    Thanks.

    -Fleemo

    , Jun 7, 2007

  2. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
    > cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
    > than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,
    > but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
    > when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector
    > end? Any suggestions on where to order?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Fleemo

    Fleemo

    Cat 5 cable comes in two basic types.

    1. Solid conductor
    For routing through walls as a permanent installation. This type is usually
    sold as a 305M reel, or as a cut length if bought from a retailer. The usual
    way to 'connect' this type of Cat 5 is to mount a wall plate at each end and
    to 'punch' the wires into an RJ45 wall plate socket.

    2. Multi Strand conductor.
    Known as a 'Patch' cable the wire is multi stranded to handle the flexing of
    the cable in daily use. This type of cable usually comes in standard lengths
    1M, 2M, 5M etc up to 100M (Cat 5's maximum length) with a standard RJ45 plug
    on each end.

    Whole lot of websites here to get detailed info from
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=rj45 wiring&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Herb Stein Guest

    Or, try http://www.herbstein.com/rj-45.html

    --
    Herb

    Herb Stein, Jun 8, 2007
  4. why? Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:03:53 -0700, wrote:

    >I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
    >cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
    >than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,

    Or Cat5e, Cat6 , you might not find Cat5 nowdays.

    >but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
    >when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector

    The plugs are 8P8C type, commomly called RJ-45, because it looks the
    same - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ-45

    For Ethernet it's a standard connector.

    As PeeCee said, abou the cable types, if you run through walls etc you
    use solid core cable to wallboxe. From the wallbox to the kit is
    stranded cable.

    For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
    issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
    plugs through.

    >end? Any suggestions on where to order?

    Just about any computer store / dealer whould have the right bits for
    you.

    It shouldn't matter if you are doing the going through wall thing and
    need wallboxes, solid core cable + a couple of patch cables or buy a
    premade cable the right length. For the 2nd option you would most likely
    want a wallbox anyway just to keep it neat anyway, getting 1 with a
    cutout instead of a RJ-45 sockrt or a blank faceplate to make your own
    cutout.

    Your comcast email sugests a US location. So I won't mention any UK
    stores :)

    >Thanks.
    >
    >-Fleemo

    Me

    why?, Jun 8, 2007
  5. WhzzKdd Guest

    > For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
    > issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
    > plugs through.

    Yeah - I did that. 100 foot cable, big holes in the floor <grin>! Used the
    hot glue gun to fill the holes back around the cable. This was at home - not
    at work. I'd never be that sloppy at the office :)

    Which reminds me: I've maxed out my AC at the wall outlet at the office
    (remember the vacuum cleaner?) so now I have to have the plant electricians
    (finally) run a dedicated 30A line. We'll put a much larger capacity UPS
    there, and should really elimate several problems at one time. We're looking
    at a Tripplite Smart3000net, since I already have an additional battery
    (from my current unit) that will plug in and increase the runtime. That will
    give us room for one or two more servers when we need to as well. (The boss
    is thinking ahead for once!)

    WhzzKdd, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
    > cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
    > than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,
    > but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
    > when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector
    > end? Any suggestions on where to order?

    Networking

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/...indows_XP_Networking_Microsoft_Windows_XP.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 10, 2007
  7. why? Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:08:21 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    >> For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
    >> issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
    >> plugs through.
    >>

    >Yeah - I did that. 100 foot cable, big holes in the floor <grin>! Used the
    >hot glue gun to fill the holes back around the cable. This was at home - not
    >at work. I'd never be that sloppy at the office :)

    We used to have some wiring done by the local site management, power
    phones etc. They treated UTP the same as phone cables :)

    >Which reminds me: I've maxed out my AC at the wall outlet at the office
    >(remember the vacuum cleaner?) so now I have to have the plant electricians

    Yes.

    >(finally) run a dedicated 30A line. We'll put a much larger capacity UPS
    >there, and should really elimate several problems at one time. We're looking
    >at a Tripplite Smart3000net, since I already have an additional battery

    Small stuff :) , although still small scale ours is
    http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt230/largeups/galaxy/galapw.htm
    + 4 battery cabinets.

    >(from my current unit) that will plug in and increase the runtime. That will
    >give us room for one or two more servers when we need to as well. (The boss
    >is thinking ahead for once!)

    That's a shocker!

    Me

    why?, Jun 10, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd Guest

    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:08:21 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
    >>> issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
    >>> plugs through.
    >>>

    >>Yeah - I did that. 100 foot cable, big holes in the floor <grin>! Used the
    >>hot glue gun to fill the holes back around the cable. This was at home -
    >>not
    >>at work. I'd never be that sloppy at the office :)

    > We used to have some wiring done by the local site management, power
    > phones etc. They treated UTP the same as phone cables :)

    Yeah - I had the plant maintenance crew string one line of CAT5e for a
    connection from a PC to a CNC machine less than 100 feet away. They buggered
    it. Direct line of sight. Out the office wall, up to the rafters, over to
    the machine, drop down. Buggered. I guess they figure they can tug on it and
    pull it around tight corners like their 8 gauge AC lines <g>

    >>Which reminds me: I've maxed out my AC at the wall outlet at the office
    >>(remember the vacuum cleaner?) so now I have to have the plant
    >>electricians
    >>(finally) run a dedicated 30A line. We'll put a much larger capacity UPS
    >>there, and should really elimate several problems at one time. We're
    >>looking
    >>at a Tripplite Smart3000net, since I already have an additional battery

    > Small stuff :) , although still small scale ours is
    > http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt230/largeups/galaxy/galapw.htm
    > + 4 battery cabinets.

    Major. That would be a bit overkill for us - we have 2 small servers and are
    planning on adding two more. That's because we are planning on moving away
    from the AS/400 we currently have (different location, different operator -
    "not my problem") and into more contemporary software.

    >>(from my current unit) that will plug in and increase the runtime. That
    >>will
    >>give us room for one or two more servers when we need to as well. (The
    >>boss
    >>is thinking ahead for once!)

    > That's a shocker!

    For sure <g>! And the same with the Windows server software - skipping the
    SBS edition and going with the Standard so we don't have issues with growth
    and exceeding the SBS limits. I've still got to sell them on the MS Software
    Assurance so we get the Server 2008 when it comes out (this is MS - maybe I
    should say IF it comes out.)

    WhzzKdd, Jun 10, 2007
  9. Guest

    Just wanted to say a quick "Thanks!" to everyone for all the info
    here. Much appreciated. :)

    -Fleemo

    , Jun 12, 2007