    offer ideas on free servers?
    Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
    Thanks

    Lookout, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Lookout

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > Does NetZero allow newsgroup access?

    What NetZero allows depends on what flavor of netzero you buy^1.

    > Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.

    Asking questions for someone else doesn't work well because you don't
    know the answers to the questions like 'What kind of netzero account
    does the index case have?' It also makes a difference what is the
    operating system; why should we assume windows?

    In addition, just getting into newsgroups and wanting to mess with
    binaries requires significantly more 'skills' and tools^2 than does your
    posting a question and reading an answer in 24hshd.

    So the free netzero user will have to start out using a browser on
    googlegroups or such until they can advance their connectivity far
    enough to have normal access and connectivity rather than just netzero's
    front end. Then after adequate connectivity, they need to learn how to
    acquire a newsserver, free, nearly free, or lowpriced commercial NSP.
    Then next they would need to learn about various newsservers for their
    OS and how to handle yEncoding, unRar/ing, and par files.

    So, the user who needs the answers needs to be the one asking the
    questions here or somewhere.

    ^1 http://www.netzero.net/support/email/index.html Important note for
    Free NetZero members: To take advantage of offline email clients such as
    Microsoft Outlook, you must upgrade to a Platinum or HiSpeed 3G account.

    ^2 http://www.slyck.com/ng.php Slyck's Guide to The Newsgroups -
    Contents -
    1. Intro
    2. News Servers
    3. Newsreaders
    4. Newsgroups
    5. RAR files
    6. PAR & PAR2 files
    7. Identifying a Post
    8. Posting
    9. NZB Files
    10. Tips
    11. Guide Updates

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 20, 2006

  3. Lookout

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Then next they would need to learn about various
    > newsservers for their OS

    s/newsservers/newsagents/

    They would need to learn about their newsagent options, because the
    typical default OE has some significant limitations.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Lookout

    Tester Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:51:51 -0600, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    >Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
    >available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
    >offer ideas on free servers?
    >Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
    >Thanks

    AFAIK Netzero does not provide Ussenet. It appears that Peoplepc.com
    which is also a $10/month ISP may provide access to Earthlink's
    servers carry mp3's although they are not as good as a premium
    service.

    tracert news.peoplepc.com Tracing route to news.east.earthlink.net
    [207.217.125.201]

    For a one time fee of $3.95 and no monthly fee you can get 50 meg/day
    access to Teranews.com. Ir's not too hard to download more than 50
    megs/day if you are in to MP3's but on dial-up it's pretty difficult.

    Of course, you can also get MP3's from peer-to-peer such as Emule and
    Torrents.

    Tester, Dec 20, 2006
  5. Tester wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:51:51 -0600, Lookout <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
    >>available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
    >>offer ideas on free servers?
    >>Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
    >>Thanks

    > AFAIK Netzero does not provide Ussenet. It appears that Peoplepc.com
    > which is also a $10/month ISP may provide access to Earthlink's
    > servers carry mp3's although they are not as good as a premium
    > service.

    And Earthlink's servers just quit working for a week and a half, and
    when they came back up nothing from December 8 to about December 17th
    appeared on them. Most ISP news feeds suck.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 20, 2006
  6. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    I'm well aware of the problems introducing someone to the newsgroups.

    Lookout, Dec 21, 2006
  7. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    On 20 Dec 2006 19:24:08 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Tester wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:51:51 -0600, Lookout <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
    >>>available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
    >>>offer ideas on free servers?
    >>>Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
    >>>Thanks

    >> AFAIK Netzero does not provide Ussenet. It appears that Peoplepc.com
    >> which is also a $10/month ISP may provide access to Earthlink's
    >> servers carry mp3's although they are not as good as a premium
    >> service.

    >And Earthlink's servers just quit working for a week and a half, and
    >when they came back up nothing from December 8 to about December 17th
    >appeared on them. Most ISP news feeds suck.

    Ya. I'm watching Earthlink users having fits in the multimedia groups

    Lookout, Dec 21, 2006