    Can someone link me to a site where I can set up my network for 2
    computers? I can't get them to communicate or recognize each other.
    (using windows xp) Thanks
    Dan, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Dan

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dan <> wrote in news:VX%Jc.83$:

    > Can someone link me to a site where I can set up my network for 2
    > computers? I can't get them to communicate or recognize each other.
    > (using windows xp) Thanks

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Dan

    DC Guest

    DC, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Dan

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dan <> wrote in news:VX%Jc.83$:

    > Can someone link me to a site where I can set up my network for 2
    > computers? I can't get them to communicate or recognize each other.
    > (using windows xp) Thanks

    I didn't see the first one I sent so if it shows twice -- hey.

    Duane Arnold, Jul 17, 2004
  5. Dan

    Jerry G. Guest

    The information below was extracted from the Help Menu in XP. If you go to
    the search section and type "peer to peer" without the " , you should come
    up with this page. Start from that point on.

    This will have to be done to both machines. You will require a Peer To Peer
    type cable between the two machines. If you are not using a router, make
    sure that the cable is not a Patch cable, and it is a Peer To Peer type
    cable. Many people make this mistake with the cable type. Some of the
    dealers are not even aware of this!

    Home or small office network overview
    In your home or small office, you might have more than one computer. You
    might also have other hardware devices such as printers, scanners, or
    cameras. With all of these computers and devices, sharing files, folders,
    and your Internet connection is the ideal solution.

    A home or small office network is a way for you to use other computers or
    equipment without actually being at those computers. You can work on photos
    and files with other family members or co-workers while surfing the Internet
    at the same time.

    Using Windows, there are numerous ways to connect computers or create a
    network. For homes and small offices, the most common model is peer-to-peer
    networking.

    A peer-to-peer network, also called a workgroup, is commonly used for home
    and small business networks. In this model, computers directly communicate
    with each other and do not require a server to manage network resources. In
    general, a peer-to-peer network is most appropriate for arrangements where
    there are less than ten computers located in the same general area. The
    computers in a workgroup are considered peers because they are all equal and
    share resources among each other without requiring a server. Each user
    determines which data on their computer will be shared with the network.
    Sharing common resources allows users to print from a single printer, access
    information in shared folders, and work on a single file without
    transferring it to a floppy disk.

    A home or small office network is similar to a telephone system. On a
    network, each computer has a network adapter that acts like a phone handset;
    just as you use the handset for talking and listening, the computer uses the
    network device to send and receive information to and from other computers
    on the network. With home or small office networking, you can:

    a.. Use one computer to secure your entire network and protect your
    Internet connection.
    b.. Share one Internet connection with all of the computers on your
    network.
    c.. Work on files stored on any computer on the network.
    d.. Share printers with all of the computers.
    e.. Play multi-player games.
    Successfully setting up your home or small office network is a two-part
    process:

    1.. Install and configure the appropriate hardware on each computer. Some
    hardware might require additional configuration to get connected to the
    Internet. For more information, click Related Topics.
    2.. Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer in your home or small
    office network.
    The Network Setup Wizard guides you through Internet Connection Sharing,
    enabling Internet Connection Firewall and network bridging, naming your
    computer, and providing a computer description.

    You can set up one computer to communicate to the Internet using Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS). ICS provides the relay for all computers in your
    home or small office network to communicate with the Internet through a
    single connection at the same time. Other members of your family can surf
    the Web, check their e-mail, and play Internet games through a single
    connection.

    Notes

    a.. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, point to Settings,
    click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections. Under Common
    Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.
    b.. The Network Setup Wizard is only supported on computers using Windows
    98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP Home
    Edition, and Windows XP Professional.
    c.. Before setting up your home or small office network, make sure the
    computer sharing its Internet connection can access the Internet.
    d.. Your ISP might charge you for having multiple Internet connections.
    Check with your Internet service provider for details.
    Related Topics

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Jul 17, 2004
  6. Dan

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:30:48 -0400, Jerry G. wrote:

    >The information below was extracted from the Help Menu in XP. If you go to
    >the search section and type "peer to peer" without the " , you should come
    >up with this page. Start from that point on.

    In that case you didn't need to paste it all in.

    >This will have to be done to both machines. You will require a Peer To Peer
    >type cable between the two machines. If you are not using a router, make

    What is a 'Peer to Peer' cable?

    Peer to peer is a non server based sharing resource environment.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/peer_to_peer_architecture.html

    To connect similar equipment together, i.e. PC to PC, the type of cable
    for RJ45 UTP Ethernet is called a crossover cable. The alternative for
    dissimilar i.e. PC to switch/repeater/router is a patch cable.

    >sure that the cable is not a Patch cable, and it is a Peer To Peer type
    >cable. Many people make this mistake with the cable type. Some of the
    >dealers are not even aware of this!

    If silly new names are used why not?

    >Home or small office network overview
    >In your home or small office, you might have more than one computer. You

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jul 17, 2004