the metal mounting screw was shorting on something, but the system
    > would not boot with that either. If I leave that screw out everything
    > works fine. I'm thinking maybe there's an issue with the mainboard
    > circuity possibly flexing under pressure from the screw causing a
    > disconnect somewhere? Never encountered this issue before, especially
    > considering that this is the fourth system I've built using this micro
    > case.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    One of the first checks the POST does is check the processor and
    memory. Failure in either one will give the symptoms you describe. Are
    the memory cards compatable with the new MB?

    Bob, Jun 25, 2006
  7. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:50:20 -0700, Bob wrote:

    > One of the first checks the POST does is check the processor and
    > memory. Failure in either one will give the symptoms you describe. Are
    > the memory cards compatable with the new MB?

    It's not a new board. All of the hardware was up and running for a few
    years in a mid tower case. Simply transfered everything to a new micro
    ATX case.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jun 26, 2006
  8. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:27:03 +0000, Michael-NC wrote:

    > Maybe that new case is warped and bending the board. Causing the cold
    > crack? Still sucks though, I would never trust that MB.

    The system quit working while typing an email today. Locked up then
    wouldn't reboot. Exhibited the same symptoms as my original post. Just
    wierd that it would work in that old mid tower and give me grief in a new
    desktop case. It's not like I haven't used this particular case before
    and while it's not a high dollar case it still runs $70 with the power
    supply. It's very nicely designed for a microATX box, that's why I use
    them. I'm replacing the board this weekend. If a new board gives me
    trouble I'm going to be really perplexed.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jun 26, 2006
  9. JTJersey

    Michael-NC Guest

    Same PS in both cases? Grounding out somehow? Verify the standoffs?

    Michael-NC, Jun 26, 2006