    use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps I
    can put them both into the newer computer?
    TIA
    EnJay, Sep 19, 2004

  2. EnJay

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:05:54 +0100, "EnJay" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can someone
    >please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I can
    >use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps I
    >can put them both into the newer computer?
    >TIA

    Assuming you are talking PC's here, there are a few variations
    possible, but this is the basic procedure:

    Do both computers have (NIC) Network Interface Cards? Newer
    computers have them built in and for older computers, you would need
    to make sure it was intalled in one of the slots. For both
    computers, you would need to make sure the proper drivers are
    installed for networking, as well.

    Again, assuming PC's, you will want to connect the two computers using
    a straight-through Category 5 cable with RJ-45 connectors at each end.
    This is available at any computer store. Looks like a modular
    telephone connector except it has 8 pins at each end instead of 4.

    Next, you would need to right click on your Network Neighborhood Icon
    and set your Microsoft Networking Protocol or at least check a whole
    bunch of settings that are too long to list here, but basically, you
    are going to be assigning each computer a unique IP address. (Win XP
    procedures are slightly different). At this point, If you have a
    cable/router switch, it may be easier to plug each computer into the
    router and let dynamic addressing assign these settings. Otherwise,
    you will have to do it manually.

    Next, test your network. Go to the DOS prompt and type PING
    xx.xx.xx.xx with the xx.xx.xx.xx representing the IP address of the
    "other" computer. If you get a response, good! It means your
    network is working. If not, you may need to fiddle with your network
    settings, make sure the proper network drivers are installed, and
    lastly check the cable to make sure it is a straight-through cable
    (identical 1-1 pin correspondence at each end).

    Right Click on the C: hard disk for each computer using the built in
    Windows Explorer program. Turn on file sharing for that drive. You
    may asked to be assign passwords. When set up correctly you should be
    able to double click on the Network Neighborhood icon or the My
    Network Places icon (for Win XP) and see the drive on the other
    computer. Congratulations, your network is working!

    To copy files, it is basically drag and drop.

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Sep 19, 2004

  3. EnJay

    Thor Guest

    "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can someone
    > please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I
    > can
    > use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps
    > can put them both into the newer computer?
    > TIA

    Well you could network them, but if you just want the old drives as storage,
    why don't you just buy an external harddrive kit with a USB 2.0 interface?
    Then you just take the drives out of the old machine, install them into the
    external enclosures, and plug them into the USB 2.0 ports of your new
    computer. Much faster throughput than over a LAN, and you don't need to have
    two complete computer systems running just for storage purposes. Whether you
    can install the old drives in the new computer depends on what you already
    have in the new computer. You say they each have two drives? If that's the
    case, you may not have enough internal connections left in the new machine,
    once a CDROM, or CDRW, or DVD drive is factored in. You *might* only have
    one remaining IDE connection inside, if at all. You could buy an additional
    IDE interface card to connect a couple more drives in that case, but I think
    the external enclosure kits would be a better solution, and they are
    portable.
    Thor, Sep 19, 2004
  4. EnJay

    EnJay Guest

    "Beachcomber" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:05:54 +0100, "EnJay" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello
    > >
    > >I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can

    someone
    > >please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I

    can
    > >use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives).

    Perhaps I
    > >can put them both into the newer computer?
    > >TIA
    > >

    > Assuming you are talking PC's here, there are a few variations
    > possible, but this is the basic procedure:
    >
    > Do both computers have (NIC) Network Interface Cards? Newer
    > computers have them built in and for older computers, you would need
    > to make sure it was intalled in one of the slots. For both
    > computers, you would need to make sure the proper drivers are
    > installed for networking, as well.
    >
    > Again, assuming PC's, you will want to connect the two computers using
    > a straight-through Category 5 cable with RJ-45 connectors at each end.
    > This is available at any computer store. Looks like a modular
    > telephone connector except it has 8 pins at each end instead of 4.
    >
    > Next, you would need to right click on your Network Neighborhood Icon
    > and set your Microsoft Networking Protocol or at least check a whole
    > bunch of settings that are too long to list here, but basically, you
    > are going to be assigning each computer a unique IP address. (Win XP
    > procedures are slightly different). At this point, If you have a
    > cable/router switch, it may be easier to plug each computer into the
    > router and let dynamic addressing assign these settings. Otherwise,
    > you will have to do it manually.
    >
    > Next, test your network. Go to the DOS prompt and type PING
    > xx.xx.xx.xx with the xx.xx.xx.xx representing the IP address of the
    > "other" computer. If you get a response, good! It means your
    > network is working. If not, you may need to fiddle with your network
    > settings, make sure the proper network drivers are installed, and
    > lastly check the cable to make sure it is a straight-through cable
    > (identical 1-1 pin correspondence at each end).
    >
    > Right Click on the C: hard disk for each computer using the built in
    > Windows Explorer program. Turn on file sharing for that drive. You
    > may asked to be assign passwords. When set up correctly you should be
    > able to double click on the Network Neighborhood icon or the My
    > Network Places icon (for Win XP) and see the drive on the other
    > computer. Congratulations, your network is working!
    >
    > To copy files, it is basically drag and drop.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    'kin 'ell! Thanks for that. Well that's scared 10 buckets of crap out of me!
    Something to think about though.
    I appreciate your help and advice.
    EnJay, Sep 19, 2004
  5. EnJay

    EnJay Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can

    someone
    > > please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I
    > > can
    > > use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives).

    Perhaps
    > > can put them both into the newer computer?
    > > TIA

    > Well you could network them, but if you just want the old drives as

    storage,
    > why don't you just buy an external harddrive kit with a USB 2.0 interface?
    > Then you just take the drives out of the old machine, install them into

    the
    > external enclosures, and plug them into the USB 2.0 ports of your new
    > computer. Much faster throughput than over a LAN, and you don't need to

    have
    > two complete computer systems running just for storage purposes. Whether

    you
    > can install the old drives in the new computer depends on what you already
    > have in the new computer. You say they each have two drives? If that's the
    > case, you may not have enough internal connections left in the new

    machine,
    > once a CDROM, or CDRW, or DVD drive is factored in. You *might* only have
    > one remaining IDE connection inside, if at all. You could buy an

    additional
    > IDE interface card to connect a couple more drives in that case, but I

    think
    > the external enclosure kits would be a better solution, and they are
    > portable.

    I think I prefer this method to Beachcombers method. I kno,w I did ask about
    networking, little did I think it was going to be that heavy going. As you
    pointed out, do I really need 2 machines running just for storage?
    Thanks for your help and advice.
    EnJay, Sep 19, 2004
  6. EnJay

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:52:00 +0100, "EnJay" <>
    wrote:

    >"Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hello
    >> >
    >> > I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can

    >someone
    >> > please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I
    >> > can
    >> > use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives).

    >Perhaps
    >> > can put them both into the newer computer?
    >> > TIA

    >> Well you could network them, but if you just want the old drives as

    >storage,
    >> why don't you just buy an external harddrive kit with a USB 2.0 interface?
    >> Then you just take the drives out of the old machine, install them into

    >the
    >> external enclosures, and plug them into the USB 2.0 ports of your new
    >> computer. Much faster throughput than over a LAN, and you don't need to

    >have
    >> two complete computer systems running just for storage purposes. Whether

    >you
    >> can install the old drives in the new computer depends on what you already
    >> have in the new computer. You say they each have two drives? If that's the
    >> case, you may not have enough internal connections left in the new

    >machine,
    >> once a CDROM, or CDRW, or DVD drive is factored in. You *might* only have
    >> one remaining IDE connection inside, if at all. You could buy an

    >additional
    >> IDE interface card to connect a couple more drives in that case, but I

    >think
    >> the external enclosure kits would be a better solution, and they are
    >> portable.
    >>

    >I think I prefer this method to Beachcombers method. I kno,w I did ask about
    >networking, little did I think it was going to be that heavy going. As you
    >pointed out, do I really need 2 machines running just for storage?
    >Thanks for your help and advice.

    Didn't mean to scare you. Actually networking is pretty easy once
    you get going.

    The hardest part with older computers is really making sure that you
    have everything you need. This would include installing a compatible
    Network Interface Card, finding and loading the correct drivers, and
    then doing the settings in Network Neighborhood Properties. This
    would be for WIN98 or WIN2000 NT.

    If you have WIN XP, it's actually easier. Many of the drivers and
    settings are preset for (almost) plug-and-play networking. As I said,
    if you connect to a router switch like a cable modem, it is easier
    still.

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Sep 20, 2004
  7. EnJay

    Plato Guest

    http://www.wown1.com/
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    Plato, Sep 20, 2004
  8. EnJay

    EnJay Guest

    > >I think I prefer this method to Beachcombers method. I kno,w I did ask

    about
    > >networking, little did I think it was going to be that heavy going. As

    you
    > >pointed out, do I really need 2 machines running just for storage?
    > >Thanks for your help and advice.
    > >

    > Didn't mean to scare you. Actually networking is pretty easy once
    > you get going.
    >
    > The hardest part with older computers is really making sure that you
    > have everything you need. This would include installing a compatible
    > Network Interface Card, finding and loading the correct drivers, and
    > then doing the settings in Network Neighborhood Properties. This
    > would be for WIN98 or WIN2000 NT.
    >
    > If you have WIN XP, it's actually easier. Many of the drivers and
    > settings are preset for (almost) plug-and-play networking. As I said,
    > if you connect to a router switch like a cable modem, it is easier
    > still.
    >
    > Beachcomber

    I do have XP so it sounds easier. Thing is, I am not eally hardware
    confident. I do have 2 ways to go at least and I do know that the other
    system is fully functional. All I need to do is F disk both drives.
    Thanks for all the info and 2 sensible replies. Thanks
    EnJay, Sep 20, 2004