    a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
    laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
    the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

    Dsquared, Jan 5, 2008

  2. Dsquared

    Lem Guest

    Dsquared wrote:
    > I am setting up a network for my father-in-law. He has an e-machines desktop
    > running MCE, and a Compaq laptop running HE. The desktop is connected to FIOS
    > via LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router (lan). The laptop connects via integrated
    > wireless card thru the router. I can connect the laptop to the internet, no
    > problem. After running the home office setup, I can see the laptop from the
    > desktop, and access shared folders and files. But I cannot see the folders
    > and printers connected to the desktop. I have enabled file & printer sharing,
    > enabled firewalls to allownetwork traffic, and the desktop is set to SFS.
    >
    > I connected the laptop to my home network with no problems (HE desktop
    > connectet via lan to D-Link wireless router; another HE desktop connected
    > with a LinkSys USB wireless adapter: and a HE laptop connected via integrated
    > adapter). I am able to add printers, see all files and folders, etc etc etc.
    >
    > If there is any other info needed, let me know. I will happily share! I have
    > a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
    > laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
    > the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

    I know that you wrote that you had set your firewalls to allow network
    traffic, but double-check the desktop to make sure that whatever
    antivirus application is running does not *also* have a firewall (Norton
    a/v, for example, has something called "Internet Worm Protection" that
    is, in fact, a firewall).

    Also check the list of running processes in Task Manager -- there may be
    a secondary firewall running that you were not aware of. If this is the
    case, you'll want to disable all but one firewall.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Dsquared

    Dsquared Guest

    Excellent advice!! Desktop has McAfee security center provided by msn.
    Shecked the settings and found a "network" tab. Told it to trust network, and
    everything fell into place!!!

    Thanks a million!!

    Dsquared, Jan 7, 2008
  4. Dsquared

    Lem Guest

    Dsquared wrote:
    > Excellent advice!! Desktop has McAfee security center provided by msn.
    > Shecked the settings and found a "network" tab. Told it to trust network, and
    > everything fell into place!!!
    >
    > Thanks a million!!
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Dsquared wrote:
    >>> I am setting up a network for my father-in-law. He has an e-machines desktop
    >>> running MCE, and a Compaq laptop running HE. The desktop is connected to FIOS
    >>> via LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router (lan). The laptop connects via integrated
    >>> wireless card thru the router. I can connect the laptop to the internet, no
    >>> problem. After running the home office setup, I can see the laptop from the
    >>> desktop, and access shared folders and files. But I cannot see the folders
    >>> and printers connected to the desktop. I have enabled file & printer sharing,
    >>> enabled firewalls to allownetwork traffic, and the desktop is set to SFS.
    >>>
    >>> I connected the laptop to my home network with no problems (HE desktop
    >>> connectet via lan to D-Link wireless router; another HE desktop connected
    >>> with a LinkSys USB wireless adapter: and a HE laptop connected via integrated
    >>> adapter). I am able to add printers, see all files and folders, etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>> If there is any other info needed, let me know. I will happily share! I have
    >>> a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
    >>> laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
    >>> the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

    >> I know that you wrote that you had set your firewalls to allow network
    >> traffic, but double-check the desktop to make sure that whatever
    >> antivirus application is running does not *also* have a firewall (Norton
    >> a/v, for example, has something called "Internet Worm Protection" that
    >> is, in fact, a firewall).
    >>
    >> Also check the list of running processes in Task Manager -- there may be
    >> a secondary firewall running that you were not aware of. If this is the
    >> case, you'll want to disable all but one firewall.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    You're welcome. Thanks for posting back.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 7, 2008