    Gilmour Guest

    mine is 2 years old and wont play DVD-R !!

    HA HA AHA AH AHAHA AHAHAH AHA HA HA AH !!!!!!!!!!
    Gilmour, Jan 4, 2004

  2. >mine is 2 years old and wont play DVD-R !!

    >HA HA AHA AH AHAHA AHAHAH AHA HA HA AH !!!!!!!!!!

    Well, it's still good advice. Thomson is apparently incapable of building
    consistently decent equipment. In the United States, Thomson distributes its
    products using the RCA and GE names. They own RCA, but they have an agreement
    with GE. While a GE jet engine or a GE clothes washer will definitely be made
    by GE themselves, a GE TV set, as an example, will have been manufactured by
    Thomson. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 5, 2004

  3. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>mine is 2 years old and wont play DVD-R !!
    >>
    >>HA HA AHA AH AHAHA AHAHAH AHA HA HA AH !!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > Well, it's still good advice. Thomson is apparently incapable of building
    > consistently decent equipment. In the United States, Thomson distributes its
    > products using the RCA and GE names. They own RCA, but they have an agreement
    > with GE. While a GE jet engine or a GE clothes washer will definitely be made
    > by GE themselves, a GE TV set, as an example, will have been manufactured by
    > Thomson. - Reinhart

    Microsoft's XBox also uses this drive (not all models do, but about 1/3
    of the launch ones did). Likewise, there are tons of complaints with it
    across the net, a quick search through microsoft.public.xbox will
    demonstrate this.

    Adios,
    ~Nick
    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Gilmour

    kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:45:02 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <>
    wrote:

    >LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>>mine is 2 years old and wont play DVD-R !!
    >>>
    >>>HA HA AHA AH AHAHA AHAHAH AHA HA HA AH !!!!!!!!!!
    >>>

    >> Well, it's still good advice. Thomson is apparently incapable of building
    >> consistently decent equipment. In the United States, Thomson distributes its
    >> products using the RCA and GE names. They own RCA, but they have an agreement
    >> with GE. While a GE jet engine or a GE clothes washer will definitely be made
    >> by GE themselves, a GE TV set, as an example, will have been manufactured by
    >> Thomson. - Reinhart

    >Microsoft's XBox also uses this drive (not all models do, but about 1/3
    >of the launch ones did). Likewise, there are tons of complaints with it
    >across the net, a quick search through microsoft.public.xbox will
    >demonstrate this.

    **Sadly, I have one of those Xboxes. It has the noisiest hard drive
    ever. I don't know anyone else who has one so I had nothing to compare
    it to. The last few months, it's just gone downhill and I'm only a
    casual player. There's a ton of freezing, dirty disc messages, etc.,
    among other things. I'm not sure if I should turn it in for some money
    while it's kinda working, throw it away, and/or get a new one. Then
    there's trying to get an Xbox with the good hardware in it.

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Gilmour

    Richard Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >mine is 2 years old and wont play DVD-R !!
    > >
    > >HA HA AHA AH AHAHA AHAHAH AHA HA HA AH !!!!!!!!!!
    > >

    > Well, it's still good advice. Thomson is apparently incapable of building
    > consistently decent equipment. In the United States, Thomson distributes its
    > products using the RCA and GE names. They own RCA, but they have an agreement
    > with GE. While a GE jet engine or a GE clothes washer will definitely be made
    > by GE themselves, a GE TV set, as an example, will have been manufactured by
    > Thomson. - Reinhart

    $100 Thomson or RCA DVD player = $50 generic Chinese player.
    -Rich
    Richard, Jan 6, 2004
  6. >Microsoft's XBox also uses this drive (not all models do, but about 1/3
    >of the launch ones did).

    Fortunately, my X-Box uses the Samsung drive. And, my PS-2 is also still
    reading discs like it was new. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 7, 2004
  7. >$100 Thomson or RCA DVD player = $50 generic Chinese player.
    >-Rich

    That pretty much sums it up. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 7, 2004
  8. >I'm not sure if I should turn it in for some money
    >while it's kinda working, throw it away, and/or get a new one. Then
    >there's trying to get an Xbox with the good hardware in it.

    Sell it to a pawnshop to get as much out of it as you can or do a Google search
    for a supplier that sells Samsung drives for X-Boxes.

    When shopping for a new X-Box, make sure it's the one that's made in China as
    opposed to the ones made in Mexico and Hungary. That will make it more likely
    for you to get one with the Samsung drive and the more modern Seagate drive.

    If you are looking for a used X-Box, check the disc drawer of a potential unit.
    If there are two holes on the drawer itself, adjacent to the cutout to
    accomodate the upper part of the drive traverse, then that's a Samsung.

    http://www.gueux.net/tutos/lecteurs.php/

    Although this hyperlink leads to a website that is not in English, it does have
    pictures which show how to identify what drive is in an X-Box purely by seeing
    what the drawer looks like.

    Or, if anything, you can go with PlayStation 2. Hope this helps. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Gilmour

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

    > Or, if anything, you can go with PlayStation 2. Hope this helps. - Reinhart

    Or better yet he can get himself a Gamecube and save himself a hundred
    bucks since he likely doesn't need shit like DVD playback in a video
    game console.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Gilmour

    Justin Guest

    Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:26:07 -0600]:
    > In article <>,
    > (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:
    >
    >> Or, if anything, you can go with PlayStation 2. Hope this helps. - Reinhart

    > Or better yet he can get himself a Gamecube and save himself a hundred
    > bucks since he likely doesn't need shit like DVD playback in a video
    > game console.

    Or games.....
    Justin, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Gilmour

    kaboom Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:26:07 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:
    >
    >> Or, if anything, you can go with PlayStation 2. Hope this helps. - Reinhart

    >Or better yet he can get himself a Gamecube and save himself a hundred
    >bucks since he likely doesn't need shit like DVD playback in a video
    >game console.

    **It's she. And I do have a GameCube also. :) Just finished playing
    Medal of Honor: Frontline on the GC, it was great. Aren't some games
    for the Xbox (and possibly the PS2) on DVD disks?

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Gilmour

    kaboom Guest

    On 07 Jan 2004 04:13:26 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >>I'm not sure if I should turn it in for some money
    >>while it's kinda working, throw it away, and/or get a new one. Then
    >>there's trying to get an Xbox with the good hardware in it.

    >Sell it to a pawnshop to get as much out of it as you can or do a Google search
    >for a supplier that sells Samsung drives for X-Boxes.

    **Aren't the hard drives password locked? (or something like that) I
    thought I had read that you just can't switch drives.

    >When shopping for a new X-Box, make sure it's the one that's made in China as
    >opposed to the ones made in Mexico and Hungary. That will make it more likely
    >for you to get one with the Samsung drive and the more modern Seagate drive.

    **Would it say on the outside of the box where it was produced? Or
    maybe that area where you can see the sticker that's actually on the
    unit?

    >If you are looking for a used X-Box, check the disc drawer of a potential unit.
    > If there are two holes on the drawer itself, adjacent to the cutout to
    >accomodate the upper part of the drive traverse, then that's a Samsung.
    >
    >http://www.gueux.net/tutos/lecteurs.php/
    >
    >Although this hyperlink leads to a website that is not in English, it does have
    >pictures which show how to identify what drive is in an X-Box purely by seeing
    >what the drawer looks like.
    >
    >Or, if anything, you can go with PlayStation 2. Hope this helps. - Reinhart

    **It sure does help, thanks Reinhart. I would probably go with new and
    not used, though.

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Jan 7, 2004
  13. Gilmour

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <2go.com>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    > Or games.....

    Funny, but not accurate. In reality there are more than enough games on
    the GC to please all but the most die hard of gamers, including many
    great exclusives that you'll never be able to play on the other systems.

    http://tinyurl.com/yu6vc
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Gilmour

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    kaboom <> wrote:

    > **It's she.

    My mistake. I apologize.

    > And I do have a GameCube also. :) Just finished playing
    > Medal of Honor: Frontline on the GC, it was great. Aren't some games
    > for the Xbox (and possibly the PS2) on DVD disks?

    Actually, they all are. All three systems use DVD-ROM discs, even the
    Gamecube, albeit smaller ones. This is why you no longer see those 3 and
    4 disc sets that were all too frequent on the PSX.

    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Gilmour

    Justin Guest

    Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:46:09 -0600]:
    > In article <2go.com>,
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or games.....

    > Funny, but not accurate. In reality there are more than enough games on
    > the GC to please all but the most die hard of gamers, including many
    > great exclusives that you'll never be able to play on the other systems.

    True enough, but the PS2 has it beat hands down

    And the PC has the games I tend to play anyway
    Justin, Jan 8, 2004
  16. >**It's she. And I do have a GameCube also. :) Just finished playing
    >Medal of Honor: Frontline on the GC, it was great. Aren't some games
    >for the Xbox (and possibly the PS2) on DVD disks?

    As far as I know, the X-Box uses DVDs exclusively.

    The GameCube uses a proprietary format that is based on DVD but is written in a
    non-standard way. (backwards spiral, possibly with the TOC in proximity of the
    outer edges of the disc)

    The PS-2 is known to use game discs that are published on DVD and CD discs.
    DVD PS-2 games look like regular DVDs although you may see the PlayStation logo
    on the irridescent side. The CD-ROM discs are blue-bottom to distinguish it
    from black-bottom PS One software. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 8, 2004
  17. >**Aren't the hard drives password locked? (or something like that) I
    >thought I had read that you just can't switch drives.

    Samsung does not make hard drives for the X-Box; they supply the DVD-ROM
    drives.

    Seagate and Western Digital supplies hard disks for the X-Box. The file system
    and formatting may be different than what's found on a home PC, although the
    drives are IDE/UDMA compliant and can be recognized by a modern computer system
    on POST; it's just that the operating system might not recognize the
    partitioning and formatting of an X-Box drive.

    There are utilities, however, that will allow you to partition and format a
    larger hard disk for use with an X-Box, especially useful if you intend to mod
    your box which will allow you to run emulated games and copy entire X-Box games
    onto your hard disk. You just have to remember that the new hard disk must be
    set for CABLE SELECT after formatting using the PC and before installing the
    drive into the X-Box.

    Switching DVD-ROM drives won't be a problem, as long as you can get the ones
    designed to work with the X-Box. While the DVD-ROM drives work with a regular
    IDE/UDMA connection, like your home computer, it uses a proprietary connection
    adjacent to the IDE connector which feeds the drive its power and command
    signals (open/close).

    You can use a regular DVD-ROM drive, but you can only eject discs by pressing
    the eject key on the drive itself and not by pressing the key on the X-Box.
    The drives made for the X-Box can be ordered from M$, if they will sell you
    one, or you can buy them from independent sellers on eBay or at a website that
    specializes in X-Box parts.

    >**Would it say on the outside of the box where it was produced? Or
    >maybe that area where you can see the sticker that's actually on the
    >unit?

    The retail box has manufacturing information of the console printed on it,
    usually in fine print at corners of the box. You just have to look for it.

    >**It sure does help, thanks Reinhart. I would probably go with new and
    >not used, though.

    Well, good luck! Remember, don't buy if the packaging indicates that the X-Box
    is not made in China. Again, it's not a guarantee, but it's more likely that
    you will get an X-Box with a Samsung drive this way. - Reinhrat
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 8, 2004
  18. >Or better yet he can get himself a Gamecube and save himself a hundred
    >bucks since he likely doesn't need shit like DVD playback in a video
    >game console.
    >--

    The PS-2 has a good selection of excellent games, which makes its purchase more
    than worthwhile. IMO, all three have excellent games which makes having all
    three a fantastic thing, if you can afford it. You don't buy a games system to
    play DVDs, you buy it to play games.
    I own all three and my favorite is the PS-2 simply because of the sheer number
    of quality titles it has. It has a lot of crappy games, but it's got a lot of
    great games at the same time, many exclusive to the PS-2 only. The same thing
    applies to the X-Box and GameCube: a good number of worthwhile games with many
    exclusive to their respective hardware only. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 8, 2004
  19. Gilmour

    Richard Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >**Aren't the hard drives password locked? (or something like that) I
    > >thought I had read that you just can't switch drives.

    > Samsung does not make hard drives for the X-Box; they supply the DVD-ROM
    > drives.
    >
    > Seagate and Western Digital supplies hard disks for the X-Box. The file system
    > and formatting may be different than what's found on a home PC, although the
    > drives are IDE/UDMA compliant and can be recognized by a modern computer system
    > on POST; it's just that the operating system might not recognize the
    > partitioning and formatting of an X-Box drive.
    >
    > There are utilities, however, that will allow you to partition and format a
    > larger hard disk for use with an X-Box, especially useful if you intend to mod
    > your box which will allow you to run emulated games and copy entire X-Box games
    > onto your hard disk. You just have to remember that the new hard disk must be
    > set for CABLE SELECT after formatting using the PC and before installing the
    > drive into the X-Box.
    >
    > Switching DVD-ROM drives won't be a problem, as long as you can get the ones
    > designed to work with the X-Box. While the DVD-ROM drives work with a regular
    > IDE/UDMA connection, like your home computer, it uses a proprietary connection
    > adjacent to the IDE connector which feeds the drive its power and command
    > signals (open/close).
    >
    > You can use a regular DVD-ROM drive, but you can only eject discs by pressing
    > the eject key on the drive itself and not by pressing the key on the X-Box.
    > The drives made for the X-Box can be ordered from M$, if they will sell you
    > one, or you can buy them from independent sellers on eBay or at a website that
    > specializes in X-Box parts.
    >
    > >**Would it say on the outside of the box where it was produced? Or
    > >maybe that area where you can see the sticker that's actually on the
    > >unit?
    > >

    > The retail box has manufacturing information of the console printed on it,
    > usually in fine print at corners of the box. You just have to look for it.
    >
    > >**It sure does help, thanks Reinhart. I would probably go with new and
    > >not used, though.

    > Well, good luck! Remember, don't buy if the packaging indicates that the X-Box
    > is not made in China. Again, it's not a guarantee, but it's more likely that
    > you will get an X-Box with a Samsung drive this way. - Reinhrat

    X-Box uses a crummy Intel 733mhz processor. Has anyone tried to "hotrod"
    one by adding a faster processor?
    -Rich
    Richard, Jan 8, 2004
  20. >X-Box uses a crummy Intel 733mhz processor. Has anyone tried to "hotrod"
    >one by adding a faster processor?
    >-Rich

    Why they call it a Pentium III, I have no clue. It's more like a Celeron. In
    fact, IBM did a comparison of the Intel processor in the X-Box with their Gekko
    processor in the GameCube and found that the GC CPU beats the X-Box CPU, like a
    typical comparison between a powerful Intel CPU versus a comparable PowerPC
    CPU. (Lower clock speed, but overall more powerful because PowerPC usually
    moves more FLOPS than "Intel Inside" despite the clock speed advantage an Intel
    CPU may have.)

    But, the processing muscle, especially for graphics, on the X-Box doesn't come
    from the CPU; it comes from the nVidia graphics engine. The FLOPS rating of
    the nVidia set alone is several times more than the Gekko/ATi combo in the
    Gamecube and the EmotionEngine in the PS-2, at least on paper. That's what
    IBM's comparison never bothered to factor, which was the power of the X-Box
    when you factored both systems in comparison as a whole as opposed to
    concentrating on one element of those systems only.

    Anyways, to answer your question, I don't think it would be feasible to change
    the CPU in the X-Box. The CPU may be wave soldered in place, which means doing
    a successful removal and installation job of the CPUs may not be possible.
    But, more importantly, the system bus may not be able to accomodate a different
    processor in terms of its multiplier and clock settings, and that's not even
    factoring core and I/O voltages along with thermal dissipation requirements
    (which is borderline inadequate as it is to begin with), as the X-Box was
    designed to run with only one kind of CPU from the get-go. The adjustments
    that would have to be changed to accomodate a different CPU are likely to be
    fixed and permanent, and cannot be altered.

    Plus, if you use a CPU with a faster bus speed and are able to get the bus to
    run with it, what about the RAM? If you go with a faster bus, you have to go
    with memory that can work with the faster bus. The memory chips themselves are
    soldered directly on the mainboard, so it's not like you can upgrade the RAM
    like you could with a conventional PC.

    Plus, there's always a risk when you overclock something that can cause the
    system to be unstable or, perhaps, even burn itself out. (This is assuming you
    want to overclock to start with.)

    A lot of parts in the box are industry standard, but you can only go so far in
    taking advantage of that. For the X-Box, about the only things you can change
    with off-the-shelf items are the drives and the IDE cable. You can add a
    modchip, but that's an addition, as opposed to a substitution. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 8, 2004