    but not really that keen on organising the run of cable with its associated
    drilling and feeding, etc. Does a wireless router or some such thing work
    with win 98? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers T.
    Tony in Oz, Feb 17, 2009

  2. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    Tony in Oz wrote:
    > Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see if
    > anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE. I will be networking only 2
    > machines together, (preferably wirelessly) all they are running is a couple
    > of tills, and an eftpos system. The distance is about 50 or so metres, one
    > brick wall in between, and there is soem outside distance involved (IE they
    > are two separate buildings), both shops. Crossover cable is a possibility,
    > but not really that keen on organising the run of cable with its associated
    > drilling and feeding, etc. Does a wireless router or some such thing work
    > with win 98? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers T.

    I'd use a pair of wireless routers in bridge mode - that way all the PCs
    see is ethernet and Win98 copes with that just fine. Something like a
    pair of Linksys WRT54Gs will work just fine (I look after a couple of
    dozen links using them). For 50m you'll probably get away with
    omni-directional antennae, although something like L5983 from DSE (part
    number from Oz site) will make the connection bulletproof.

    Just set the PCs up side by side via a switch and get everything
    working, then set the 2 WAPs up with encryption and MAC filtering and
    then connect via them, test the link and then move everything to the
    separate buildings.
    EMB, Feb 17, 2009

  3. In message <hEoml.21356$>, Tony in Oz
    wrote:

    > Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
    > if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

    By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself up
    for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2009
  4. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    > In message <hEoml.21356$>, Tony in Oz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
    >> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

    > By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself up
    > for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

    Fair comment, Lawrence, and I happen to agree. However the customer
    wants it to be done with his old machines, he runs a small menswear shop and
    a small flower shop out the back, and he's loath to spend the money on the
    upgrades as long as is W98 machines are still running... although I have
    told him and he understands that these machines could fall over from old age
    any time... Cheers T.
    Tony in Oz, Feb 17, 2009
  5. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:gnd99t$ljq$...
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
    >> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE. I will be networking only
    >> 2 machines together, (preferably wirelessly) all they are running is a
    >> couple of tills, and an eftpos system. The distance is about 50 or so
    >> metres, one brick wall in between, and there is soem outside distance
    >> involved (IE they are two separate buildings), both shops. Crossover
    >> cable is a possibility, but not really that keen on organising the run of
    >> cable with its associated drilling and feeding, etc. Does a wireless
    >> router or some such thing work with win 98? Any thoughts appreciated.
    >> Cheers T.

    > I'd use a pair of wireless routers in bridge mode - that way all the PCs
    > see is ethernet and Win98 copes with that just fine. Something like a
    > pair of Linksys WRT54Gs will work just fine (I look after a couple of
    > dozen links using them). For 50m you'll probably get away with
    > omni-directional antennae, although something like L5983 from DSE (part
    > number from Oz site) will make the connection bulletproof.
    >
    > Just set the PCs up side by side via a switch and get everything working,
    > then set the 2 WAPs up with encryption and MAC filtering and then connect
    > via them, test the link and then move everything to the separate
    > buildings.

    Thanks EMB, I was thinking along similar lines, although you have gone
    into a lot more detail than my brain had...
    Tony in Oz, Feb 17, 2009
  6. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hEoml.21356$>, Tony in Oz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
    >> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

    > By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself up
    > for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

    Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?
    Richard, Feb 17, 2009
  7. In message <gndgor$jc5$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <hEoml.21356$>, Tony in Oz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and
    >>> see if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

    >> By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself
    >> up for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

    > Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

    Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2009
  8. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gndgor$jc5$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself
    >>> up for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

    >> Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

    > Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

    Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
    replaced.
    Richard, Feb 17, 2009
  9. In message <gndjpc$n26$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

    >> Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

    > Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
    > replaced.

    What do you do in the meantime?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2009
  10. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

    >> Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
    >> replaced.

    > What do you do in the meantime?

    Use a spare, surely there are plans in place for failures of any type,
    despite the age of the equipment?
    Richard, Feb 17, 2009
  11. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >>> Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
    >>> replaced.

    >> What do you do in the meantime?

    > Use a spare, surely there are plans in place for failures of any type,
    > despite the age of the equipment?

    Guys, guys.... we are not talking about a flash corporate network
    here, its a small business operator running a couple of old 98 boxes
    currently as stand alone units. He just wants them to work together as a
    simple network without spending much $$. All they do is run his tills and
    his eftpos machines...
    Tony in Oz, Feb 17, 2009
  12. In message <gndm01$q0h$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
    >>> replaced.

    >> What do you do in the meantime?

    > Use a spare, surely there are plans in place for failures of any type,
    > despite the age of the equipment?

    Where are they going to get a spare Dimdows 98 system?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2009
  13. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Where are they going to get a spare Dimdows 98 system?

    I have several - they are a necessary part of some industrial control
    systems.

    And whilst tidying up last weekend I found several new OEM Win95 and
    Win98 packages.
    EMB, Feb 17, 2009
  14. Tony in Oz

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Where are they going to get a spare Dimdows 98 system?
    >>

    > I have several - they are a necessary part of some industrial control
    > systems.
    >
    > And whilst tidying up last weekend I found several new OEM Win95 and
    > Win98 packages.

    It's amazing what you come across. I found an Internet Explorer CD,
    unnumbered hence probably version 1.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The NZ women's cricket team played 5 ODIs against Australia. They won
    the first two lost the second two and lost the Rosebowl because the last
    Enkidu, Feb 17, 2009
  15. In message <gne2do$7bl$>, EMB wrote:

    > And whilst tidying up last weekend I found several new OEM Win95 and
    > Win98 packages.

    Except the Windows OEM licences don't allow transferring the software to a
    different machine.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2009
  16. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gne2do$7bl$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> And whilst tidying up last weekend I found several new OEM Win95 and
    >> Win98 packages.

    > Except the Windows OEM licences don't allow transferring the software to a
    > different machine.

    These are system builder OEM packages that were purchased to go out with
    new systems we were selling - as such they are yet to be tied to any system.
    EMB, Feb 17, 2009
  17. In message <>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <gne2do$7bl$>, EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> And whilst tidying up last weekend I found several new OEM Win95 and
    >>> Win98 packages.

    >> Except the Windows OEM licences don't allow transferring the software to
    >> a different machine.
    >>

    > These are system builder OEM packages that were purchased to go out with
    > new systems we were selling ...

    In other words, you're supposed to sell them, not use them.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2009
  18. In message <58896ek2hql0.1cq99f55l8l7h$>, Bret wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:33:52 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> These are system builder OEM packages that were purchased to go out with
    >>> new systems we were selling ...

    >> In other words, you're supposed to sell them, not use them.

    > Now ou are just being silly, if I buy several OEM copies of Windows, as a
    > system builder I can install Windows on any machine I like as long as I
    > place the certificate of authenticity sticker on the case.
    > End of story.

    Do you still have the proof of purchase? Microsoft doesn't accept the CoA as
    meaning anything.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2009
  19. Tony in Oz

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:58:43 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:48:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Now ou are just being silly, if I buy several OEM copies of Windows, as a
    >>> system builder I can install Windows on any machine I like as long as I
    >>> place the certificate of authenticity sticker on the case.
    >>> End of story.

    >> Do you still have the proof of purchase? Microsoft doesn't accept the CoA as
    >> meaning anything.

    >Why don't you save us the suspense and let us all in on the scenario you
    >are imagining, I can't imagine what problem you are anticipating.

    And would MS really give a flying feck about Win 98!
    Cima, Feb 18, 2009
  20. In message <>, Bret wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:48:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Now ou are just being silly, if I buy several OEM copies of Windows, as
    >>> a system builder I can install Windows on any machine I like as long as
    >>> I place the certificate of authenticity sticker on the case.
    >>> End of story.

    >> Do you still have the proof of purchase? Microsoft doesn't accept the CoA
    >> as meaning anything.

    > Why don't you save us the suspense and let us all in on the scenario you
    > are imagining, I can't imagine what problem you are anticipating.

    I'll take that as a "no".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2009