    --
    Regards

    Mike [delete field in mail]
    Mike, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Mike

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.homepna.org/

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Mike wrote:
    | Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network
    | home machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline
    | network
    | adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone wiring.
    | Can I do this simply by coupling the modem cables for each machine
    | such that the 98 line goes where the out to phone line would run in
    | the XP modem. If this is possible in terms of hardware how do I set
    | it up the software. Many thanks.

    no

    --
    Gazwad

    Freelance scientist and people tester.
    Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
    Moderator: alt.warez.uk
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Mike

    Sultan Guest

    Mike wrote in news:c0gq94$gjb$:

    > Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network
    > home machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline
    > network adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone
    > wiring. Can I do this simply by coupling the modem cables for each
    > machine such that the 98 line goes where the out to phone line would
    > run in the XP modem. If this is possible in terms of hardware how do I
    > set it up the software. Many thanks.

    Linksys sells this as a kit and it works great for the customers I've
    installed for. Personally I still like using Cat5e instead but for those
    that don't want to run additional wires or don't want the expense of
    wireless this is a great solution.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Sultan wrote:
    | Mike wrote in news:c0gq94$gjb$:
    |
    || Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network
    || home machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline
    || network adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone
    || wiring. Can I do this simply by coupling the modem cables for each
    || machine such that the 98 line goes where the out to phone line would
    || run in the XP modem. If this is possible in terms of hardware how do
    || I set it up the software. Many thanks.
    |
    | Linksys sells this as a kit and it works great for the customers I've
    | installed for. Personally I still like using Cat5e instead but for
    | those that don't want to run additional wires or don't want the
    | expense of wireless this is a great solution.
    |
    | Sultan

    If you knew anything about HPNA you'd realise that the kit comprises an
    adapter to connect between the USB port and the phone line.

    Now since the OP asked if he could simply use the modem already in his PC
    please explain why you didn't actually answer the questions posed.

    You useless streak of period piss.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Mike

    Ron G Guest

    I've been doing this successfully for a couple of years -- XP laptop
    connected to two Win98se machines, one of which is a server. The server
    has a linksys card, the XP and other use USB adaptors. This said, it is
    very, very difficult to find telephone adaptors. In fact, the only place
    I could find them was on eBay, which was recently selling them from SMC
    for about five bucks each. XP is a bit grumpy at times, but by and large
    with a little tweaking all works very well at about 10MPS. Incidentally,
    my phone line is one that is NOT shared with a working telephone, it's
    an extra one in our house. If you go this route and want to access the
    web off your clients you will need a software program like WinProxy; the
    one that came with my Linksys card is a real turkey. Hope this helps.

    Ron G, Feb 13, 2004