Networking XP and Win98

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by the_riderNOSPAM@hotmailNOSPAM.com, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.

    On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet mask,
    told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
    machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.

    I can't ping the other machines or the gateway, even though the link light
    in on, on the NIC.

    I can ping 127.0.0.1, which is expected. I've got to the point of not being
    able to see the forest for the trees.

    I've set up this sort of network before, but its the week before Xmas and
    I'm running out of time for all my other work.

    What have I missed? I've turned on Client for MS Networks, and File and
    Print sharing and made one shared folder.

    Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me while I
    do more interesting stuff.

    Cheers
    Rider

    P.S. Yes yes ... I've Googled, and am Googling right now.

    , Dec 20, 2005

  2. Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Rider Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "" <>
    > wrote in news:p1Ppf.9206$:
    >
    >> Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me
    >> while I do more interesting stuff.
    >>

    > Some tips here:
    > http://www.gi.alaska.edu/services/crc/win-net-trouble.htm
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/server/reskit/
    > en-us/net/sur_tbls.mspx
    >
    > Got a firewall on that 98 box, or a nasty LSP?
    > Google LSPfix.

    Cheers Dave

    The annoying part is I know this stuff. Worked on many systems just like ti
    with no issues. Week before Xmas and too many hours working at night and my
    brains gone dead.

    I appreciate the help

    Rider

    Rider, Dec 20, 2005
  4. On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:12:08 +1300,
    "" <>
    wrote:

    >I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.
    >
    >On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet mask,
    >told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
    >machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.

    doesnt want to know what?

    what do you get when you type ipconfig /all
    can you ping other machines?

    Images of home (NZ)
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

    John in Surrey, Dec 20, 2005
  5. In article <1iPpf.9210$>,
    says...
    > > Got a firewall on that 98 box, or a nasty LSP?
    > > Google LSPfix.
    > >

    > Cheers Dave
    >
    > The annoying part is I know this stuff. Worked on many systems just like ti
    > with no issues. Week before Xmas and too many hours working at night and my
    > brains gone dead.
    >
    > I appreciate the help
    >
    > Rider

    Well if you can't ping other than localhost then that suggests to me that
    you're being locked out, by firewall or by XP.
    There is a mechanism in XP (came in with either SP1 or SP2) that won't allow
    other machines to connect if they have a default blank password. In '98 you
    could log on to other machines so long as you were logged into the '98 machine
    - with the default setup of the newer XPs you need to change an administrative
    setting that allows other machines with blank password to connect.

    I think I found the howto documented on www.wown.com (World Of Windows
    Networking) - can't repeat the fix from the top of my head.

    I've had netbios/browsermaster problems that I could only solve by installing
    netbeui on the '98 and XP machines - but they were always ping-able to start
    with, so that doesn't appear to apply.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Rider Guest

    "John in Surrey" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:12:08 +1300,
    > "" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.
    >>
    >>On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet
    >>mask,
    >>told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
    >>machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.

    > doesnt want to know what?
    >
    > what do you get when you type ipconfig /all
    > can you ping other machines?

    Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
    ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address manually
    to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

    I've tried releasing and renewing via winipcfg ... that didn't seem to do
    jack. I originally thought it might be because the guys login had no
    password, so I created a new login with a password and I still get the same
    results.

    Rider

    Rider, Dec 20, 2005
  7. EMB Guest

    Rider wrote:

    > Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
    > ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address manually
    > to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

    Try another cable!

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 20, 2005
  8. Rider Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >>
    >> Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
    >> ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address
    >> manually to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

    > Try another cable!

    I was thinking that as well ... but the bloody cable is brand new. Bought
    it just before I started trying to set this machine up. But I will try
    another cable as I'm kinda running out of ideas.

    Rider

    Rider, Dec 20, 2005
  9. steve Guest

    wrote:

    > Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me while
    > I do more interesting stuff.

    One possible solution is to set up a Linux PC with Samba (windows sharing)
    and use it as the common link between XP and Win98.

    I've had trouble getting the two Windows to work together nicely in the
    past, too, but by using a Linux-based print / file server betwen them, I
    was able to get past the ocassional problem.

    No doubt there are other answers......but this one was easy and free.

    steve, Dec 21, 2005
  10. steve Guest

    Rider wrote:

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
    >>> ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address
    >>> manually to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

    >> Try another cable!
    >>

    > I was thinking that as well ... but the bloody cable is brand new. Bought
    > it just before I started trying to set this machine up. But I will try
    > another cable as I'm kinda running out of ideas.
    >
    > Rider

    Make sure there isn't a dead spider in the rj45 slot on the network card /
    PC.

    I've had to literally scrape a bug or two out of a network card to get clean
    connects between the plug and socket.

    steve, Dec 21, 2005
  11. Rider Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >

    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try another cable!
    >>>

    >> I was thinking that as well ... but the bloody cable is brand new.
    >> Bought
    >> it just before I started trying to set this machine up. But I will try
    >> another cable as I'm kinda running out of ideas.
    >>
    >> Rider

    > Make sure there isn't a dead spider in the rj45 slot on the network card /
    > PC.
    >
    > I've had to literally scrape a bug or two out of a network card to get
    > clean
    > connects between the plug and socket.

    Funny you should say that ... there was a huge dead spider in the bottom of
    the case.

    LoL

    Rider, Dec 21, 2005
  12. Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > I think I found the howto documented on www.wown.com (World Of Windows
    > Networking) - can't repeat the fix from the top of my head.

    Enable anon/guest is a quick fix

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 21, 2005
  13. Dave Taylor Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in

    > Funny you should say that ... there was a huge dead spider in the
    > bottom of the case.

    Eliminate hardware by using linux Live cd or windows bart pe equiv.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 21, 2005
  14. Rob J Guest

    In article <p1Ppf.9206$>,
    says...
    > I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.
    >
    > On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet mask,
    > told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
    > machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.
    >
    > I can't ping the other machines or the gateway, even though the link light
    > in on, on the NIC.
    >
    > I can ping 127.0.0.1, which is expected. I've got to the point of not being
    > able to see the forest for the trees.
    >
    > I've set up this sort of network before, but its the week before Xmas and
    > I'm running out of time for all my other work.
    >
    > What have I missed? I've turned on Client for MS Networks, and File and
    > Print sharing and made one shared folder.
    >
    > Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me while I
    > do more interesting stuff.

    Some cards are notoriously hard to set up on Windows 98 - I remember
    when I got a realtek card for the first time how easy it was.

    Do you have a firewall such as Zonealarm? if so you need to put the ip
    address of the other machine(s) in the trusted zone. Windows XP will
    enable file/print sharing through the Windows firewall automagically.

    Rob J, Dec 21, 2005
  15. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <p1Ppf.9206$>,
    says...
    > I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.
    >
    > On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet mask,
    > told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
    > machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.
    >
    > I can't ping the other machines or the gateway, even though the link light
    > in on, on the NIC.
    >
    > I can ping 127.0.0.1, which is expected. I've got to the point of not being
    > able to see the forest for the trees.
    >
    > I've set up this sort of network before, but its the week before Xmas and
    > I'm running out of time for all my other work.
    >
    > What have I missed? I've turned on Client for MS Networks, and File and
    > Print sharing and made one shared folder.
    >
    > Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me while I
    > do more interesting stuff.

    Got a WINS server up for 98 machines?

    --
    Duncan